Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From Tristan's Mommy:

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that juice be limited for the same reasons as soda should be limited. Do a search using the words "juice" + "limit" on this website:

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS WEB SITE

We were talking about two different issues in your second point, where you thought what I said was a "hoot". I was talking about childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes in children being related to specific ethnic groups and economic groups. You can do a google search.

Re: Weight Watchers: It is a commercial business. It doesn't work. I know of a number of people , including me, who have gone to WW many times. I have seen many incarnations of their program, and some of their advice is not consistent with good nutrition.

Limit yes.. anything should be in moderation.. but you wouldn't eliminate fruit juice from a diet completely.

If I give my son fruit juice I usually give half water half juice.. so as to limit his intake.. but I'd never stop giving him fruit juice. Again..there's nutritional value.

As far as weight watches.. first. I don't go to any meetings. I simply go online so that I can keep track of my points that I eat. They recommend the same amount of fruits , veggies and dairy that is recommended by .. I forget the name of the national institution.. it escapes me at the moment.. and it allows you to check off when you've had those things. It doesn't dicated WHAT to eat. .that is up to you, so you can use your points for whatever you choose to put in your mouth.. Some days I don't eat enough fruit or veggies.. because I go for something else.. or perhaps I put a little butter on my roll as opposed to skipping it. It's not the be all end all.. but if done right it works. Its far better than those pre-packaged meals you get from say Jenny because you don't learn how to portion yourself or learn anything about food since it's already done for you.

That being said.. it's obvious that if I elect to eat a fatt food it's going to take up a huge portion of my allowed "points" for the day for obvious reasons. It's all really common sense and a good guidline. IT also keeps you accountable to log what you eat so that you don't overeat or indulge.

I find weight watchers very consistent with nutrition guidlines if you eat what you are supposed to (servings of veggies/fruit, dairy..etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
My Dietitian does not recommend Weight Watchers for Diabetics.

We do a modified sort of Atkins

Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My Dietitian does not recommend Weight Watchers for Diabetics.

We do a modified sort of Atkins

a modified ATKINS!!!

Oh my.. if I did ATkins I'd be dead..seriously.

Although we do have two very different types of diabetes.

Atkins would put me into ketoacidosis!!!! eek!!

I never said my nutritionist recommends weight watchers.

As for me I have to carb count no matter what I do.. which means I give myself abolus (pump wearer) of insulin based on how many grams of carbs are in the meal.

My endo doesn't recommend Atkins.. atleast not for Type I diabetics..

btw.. as a pump wearer Im' not realy restricted. If I eat a higher fat food I have to square wave or dual wave bolus because the fat slows the absorption of the carbs in the body. as a pump wearer I have freedom to eat things that were once "taboo" because I bolus based on carb content. .. just some FYI

Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Limit yes.. anything should be in moderation.. but you wouldn't eliminate fruit juice from a diet completely.

If I give my son fruit juice I usually give half water half juice.. so as to limit his intake.. but I'd never stop giving him fruit juice. Again..there's nutritional value.

As far as weight watches.. first. I don't go to any meetings. I simply go online so that I can keep track of my points that I eat. They recommend the same amount of fruits , veggies and dairy that is recommended by .. I forget the name of the national institution.. it escapes me at the moment.. and it allows you to check off when you've had those things. It doesn't dicated WHAT to eat. .that is up to you, so you can use your points for whatever you choose to put in your mouth.. Some days I don't eat enough fruit or veggies.. because I go for something else.. or perhaps I put a little butter on my roll as opposed to skipping it. It's not the be all end all.. but if done right it works. Its far better than those pre-packaged meals you get from say Jenny because you don't learn how to portion yourself or learn anything about food since it's already done for you.

That being said.. it's obvious that if I elect to eat a fatt food it's going to take up a huge portion of my allowed "points" for the day for obvious reasons. It's all really common sense and a good guidline. IT also keeps you accountable to log what you eat so that you don't overeat or indulge.

I find weight watchers very consistent with nutrition guidlines if you eat what you are supposed to (servings of veggies/fruit, dairy..etc.)
You could totally eliminate fruit juice and have a balanced diet. You simply substitute fruit, which has the added advantage of fiber. Most fruit juice does not offer much more than calories. Check your labels.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You could totally eliminate fruit juice and have a balanced diet. You simply substitute fruit, which has the added advantage of fiber. Most fruit juice does not offer much more than calories. Check your labels.

I never said you couldn't.. of course you could.. fruit is always better than fruit juice

Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It is about time I am sick and tired of Jabba the huts taking over my planet.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM

558 posts, read 818,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is about time I am sick and tired of Jabba the huts taking over my planet.
Conformance mandatory! All deviant behavior will be taxed!

I'm waiting for the entrepreneurial types create a black market for sugar in NY.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Good grief....all this arguing over NY trying to raise some extra money by adding a tax to an non-essential product....one it knows will be bought, therefore will bring in more money.
Do you really think a successful attempt at 'social engineering' ....people no longer buying the drinks...would raise any money?
The two actions are contradictary.
NYS wants the dough more than it is concerned with healthier citizens.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd like to see a bad music tax. Maybe 50 cents per rap or country or pop CD.
Also the same goes for videos, people need to stop being vidiots and stop vegetating in front of the TV. That crap is every bit as bad for your mind as junk food is to your body.
And the best and most important: The cell phone tax. Find a way to tax you if you use it more than 30 minutes per day.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
One way the State of New York can raise revenue in the hundreds of millions of dollars is stop all tax payer funds to people who are not in the United States legally. That includes all social programs period, no excuses, except a one way ticket home. I'm sure some folks will look at this post and cry foul but it would work not only in NY but many other States including California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies