Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The hot water heater and furnace in a home should be located in a utility room separate from the garage. The one in our house is not in the attached garage.
No, you're wrong. Furnaces and hot water heaters have flues which vent them to the outdoors, and draw no air into the home. Plenty of homes have them in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,371,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No, you're wrong. Furnaces and hot water heaters have flues which vent them to the outdoors, and draw no air into the home. Plenty of homes have them in the garage.
Yea, we just bought a house and one hot water tank is in the garage. Inspector and architect said that is norm. Also, house we live in now has it in the garage.

Maybe it depends on which state as to the regs?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Yea, we just bought a house and one hot water tank is in the garage. Inspector and architect said that is norm. Also, house we live in now has it in the garage.

Maybe it depends on which state as to the regs?
It would seem to me that such a thing would be dangerous. People often work on cars and leave cans of gasoline for mowers and such in the garage and it would seem to me that the fumes would possible ignite from a hot water heater in the garage. Neither of mine are there. My circuit breaker panel is in the garage however.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Gas appliances can be located in a garage or in a utility closet. Gas appliances require that the area have two vents of a specified size. One is generally high and one low though I don't know if that is code or custom.

In a utility closet the vents are generally in the door.

Gas appliances draw their combustion air from the garage and vent the products of combustion outside the garage through metal vents.

I suspect you would not have a need for venting if no gas appliances. However there still should be no route for car exhaust to get into the house.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Gas appliances can be located in a garage or in a utility closet. Gas appliances require that the area have two vents of a specified size. One is generally high and one low though I don't know if that is code or custom.

In a utility closet the vents are generally in the door.

Gas appliances draw their combustion air from the garage and vent the products of combustion outside the garage through metal vents.

I suspect you would not have a need for venting if no gas appliances. However there still should be no route for car exhaust to get into the house.
Ours are in a utility closet that has a double folding door to it with slats in the whole door. There is also a place in there to put mops and brooms and such but there is a sign in there- was there when we bought the place- that says not to store items or combustibles there. Maybe the builder put the sign there or maybe the former owners did. Also the garage has a sprinkler system in it (not the rest of the house) and the kitchen has a fire extinguisher on the wall. Don't know if these are required or not- they were here when we bought it. But I do know that I have not seen any house here with a hot water tank or AC unit in the garage. Then again I have not looked at that many.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
I think she should be charged with this. It was she that left the van running. seems like negligent homicide to me.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM

358 posts, read 472,107 times
I have bothe a water heater and the air handler, gas heater and evaporation coil for the AC in the garage all integrated in an up draft system. The return air vents are in the floor and travel through concrete culvert ducking under the slab. This duck network all feeds back to the airhandler in the garage. Next to this unit is the water heater. The water heater is out of code insofar as it is not raised 12 inches from the floor. The house was built in 1962.

We have never left the cars running in the garage not that we have made a point not to do that, and I never thought about the reprecutions but because that is something ya just don't so. I see how dangerous it could be though if you were careless enough to do so.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
I have bothe a water heater and the air handler, gas heater and evaporation coil for the AC in the garage all integrated in an up draft system. The return air vents are in the floor and travel through concrete culvert ducking under the slab. This duck network all feeds back to the airhandler in the garage. Next to this unit is the water heater. The water heater is out of code insofar as it is not raised 12 inches from the floor. The house was built in 1962.

We have never left the cars running in the garage not that we have made a point not to do that, and I never thought about the reprecutions but because that is something ya just don't so. I see how dangerous it could be though if you were careless enough to do so.
A reasonably standard installation. There should however be no air flowing from the garage into the house. That should be well isolated from the garage air. The heated and cooled air should be coming from the house and going to it without any mixing with garage air.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Well and maybe she just left the keys in the car so a car thief would have an easy day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies