U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,268,194 times

Advertisements

Dont know if you have all heard, but NY State is proposing a tax on all drinks that contain a hight content of sugar including fruit drinks with less than 70% real juice.

I think its a FABULOUS idea.. sure it was born out of the state's need to raise some dough.. but so what.. it also arises out of the need to battle how OBESE American's are becoming.

I say .. why stop there.. ALL foods that are "junk foods" should be taxed.

It solves several problems.

First.. it might curb people from spending so much thereby consuming so many fatty foods.

Second.. It helps raise revenue for tax strapped states so that they don't have to go and increase property taxes, tax on gas.. etc.

Third... it will help head American in the direction we need to go healthwise.. for I do believe that if .. I'll change that to when.. we have some sort of nationalized health system or something close to it.. the tax on the bad for you foods should eventually go toward healthcare programs.

I think that raising the tax on cigs was an excellent idea. I don't have ths stats.. but I wonder if it curbed how many people actually smoked.. if it didn't... then atleast it raised more money in one area and thereby didn't have to tax u on thing we actually really need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

8,640 posts, read 8,545,439 times
so whats next? gene manipulation or mandatory sterilization because you think someones to ugly. Who the heck are you to decide "the direction we need to go"

Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,980,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
so whats next? gene manipulation or mandatory sterilization because you think someones to ugly. Who the heck are you to decide "the direction we need to go"
Well, if we had UHC then those should be taxed because unhealthy behaviors are a burden on the system.

Edit: On a private system you're probably footing the bill for other's unhealthy behaviors anyway tho.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM

537 posts, read 565,286 times
Hey I had to quit smoking bechase of taxes. I think a nickle a donut would be fair?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

Wow.. thanks for thinking I had soooo much power that I can personally decide the direction we should go.. a you say..

For crying out loud.. I'm stating an opinion..

It's not a tax on PEOPLE who are FAT!!! and it' not prejudice AGAINST people who are FAT!!!

It's a tax on FOODS that CAUSE obesity Geez..

And before anyone thinks I'm some skinny minny.. I'm not (used to be before kids) and am working my tail off to get the 20 lbs off that I need to be at the weight I should be at!!!

It's a little incentive for people to make healthier choices.. is all!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Well, if we had UHC then those should be taxed because unhealthy behaviors are a burden on the system.

Edit: On a private system you're probably footing the bill for other's unhealthy behaviors anyway tho.

True true.. so very true!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,642,810 times
As a society, we ALWAYS have to have some group to pick on. We have so few groups left to pick on. Right now it's PC to go up to a stranger who is smoking and make a comment to their face.

So is the next group the fat people? Start it with the tax (like it started with other "sin taxes") then watch the parade grow. Think I am over exaggerating? Maybe I am, maybe not. Same arguements that were used for smoking. Let's watch what happens over the next years.

Just think, maybe the next group will be yours.

PS. I am not overweight.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM

384 posts, read 867,631 times
I can't wait till when we all have to wear a government mandated helmet to walk down stairs.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
As a society, we ALWAYS have to have some group to pick on. We have so few groups left to pick on. Right now it's PC to go up to a stranger who is smoking and make a comment to their face.

So is the next group the fat people? Start it with the tax (like it started with other "sin taxes") then watch the parade grow. Think I am over exaggerating? Maybe I am, maybe not. Same arguements that were used for smoking. Let's watch what happens over the next years.

Just think, maybe the next group will be yours.

PS. I am not overweight.

The tax does not pick on FAT people

Do skinny people not eat junk food

I know when I was skinny (and didn't have to worry about my weight) I would eat junk food

And.. .unless you are an absolute NUT about what you put in your mouth.. just about everyone at one point or another purchases a junk food (we should all have cheat days!!! Keeps you on the straight and narrow the rest of the week).

heck.. even while im' trying to lose some weight I still induldge now and then in moderation!!!

We tax NON FOOD items because they are things we don't need neccesarily.. well we don't NEED fatening potato chips or soda's loaded with sugar.. so why not tax them

a great way to raise revenue.. or would you prefer a property tax hike, or fair hikes on bridges, roads and tunnels? Or would you prefer your state income taxes (or national for that matter) be raised? I certainly wouldn't..

BUt..if I'm going to indulge and drink a 12 pack of coke then I won't mind paying that tax (btw.. I can't drink coke anyway.. Juvenile diabetic).. or if I want to have some potato chips I certainly wouldn't mind paying the extra tax there .. etc..

It makes a lot of sense.. it's not like we're all saying.. hey.. you are fat so now you have to pay extra taxes.. of course not..

I guess what is setting of that line of thinking i the use of the term "fat tax"... they should call it a "junk food tax".. that might make people feel a litte better.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
I can't wait till when we all have to wear a government mandated helmet to walk down stairs.

um.. this isn't about mandates.. the gov't isn't mandating WHAT you eat.. it doesnt tell you you can't SMOKE does it? NOOOO.. it just taxes you for the cigs you buy.. and so in this case it would tax you for the junk food you eat..

want to keep putting on the pounds and being unhealthy.. you have that right.. go right ahead.. no one is stopping you or telling you you can't..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or