Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,539,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't forget what happens when military recruiters, the Minutemen, or a conservative speaker appears at universities. Instead of allowing them their say, the faculty and students will either shout them down so no one can hear them speak, storm the stage and attack the speakers on stage, or destroy the presentation the speaker has set up and threaten bodily harm to the speaker until the speaker is forced to leave by campus police. Fine examples of free exchange of ideas that goes on in liberal universities like Columbia, Berkeley, and UC Santa Cruz among others.
Why do these people come to Liberal colleges then? LOL!

It is like making someone who loves heavy metal go to a country concert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,949,801 times
Quote:
Don't forget what happens when military recruiters, the Minutemen, or a conservative speaker appears at universities. Instead of allowing them their say, the faculty and students will either shout them down so no one can hear them speak, storm the stage and attack the speakers on stage, or destroy the presentation the speaker has set up and threaten bodily harm to the speaker until the speaker is forced to leave by campus police. Fine examples of free exchange of ideas that goes on in liberal universities like Columbia, Berkeley, and UC Santa Cruz among others.
That's because many liberals cannot handle dissenting points of views and only support freedom of speech when liberal ideas are spoken.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I was giving examples of how open minded the liberals really are. If they don't agree with you they try to shout you down or shut you out. Heaven forbid they actually be open minded enough to listen to ideas and opinions they disagree with.
And Conservatives sit down and listen to EVERYTHING anyone else has to say.

They don't shut anyone else out (like the gays) and they totally respect everyone else too!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Just because a college/university is liberal does not mean that everyone subscribe to liberalism. I feel it is in poor taste and disrespectful to shout down and disrupt a presentation just because you don't agree with the viewpoint being presented.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,394,602 times
Quote:

The military recruiters and conservative speakers' were not mandatory for all students. Attendence to these engagements were voluntary. Rather than just not show up or to sit quietly and ask pointed questions afterwards they choose to shut them down and kick them out.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
That's because many liberals cannot handle dissenting points of views and only support freedom of speech when liberal ideas are spoken.
And Conservatives are sooo totally accepting!! They NEVER try to shut out other peoples voice! They so totally accept everyone!

Why are these people here at Liberals Universities then if they know Conservatives are not popular?

Once again, Heavy metal music fan being forced to watch a country concert!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Just because a college/university is liberal does not mean that everyone subscribe to liberalism. I feel it is in poor taste and disrespectful to shout down and disrupt a presentation just because you don't agree with the viewpoint being presented.
Remember. You cannot generalize all people. Like you and I even talked about.

Not ALL liberals do this. I have never booed anyone of stage. I have never shouted out someone who said the opposite of me and I have been to presentations.

People of BOTH parties are guilty of this. Not just Liberals.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,511,746 times
I think this "censorship" thing is overblown. I can cite NUMEROUS cases of ******************************* and the time the FBI wanted to detain him for ***************************************** in the Middle East. In MY opinion, the fault lies squarely with ****************and his***************scheduled to appear before the Senate********if***********and furthermore***************several times, and all the time his fellow Congressmen KNEW it, and did ************************the situation.

I can furnish all the proof anyone wants...just contact me privately at www.************** org. You won't BELIEVE what I've found out..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
And Conservatives are sooo totally accepting!! They NEVER try to shut out other peoples voice! They so totally accept everyone!

Why are these people here at Liberals Universities then if they know Conservatives are not popular?

Once again, Heavy metal music fan being forced to watch a country concert!
If you are referring to why a conservative chooses to study at a liberal school? Maybe they are limited in their educational options.
Why conservative speakers would speak at a liberal school? Because there are conservatives who want to hear the message and open-minded liberals who are willing to listen to dissenting points of view (rare but they exist).
Even if conservative ideas are not popular at a liberal school, it is immature and disrespectful to shout down speakers simply because you don't agree with the message. If you do not wish to hear what the speaker says, then don't listen.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,495,752 times
Quote:

Actually I like both heavy metal and country music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies