Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM

492 posts, read 961,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe he is referring to a "giving back"type of thing.. on some sort of community level etc..

One hand washes the other type of thing.
I'd prefer a government give back the taxes it's ripped from my lively hood type of thing.

And that one hand washing the other... just tooooo much government in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I read something that Obama wants to start a Mandatory Military Service. Other countries have this and I was wondering ..

1. What benefits do the young people receive in the places where it is mandatory,

2. What's it like for them do they get to go to school, is it a full-time thing or like the reserves, etc.

3. And how is mandatory service perceived in those places? Do the citizens think it is a bad or good thing?

4. Also what do you guys think about it's implementation here?

If one of the benefits was student loan forgiveness sign me up!

France and Greece have this. Britain too I think. I don't believe they have anything comparable to our GI Bill. I was a conscript during the Viet Nam war. Asd far as they were able to tell there wasn't a difference in performance between "RA" and "US". Enlisted is not the same as career, keep in mind. Forgiving student loans would be a lot bigger budget bite than the month-to-month GI Bill payments I got.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
John Kennedy was right: A nation is defined not by what it does for its citizens but by what it asks of them. If your leaders aren't challenging you to do your part, they aren't doing theirs. We need a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us by establishing for the first time an ethic of universal citizen service. All Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 should be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic civil defense training and community service. This is not a draft, nor is it military. Young people will be trained not as soldiers, but simply as citizens who understand their responsibilities in the event of a natural disaster, an epidemic or a terrorist attack. Universal citizen service will bring Americans of every background together to make America safer and more united in common purpose.

From Rahm's book.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
John Kennedy was right: A nation is defined not by what it does for its citizens but by what it asks of them. If your leaders aren't challenging you to do your part, they aren't doing theirs. We need a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us by establishing for the first time an ethic of universal citizen service. All Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 should be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic civil defense training and community service. This is not a draft, nor is it military. Young people will be trained not as soldiers, but simply as citizens who understand their responsibilities in the event of a natural disaster, an epidemic or a terrorist attack. Universal citizen service will bring Americans of every background together to make America safer and more united in common purpose.

From Rahm's book.
What a terrible idea.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What a terrible idea.

I'm inpatient....the 1 hour video was a little too long..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What a terrible idea.
Why do you feel it's a terrible idea?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM

It's not. Especially since I'm over 25

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's not. Especially since I'm over 25
Oh! Okay. And, haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why do you feel it's a terrible idea?
I dont, I think it's great - I automatically assumed that Big Jon didnt like it for all the usual reasons. Not enough charts, e.g.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is why they only take people with a high school diploma now. .
They are taking recruits who do not have a diploma

Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Actaully the idea of reinstating the draft is a liberal democratic one as so often pushed by Charlie Rangel. A civilian defense force actually sounds scary to me.Sounds like some qausi milatry force that operates within this country as the military can not now do.I don't see anyone that has the leadership abilty that the military has created over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies