Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
And what else would you need a gun for on a college campus?

Self defense and 2nd Amendment rights, or do you not recognize Constitutional protections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Self defense and 2nd Amendment rights, or do you not recognize Constitutional protections?
What do you need to protect yourself from on a college campus? There are security guards with guns. Is that not enough? You need your own gun so you can shoot anyone who looks at you in a threatening way?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
People 18-20 years old are adults. I know the Brady Campaign stats include everyone under 21 as "children" but that's not reality.

actually, the brady campaign includes everyone up to age 25. I dont think that anyone ages 18-25 should be included in any children statistics.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
You'll notice that I acknowledge that my justification was the exception, not the rule. I said, on the off chance that some drunk person shot some people out of anger, guns shouldn't be allowed on college campuses. As far as I can tell, you're using a similar argument except you're saying that on the off chance a shooter turns up on campus the students should be allowed to own guns. Clearly neither of our arguments, using the exception to justify our positions, is practical. Maybe a better tactic would be to allow students on each college campus, separately, to vote on whether or not to allow guns. This, of course, could only occur at public colleges as private colleges are allowed to make their own rules. Do you think that would be a fair compromise?
To allow any restriction on a civil right there must be a very compelling argument for it. The SCOTUS touched on that briefly with the Heller Case. There is none for the argument against allowing carrying of firearms in colleges. It's possible some drunk on the street will shoot someone, but that does not allow the state to completely take away the right to carry a gun in public, except from the person who acted criminally.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
What do you need to protect yourself from on a college campus? There are security guards with guns. Is that not enough? You need your own gun so you can shoot anyone who looks at you in a threatening way?

When I got out of the Army in 1991 I went to CMSU in Missouri. There was exactly 4 campus police. not a whole lot for 10,000 students.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
No one can predict what may happen to them. The police have no duty to protect you, the SCOTUS has repeatedly said it's an individual responsibility (IOW, it's your responsibility to protect yourself against criminals). And I don't know where you are, but when I was at college security guards were all unarmed.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
When I got out of the Army in 1991 I went to CMSU in Missouri. There was exactly 4 campus police. not a whole lot for 10,000 students.
Wow, that's pretty bad. My campus has at least ten for approximately 5,000 students and only about 2,500 live on campus. But it's a pretty compact campus, so they're not spread out that badly.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
But are people who show a lack of maturity and responsibility allowed to carry weapons and be responsible for million dollar tanks among other things? And a war zone is certainly different than a college campus, just so you know.
I knew quite a few incompetent people in the military, both soldiers and officers and they were allowed to use firearms just fine in the military.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Wow, you were telling me that liberals were responsible for the deaths of the students and now you're upset that I disagree.

liberals for the most part are responsible for the deaths of those killed, along with the person that murdered them. if not for liberals and alot of republicans, people could carry firearms where ever they wanted to and not have to worry about some thug trying to kill them or someone else.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
No, I said that SOME younger people can't be trusted to carry a gun. If those young people happen to be in the military then I expect the military to prevent them from shooting or carrying guns. They can do first aid or something.

by that analogy, I think that most young people under the age of 25 and not in the military are too inept and cant be trusted to vote. but tell that to a liberal and you will see them scream that 60% of their voter base would disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies