Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Solution or Problem
1 - Govt is always the Solution 0 0%
2 3 4.55%
3 6 9.09%
4 - Sometimes the Solution, sometimes the Problem 17 25.76%
5 10 15.15%
6 11 16.67%
7 - Govt is always the Problem 19 28.79%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've visited local meat plants. No problem at all. And even if I couldn't, with more local businesses word spreads of any bad things...
BS. Try getting into the big plant here in Greeley, CO, or any other major plant, not some roadside deer butchering shop in podunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I would generally say the government, which often doesn't really reflect voter sentiments. For example, the DoD has significant Republican support, yet frequently wastes incredible amounts of money on duplicate efforts between the Services and incomplete development projects.

How many of the voters know that DoD isn't funded via a single appropriation from Congress, and that the Air Force, Navy/Marine Corps and Army are all directly funded by Congress? Even if known, do you think that they understand the implications of this sloppy process?
but they can keep track of what their reps do and how they vote, and keep in constant contact with them. Doubt many people would support it here, but i have read elsewhere that we should have far more congressman than we do, so that we each have a better chance to have our voice heard. Dont know how well that would work out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
The federal government in its current form is flawed. Our federal government has put the needs of others before the needs of United States. We give billions in foreign aid to fight aids, feed the poor, help foreign governments, help foreign militaries, etc. Our military families need that money. Our hungry citizens need to be fed. Our country needs help fighting aids. Our government needs to add more money to the budget to fight our own growing deficit. Our federal government has done a great job selling us out, that seems to be the only thing they are good at. The federal government needs to realize there are people suffering in our own country, many have been suffering for a long time.

I was watching something today that suggested that if the US stopped sending foreign food aid to Africa, within a year or two half a billion people would die. I dont think your avg american could accept that.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
BS. Try getting into the big plant here in Greeley, CO, or any other major plant, not some roadside deer butchering shop in podunk.
LOL That's because they're hiding something from you, yet you still will buy and consume their products?

This thread contains perfect examples of two differing ways of thinking: one prefers to accept personal responsibility, the other wants someone else to take care of them.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
We had more industry in the early 1900's than currently.
China didn't.

Walmart wasn't.

Go figure.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
but they can keep track of what their reps do and how they vote, and keep in constant contact with them. Doubt many people would support it here, but i have read elsewhere that we should have far more congressman than we do, so that we each have a better chance to have our voice heard. Dont know how well that would work out though.
Congressional voting is only part of the issue, much of what they decide and appropriate is not executed in a manner they expect by the bureaucrats. Often, it isn't due to the bureaucrats being inept, as opposed to staffing challenges and conflicting requirements and expectations tied to many appropriations.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Congressional voting is only part of the issue, much of what they decide and appropriate is not executed in a manner they expect by the bureaucrats. Often, it isn't due to the bureaucrats being inept, as opposed to staffing challenges and conflicting requirements and expectations tied to many appropriations.
Bureacrats making regulations make in effect more laws than Congress does, and always in a way that gives themselves more power/etc. Just look at the runaway ATF and its shenanigans which includes killing people...

Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Government is essential. If one doesn't believe so, they might after a round of Anarchy. The trick is securing good Government.....which takes concerted effort and desire. As a Nation of (still relatively) free citizens, we endure the Government we deserve.
Studies reveal that a MAJOR problem in America is ignorance and apathy. All I can say is.....I don't know, and I don't care! doh!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Bureacrats making regulations make in effect more laws than Congress does, and always in a way that gives themselves more power/etc. Just look at the runaway ATF and its shenanigans which includes killing people...
Though I can somewhat agree with you I think that you give bureaucrats too much credit for being an organized monolith. In reality there are many turf battles between organizations, and implementing guidelines developed by bureaucrats often conflict with some sentiments behind regulation.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Though I can somewhat agree with you I think that you give bureaucrats too much credit for being an organized monolith. In reality there are many turf battles between organizations, and implementing guidelines developed by bureaucrats often conflict with some sentiments behind regulation.
I realize all of that but the people still lose, the bureaucrats (regardless of which agency/etc.) win.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I was watching something today that suggested that if the US stopped sending foreign food aid to Africa, within a year or two half a billion people would die. I dont think your avg american could accept that.

I don't think our money will be able to save that many people and we are not helping them by keeping them dependant on our aid. The federal budget is gone, there is no more money for Africa because there is no more money for America. Our government could not survive if we weren't printing dollars to give away. Inflation is a tax we all pay. We can't avoid it. It makes the poor in our country poorer. It eats away at our savings and investments. We are selling out our children's future just like our parents and grandparents sold us out. I don't think your average American could accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies