Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times

Advertisements

H4H is now taking donations of material and money for repairs of homes where build by them or not. It's not in the works quite yet but they are starting to take donations. I spoke with someone recently who told me she saw a flyer on the project. The project will be for low income people.

Homes seem to start needing repairs at about 10 years of age or remodel anyways. This is why most people only keep their homes for about 10 years H4H, poor, middle class perhaps even upper class unsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
H4H is now taking donations of material and money for repairs of homes where build by them or not. It's not in the works quite yet but they are starting to take donations. I spoke with someone recently who told me she saw a flyer on the project. The project will be for low income people.

Homes seem to start needing repairs at about 10 years of age or remodel anyways. This is why most people only keep their homes for about 10 years H4H, poor, middle class perhaps even upper class unsure.
I'm talking about a normal everyday remodel. The ones on the show may be different since these people may or may not know the specifics on the products.

I've had my home now going on 18 years and let me tell you between pets and kids I have had to do quite a few repairs myself. I would love to have alittle help from H4H. It would really take a huge burden off my shoulders.

Lets not forget about people who help out and don't do a good job some I think mess up on purpose I think. Add that to being poor, I mean the poor workmanship. A poor person doesn't stand a chance. Thank God I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I have put up with alot of repairs being need till I got the money to fix them. But when you got to fix some over and over again then add hurricanes on top of it after the hurricanes I was ready to walk away from it all let me tell you. Hurricanes then people wanting to mess up my house. I'm still rectifying mistakes by people after Charley. And these people who helped out were in the hurricane themselves and still messed up on purpose.
But I have since done alot of work on my home and still doing more. I pray that H4H gets funding soon and starts up.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:17 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
This happened about fifteen years ago when houses were sprouting up like grass in spring in socal. My bil is/was a supervisor for a local framing company. They were required to inspect and sign off the job before it was declared "done". They were buying a house being built nearby and so he showed up daily to see how things were going. Since they knew he was in the industry nobody bothered him. Or noticed he was taking notes.

After a couple of days his house was said to be "done" and he ran into a supervisor. He gave them a list, somewhat long, of things which were wrong and wanted them fixed. The supervisor said sure. Next day he arrived and the outside of the house was up. One of the problems he noted was that the upper story windows were framed crooked. From the street he could tell they were still crooked. They almost backed out. But he came back and looked around at the neighbors houses too.

The moved in. The blinds all fell into a little bunch on the uneven side of the window. Other things had plainly not been fixed as well. The porch light wouldn't turn on. Turns out the electircal wiring had never been installed. He talked with the neighbors, sharing his list. The builder had paid a deposit he got back when it was sold/transfered. They neighbors got together and sued the builder.

With the paperword they had it was an easy win. The builder had to go back and tear out material to fix numerous things on numerous houses or they got the deposit to pay someone else. The court also ordered a second inspection in case he'd missed anything. The house is still doing fine though he's done a lot of additional work on it himself.

But when you hear of the people with blatent mistakes its good to hear they didn't get by with it atleast once.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,226 times
Default Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Free homes, can't complain. Want protection? Should have gotten homeowner's insurance.

Insurance paid in full for the entire year is required by H4H before closing. It is possible some people lack the I.Q. to file a claim.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 316 times
The homes are not free. The homeowners have to pay payments just like everybody else. They just don't pay interest on the loans.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glife View Post
The homes are not free. The homeowners have to pay payments just like everybody else. They just don't pay interest on the loans.
No need to dig up a nearly decade old thread.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:10 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The hate that right wingers feel toward Habitat for Humanity always impresses me. But you know your excuses for hating it better than I ever could.

OP, like a typical RW "reader" you got only as far as the (2009 reanimation of 2007-ish news) article title, which manages not only to state that the houses themselves were "built by Hollywood" but to avoid specifying which homes out of 350,000 were "starting to crumble." You concluded as you were supposed to that "[all of] Jimmy Carter's Habitat For Humanity homes are [sic] falling apart." (Or you did read further and you did understand that it wasn't anywhere near all the homes in trouble, but went ahead with the misleading headline and statement anyway? Not to mention that this is an ancient story and the Mail wasn't even reporting fresh news.* Were you misleading or misled? Either way it's pretty classic RW-sneaky.)

Except, the one original thought in the OP is puzzling:"Will he and his Hollywood celebrity friends be willing to pay union construction workers to repair the work Carter and friends performed?" So you're acknowledging publicly that you believe union work is better than non-union work? Not exactly the sentiments of a freedom-loving patriot

* Somehow it neglects to mention that as of 2007 HabiJax had already paid for a tremendous amount of repair work, according to this NYT article on Fairway Oaks, from the same year. Michelle Malkin (who naturally blames the people with several feet of garbage under their floorboards, in her version "Jimmy Carter & Habitat for Humanity: Celebrity slum lords?") and Little Green Footballs ("Charity homes built by Carter the Jew hater and Hollywood start to crumble/Too bad they aren't in Gaza") picked up the story, which is odd since the Mail story had no fresh news. Just keeping the hate alive I guess.

Even the lawyer in your article does not claim that the work done by the volunteers was shoddy; part of the development was built on a landfill.

By "friends" in "Carter and friends", do you mean the 10,000 volunteers or do you mean successful actors and musicians who contribute money to H for H and help to publicize it? (Many thousands of people and organizations donate to H for H, not just the Hollywood slebs that right wingers are so fascinated by.) I didn't see anything in your article saying that slebs helped build these homes in Jacksonville.

What other Habitat for Humanity building projects are falling apart? These houses in question are some of the houses situated on part of a plot of land HabiJax bought in Jacksonville and built a total of 85 houses on; H for H has built "over 350,000 houses around the world, providing more than 1.75 million people in 3,000 communities with safe, decent, affordable shelter." But out of 350,000, you gleefully attack because of >85.

Great job! Well written! Thank you for putting forth the effort to defend this outstanding program! Not to mention the genuine and humble humanitarian/statesman, Jimmy Carter! A true patriot and human being worthy of his Nobel Peace Prize and of emulation by other Americans!

BTW: Why has a 10 year old thread been resurrected?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 11-27-2018 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-27-2018, 05:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
If the homes passed building inspection, I'd say that HfH upheld their part of the job. Now the recipients of free homes want life-time warranties with them.
The home isn't free. Please educate yourself.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Here's a recent WaPo article about 5 Habitat for Humanity built homes that survived Hurricane Michael:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.dc38676b0ea0

Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The home isn't free. Please educate yourself.
I think that may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies