Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
It's not even close though. One woman said that she can't stand Olberman, O'Reilly and Maddow, I give here credit for her consistency, but she's the rare liberal exception. Look at every single post, not just a few, but every single one that is about conservative and/or Christian people, policies or ideals and the hate from you guys is astounding. There's no respective for differing opinion, no room for lighthearted banter. It's pure hate. Look at the leading far left talking heads; Olberman, Mahrer, Joy Behar, these people are completely joyless, take themselves way too seriously and never, ever are able to laugh at themselves. To be fair, the same applies to Rush and Coulter. O'Reilly and Hannity, as much as many hate them, do laugh at themselves and are self deprecating quite often. The posters that I mentioned in name and several others are identical; constantly hateful and angry, and completely incapable of laughing at themselves. As for conservatives posters who are like that, they may be much smaller in number, but they're equally wrong. Pointing to bad behavior to justify other bad behavior is invalid. Why is there no room for civil disagreement on these boards?
Look, Bill O'rielly is all about, well, Bill O'rielly. Biggest egotistic manic on TV today. Keith Olberman is about, well, Bill O'rielly. While he also has a hugely inflated ego and makes a living off of slamming Bill O and others, he is mostly just annoying. Rush Limbaugh is simply delusional, way too many pills turned that boys brain to mush. Bill Mahre is a comedian who uses political satire, not a newscaster claiming journalistic integrity. At the very most, those people should be viewed as entertainment and lucky that they have an opportunity to take as uniformed opinions as the guy at the water cooler at work and make millions telling people their tale.

Now Ann Coulter is viewed by so many as vile because she too is a shock jock of minimal understanding and integrity, but she goes a step further. Now the statement that she made that shut her up for well over a year, lets examine this shall we.

Quote:
Slash-and-burn columnist Ann Coulter shocked a cable TV talk-show audience Monday when she declared that Jews need to be "perfected" by becoming Christians, and that America would be better off if everyone were Christian.
Ann Coulter could be considered a supremacist, or antisemitic, or just in need of a straight jacket. She is asserting that an entire group of people, based on nothing but their religion, need to be "perfected". Well no one is perfect but she is asserting that Christians are and that Jews need to altered or changed to make them perfect, or in this case, converted. I think the Jews might have something to say about that, but good luck Ann.

This level of viewing oneself as "perfect" or from a perfect group of people denotes that others are lesser and take an inferior position to your own. History is replete with examples of people who think in such a manner. To quantify entire groups of people in the manner she did is repugnant, disgusting, and I am ashamed that woman is my countrymen. Like I said before, I have read some of her material, she just isn't that good of a writer anyway, which makes it all the more the tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,680,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What are you, my mother? When did you condemn the hate from the right? Seriously, I don't recall seeing it.
In the post right above yours and another one, I said that hate from the right is just as bad as hate from the left, however, it's not even close in the amount of hate traffic by liberal posters on this particular board. I don't particularly care for Rush, Olberman, Mahrer, Coulter or Behar; they all take themselves waaaay too seriously, are unable to laugh at themselves and are joyless. However, I try and refrain from calling those with whom I disagree, pigs, hogs, tranny's, morons, and you will never see me wish to call for a picture of one of them dead with bullets in them, like was done by a liberal poster in this very thread in regards to AC. The hate here is disgusting. Again, for the second time: will you condemn the hate from the left that refers to people that differ in opinion form them as pigs, hogs, morons, etc? Will you? Will you promise to look in the mirror, take a step back and acknowledge that you're better then that; that you need not traffic in hate, simply because someone doesn't agree in lockstep with your beliefs? Will you? Or will you continue to justify bad behavior and ask me if I'm your mom?

By the way, yes I am your mother. Now go clean your room.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,680,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Look, Bill O'rielly is all about, well, Bill O'rielly. Biggest egotistic manic on TV today. Keith Olberman is about, well, Bill O'rielly. While he also has a hugely inflated ego and makes a living off of slamming Bill O and others, he is mostly just annoying. Rush Limbaugh is simply delusional, way too many pills turned that boys brain to mush. Bill Mahre is a comedian who uses political satire, not a newscaster claiming journalistic integrity. At the very most, those people should be viewed as entertainment and lucky that they have an opportunity to take as uniformed opinions as the guy at the water cooler at work and make millions telling people their tale.

Now Ann Coulter is viewed by so many as vile because she too is a shock jock of minimal understanding and integrity, but she goes a step further. Now the statement that she made that shut her up for well over a year, lets examine this shall we?

Ann Coulter could be considered a supremacist, or antisemitic, or just in need of a straight jacket. She is asserting that an entire group of people, based on nothing but their religion, need to be "perfected". Well no one is perfect but she is asserting that Christians are and that Jews need to altered or changed to make them perfect, or in this case, converted. I think the Jews might have something to say about that, but good luck Ann.

This level of viewing oneself as "perfect" or from a perfect group of people denotes that others are lesser and take an inferior position to your own. History is replete with examples of people who think in such a manner. To quantify entire groups of people in the manner she did is repugnant, disgusting, and I am ashamed that woman is my countrymen. Like I said before, I have read some of her material, she just isn't that good of a writer anyway, which makes it all the more the tragedy.

You didn't acknowledge anything that I wrote, you just repeated a post that you'd already written, almost verbatim. Why is it acceptable to call someone a pig, hog, tranny, moron, etc? Why is it acceptable to wish that you saw a picture of someone with bullets in them? All because someone has an opinion that is different from your own? Good God people, what have we become? Hate is hate, and the left on this board have perfected it.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,319,301 times
She's a blowhard which is why the left can't stand her along with centrist and some right....The left used to being the only ones yelling and screaming a foul. Don't worry leftist she's only a small part of the right and doesn't impose serious threat to your monopoly of loudness.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,416,824 times
Quote:
It's not even close though. One woman said that she can't stand Olberman, O'Reilly and Maddow, I give here credit for her consistency, but she's the rare liberal exception. Look at every single post, not just a few, but every single one that is about conservative and/or Christian people, policies or ideals and the hate from you guys is astounding. There's no respective for differing opinion, no room for lighthearted banter. It's pure hate. Look at the leading far left talking heads; Olberman, Mahrer, Joy Behar, these people are completely joyless, take themselves way too seriously and never, ever are able to laugh at themselves. To be fair, the same applies to Rush and Coulter. O'Reilly and Hannity, as much as many hate them, do laugh at themselves and are self deprecating quite often. The posters that I mentioned in name and several others are identical; constantly hateful and angry, and completely incapable of laughing at themselves. As for conservatives posters who are like that, they may be much smaller in number, but they're equally wrong. Pointing to bad behavior to justify other bad behavior is invalid. Why is there no room for civil disagreement on these boards?
Because when you start separating people into groups, your point becomes less valid. Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I hate it when people are like, "oh I'm so accepting" and then say, "ew all rural people are SO ignorant." It's like, have you met ALL of them? Really?

But what Ann does and to a lesser extent you just did is say "ALL liberals." What IS a liberal? I voted for Obama but I couldn't stand my high school, which was full of hippies. But Ann would have us in the same category, which is too simplistic. Makes for funny commentary, but it also underlines my point that she really has nothing worthwhile to say.

As you said, all of these commentators should be judged on their merit, not their party affiliation. But you kinda just did that to everyone on this board that dislikes Ann. Some people are gonna be immature and use words like "*****" and "*****" and I'm not defending that, but this IS the woman who call John Edwards a "f a g" so it's more fair game than the sexism Hillary and Sarah Palin put up with.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM

If every time someone said liberal they had to speak out a long drawn out answer people would be sleeping. Are you trying to say she just isn't politically correct enough for you?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
She's a blowhard which is why the left can't stand her along with centrist and some right....The left used to being the only ones yelling and screaming a foul. Don't worry leftist she's only a small part of the right and doesn't impose serious threat to your monopoly of loudness.

Howard Cosell, John Madden and Jimmy the Greek all got canned for straying outside the boundaries of ordinary decency. It isn't about her politics, its about whether talking heads using a medium supposedly owned by the public should have to conform to the same rules of behavior that a busdriver or schoolteacher would.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
Quote:
You didn't acknowledge anything that I wrote, you just repeated a post that you'd already written, almost verbatim. Why is it acceptable to call someone a pig, hog, tranny, moron, etc? Why is it acceptable to wish that you saw a picture of someone with bullets in them? All because someone has an opinion that is different from your own? Good God people, what have we become? Hate is hate, and the left on this board have perfected it.
I don't find it acceptable to wish for a bullet ridden body to be seen in a ditch. As far as those other adjectives used to describe her, they are many of the same words she has used to describe others, namely liberals, so I feel it is fair. If Coulter wishes to be shielded from such harsh statements, she shouldn't fling that kind of garbage unto others. However she is a shock jock and these people thrive and owe their very existence to the rancid and putrefied vitriol that gets thrown at them as much as that which they throw at others. Ann deserves no quarter because she offers none. Again, she is a lousy writer so if it wasn't for all the sensationalist diatribe, she wouldn't exist.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Howard Cosell, John Madden and Jimmy the Greek all got canned for straying outside the boundaries of ordinary decency. It isn't about her politics, its about whether talking heads using a medium supposedly owned by the public should have to conform to the same rules of behavior that a busdriver or schoolteacher would.
Then Fox would be the leader the first to even try and claim fair and balanced in my short lived history. Not one other show has "another side". Not one. And MSNBC is running the show as far as bias. I mean do people seriously watch 24 hours of pessimism?

Last edited by BigJon3475; 01-06-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,203,020 times
Quote:
So far in this thread, I've seen liberal posters refer to AC as a pig, hog, moron, trans-sexual and one even went so far as to wish that he saw a picture of her dead with bullets in her. Good God people, what have you become? Take a step back and look in the mirror, please. A person has an opinion that differs from your own and chooses to voice it in an loud obnoxious way. The vitriol and malice that is hurled towards this person is disgusting.

Liberal Tolerance= America's greatest oxymoron.
Look, we both know that obsessive hatred is perfectly acceptable - provided it is coming from Liberals.

Just look at the way they've slandered GWB in every way shape and form imaginable, since before he was in office. Then these same people turn around and start crying their eyes out about people picking on Obama.

Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies