Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,938,314 times

Advertisements

I promise you it's short.

Words of wisdom and warning from a truer Republican than folks like Bush or McCain could've ever hoped to be.

YouTube - Eisenhower on the Military Industrial Complex

But, I suppose feeble attempts for neo-con-munist apologists to retore would be "it's a post-9/11 world" or "times change".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,823,620 times
It was a very prophetic statement from Eisenhower. He was a great President.

Something along the same lines from another great President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSGw...eature=related

Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,354,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Words of wisdom and warning from a truer Republican than folks like Bush or McCain could've ever hoped to be.

But, I suppose feeble attempts for neo-con-munist apologists to retore would be "it's a post-9/11 world" or "times change".
That coming from the guy who stopped our most advanced attempt to beat the Russians into space....and in fact succeeded and sputnik was one of his greatest achievements.... hats off....

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,384,290 times
Something that concerned Ike was that while he had the knowledge/experience to know where to cut the military spending, and where not to, others may not.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It was a very prophetic statement from Eisenhower. He was a great President.

Something along the same lines from another great President.

YouTube - The speech that got John F. Kennedy Killed
If he hadn't secretly agreed to appease the Russians with the bay of pigs, the Berlin wall and nuclear missiles....The cold war could have had a huge turn around and not lasted anywhere near as long as it did. In secret he agreed to allow Khrushchev removing american missiles from turkey allowing 30,000 soviet military advisers to remain in cuba to train Casto'os army. Kennedy gave his word to never try to over throw the Castro dictatorship.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,938,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If he hadn't secretly agreed to appease the Russians with the bay of pigs, the Berlin wall and nuclear missiles....The cold war could have had a huge turn around and not lasted anywhere near as long as it did. In secret he agreed to allow Khrushchev removing american missiles from turkey allowing 30,000 soviet military advisers to remain in cuba to train Casto'os army. Kennedy gave his word to never try to over throw the Castro dictatorship.
The missle removal was an even trade. Remember we had missiles pointed close the Soviet Union first. Game theory would suggest the Soviets would retaliate by planting them in Cuba.

I have every reason to hate Ike for leaving folks like my father to potentially die as the Soviet Union rolled thousands of tanks into Budapest to squash the revolution. This "proud" pansy US foreign policy is continued by folks like Bush who will use Israel as a proxy for their war on Iran and playing world cop, pandering to evangelicals and AIPAC all the way to the bank.

We're going bankrupt, and you will see how quickly the world cop scenario reverses on itself. Potentially quicker than the Soviet Union. Possibly overnight.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,384,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
We were planning to remove those missiles anyways, they were old/outdated by that point...but the Russians didn't know that.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,364,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Most underrated President in our history.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 PM

708 posts, read 929,340 times
Smile Ike's Words Of Wisdom

I would certainly agree with the many positive posts regarding Pres. Eisenhower's comments on the military-industrial complex.

As most of us recognize, his warnings weren't heeded very well. One of the difficult (if not impossible) tasks the new Adm.will have is to once again gain proper perspective of the matters at hand--and the proper distribution of power and influence.

We MUST have the dog wagging the tail--not vice versa.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Peace through strength.

The Chinese Military Power Page - The Commonwealth Institute (http://www.comw.org/cmp/ - broken link)

Your freedom is only one generation away from being lost. It just takes one complacent generation that's it. Humanity isn't out of the totalitarian box yet..

When despair happens across the world through famine and such you can only expect one thing to follow...aggression. Nothing about being complacent says you are a leader or should be a leader.

Hey but what do I know I'm a neocon so take it for what it's worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies