Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
You probably feel the same about what happened here:

Richard Raddon, the director of the Los Angeles Film Festival who has been at the center of controversy ever since it was revealed almost two weeks ago that he had contributed $1,500 to the campaign to ban gay marriage in California, resigned from his post over the weekend.........
This is another example of someone who voluntarily resigned from his job.

If he was being seriously harassed, he should have filed a report with the police. I've been harassed before, and I know it's not fun, but sometimes you have to deal with things in life that aren't easy or pleasant. Being gay, maybe I'm used to that. I guess you're not. Consider yourself lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
There is no inherent sexual orientation, that too is a myth.
I'm sure you know a lot about myths.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,474 times
Quote:
Not so fast---- there are many studies now that show that alcoholism may be genetic, and not a choice.

Also rehab is not always successful. I know someone that spent $40,000 on rehab and fell off the wagon when she got home.

There is a saying, once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.
In a sense, I get that. I have many alcoholics in my family so I have made a conscious decision not to drink. It's my choice whether or not I become an alcoholic. Because I know my family history, I know to avoid alcohol. The comparison between alcoholism and homosexuality isn't that great.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Not so fast---- there are many studies now that show that alcoholism may be genetic, and not a choice.
I love it. You're willing to speculate that there's a gene for alcoholism, but not one for sexual orientation.

While I don't doubt that there may be a gene for alcoholism, I see a huge disconnect in your statements.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
You can not be serious.

So its hypocritical - an action we should not engage in - to have friends & co-workers with whom you disagree on over a political issue?

You should'nt have "consequences" from participating in a politicial campaign. That's called Political Persecution and is - or was until November of this year apparently - not something Americans stand for.

McCarthy would be proud of you.
Ew, don't get bitchy. He made his bed, now he can lie in it. All of the gay men and women whose rights he took away do not have to be in the shows that he produces. That may be why he stepped down. You're acting as if there's some malicious intent and gay people should be forced to support businesses who would deny them rights. In what way? Why should they be forced to support people who oppress them?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So now you are drawing an analogy between voting about the lives of loving committed same-sex couples who want to make a life together ...to voting about heavy drinkers who want to drink?

Good grief. Are you TRYING to be insulting or does it just come naturally?

If this is the type of thing you said to any gay people you met, then I'm not surprised they weren't particularly friendly to you.

No this was not the type of thing I said at all, like I said earlier I was much more accepting of homosexuality, so naturally back then I was mostly gay friendly in what I said.

As for the alcohol analogy, well there are some eople who love the bottle more than anything else, and for them to withhold alcohol is like trying to surpress their freedom.

Yeah I know it sounds like an apples and oranges comparison, but I have heard many similar lines of thought from your side of the spectrum supporting their cause.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
And, for the record, Christians were the core of the Abolition movement. "My eyes have seen the glory...." and all that.
SOME Christians were for Abolition of Slavery, while OTHER Christians were twisting the Bible to prove that blacks weren't really human, or that because there was slavery in the Bible, that slavery was sanctioned by God. Kinda like they do now with homosexuality.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
In a sense, I get that. I have many alcoholics in my family so I have made a conscious decision not to drink. It's my choice whether or not I become an alcoholic. Because I know my family history, I know to avoid alcohol. The comparison between alcoholism and homosexuality isn't that great.
While I don't have any homosexuals in my family, I too have made the decision not to partake of anything gay. It is my choice whether or not I become a homosexual. I stopped the process before it was complete.

I now know to avoid homosexuality.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
While I don't have any homosexuals in my family, I too have made the decision not to partake of anything gay. It is my choice whether or not I become a homosexual. I stopped the process before it was complete.

Wow, you're either extremely obtuse or think you're hilarious. The comparison is, like you said, apples and oranges. I saw where you were going with it but it isn't relevant. Aside from the fact that you were being a smartass in your comment above, overall I think you are being deliberately obtuse. You continue to skirt around the fact that homosexuality is biologically determined by claiming that there is no inherent sexuality in anyone. Apparently you've never met any sixteen year old boys.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:

Wow. This is the first time you've been this honest with us, isn't it?

I think you're being sincere. I won't harass or tease you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies