Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

It was a voter initiative that led to public disclosure of campaign donations in California. The initiative was passed by a majority of the voters. Now Prop. 8 supporters want to overturn that law.

Can't they respect democracy? I mean - "the people have spoken".

It appears that they only respect the laws when the laws work in their favor. I guess they're hoping that an "activist judge" will decide to change the law in their favor. Hypocrites.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gay marriage foes want campaign contributions anonymous, citing 'harassment'

5:42 PM, January 8, 2009

Proponents of a ballot measure that banned same sex marriage filed a lawsuit in federal court this week seeking to overturn state campaign finance laws that require that names and personal information of donors to state political campaigns be made public.

They claimed that donors to Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in California after one of the most heated campaigns in recent memory, have been the victim of threats and harassment because of their support for ending same-sex marriage was made public.

Gay marriage foes want campaign contributions anonymous, citing 'harassment' | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Harassment?

LOL-are they afraid of that little measly 10 percent that is gay?

Seriously, why are people so hypocritical?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

If they didn't want to comply with California reporting laws, they shouldn't have put Prop. 8 on the ballot in the first place.

It's despicable. They won their battle, and now they want to hide their faces.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I think some Republicans who voted for Prop 8 were unprepared & shocked about the overall outrage & embarrassed that their contributions are public information. Keep in mind that for anything to pass in California means that Democrats also have to vote for it. I doubt that many Democrats actually contributed to Prop 8 but the public reaction among their own party members made some Democrats embarrassed that they voted for bigotry also.

It turned out to be a good lesson for the state that a group of Mormon/ Baptists & Catholics flooded the airwaves with commercials that school kids would have to go to gay weddings [as lame as that was it did scare enough Democrats to pass Prop 8].

Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
I haven't heard of anybody actively searching for and harassing these people. But yes, I prefer to know the names. For instance, my dermatologist back home donated to Yes on 8. One of my mom's friends, who is a Mormon and has a son that I'm convinced is gay donated to Yes on 8, it's hard to look at her the same considering that she's active in the theater and ballet community. To me, that's hypocrisy considering how many gay men and women she considers "friends." I like to know things like that. I don't want to help my dermatologist make her mortgage payments if I don't agree with her stances. I'd rather find someone who didn't donate to that proposition at all or someone who voted No on 8. And you know, the people who supported Yes on 8 have the same right. If any of them get a DUI or some other criminal charge, they can feel free to pass on my dad's law firm since he donated to No on 8. It goes both ways. They can boycott any place of business who donated to No on 8 and we can boycott any place of business who donated to Yes on 8.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Some of the Prop. 8 supporters who own businesses are upset that they've lost some customers because of their contributions. Oh, boo hoo!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
For instance, my dermatologist back home donated to Yes on 8. One of my mom's friends, who is a Mormon and has a son that I'm convinced is gay donated to Yes on 8, it's hard to look at her the same considering that she's active in the theater and ballet community. To me, that's hypocrisy considering how many gay men and women she considers "friends."
Yeah, I would have trouble with that too.

I would forgive someone who voted for Prop. 8, however if they told me that they changed their mind about it. Even better - if they really did change their mind, I'd like to see them send a small contribution to the campaign to repeal it.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of the Prop. 8 supporters who own businesses are upset that they've lost some customers because of their contributions. Oh, boo hoo!
Hey, to them I'll say, feel free to boycott the businesses belonging to people who donated to No on 8. It's my right to avoid the Yes on 8 businesses and vice versa. That's the risk you take when you donate to politics. We all take these risks when donating to Presidential campaigns, statewide ballot propositions, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Prop 8 supporters apparently sent letters to dozens of companies who donated to the No-on-Prop8 campaign before the election, saying that if they didn't donate the same amount to protectmarriage.com they would "out" their company.

Double standards anyone?

Quote:
"Make a donation of a like amount to ProtectMarriage.com which will help us correct this error," reads the letter. "Were you to elect not to donate comparably, it would be a clear indication that you are in opposition to traditional marriage. ... The names of any companies and organizations that choose not to donate in like manner to ProtectMarriage.com but have given to Equality California will be published."
New Proposition 8 strategy: Donate, or else : Opinion L.A. : Los Angeles Times

Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Prop 8 supporters apparently sent letters to dozens of companies who donated to the No-on-Prop8 campaign before the election, saying that if they didn't donate the same amount to protectmarriage.com they would "out" their company.

Double standards anyone?

New Proposition 8 strategy: Donate, or else : Opinion L.A. : Los Angeles Times
Haha, I know, that was utterly disgusting. It's because of such tactics that I'm now avoiding the Yes on 8 businesses and frequenting the No on 8 businesses when possible. I didn't really like my dermatologist anyway, she wasn't very polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies