Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 PM

264 posts, read 694,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Evangelicals, prominent in the south, believed him when he said he is a Christian and prays for guidance.
I wish they knew how cynical he really is about religion and about evangelical Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The Dixiecrats did exist and were a long time ago - 1948. I would imagine that Clinton, Edwards, Carter and Gore would tell you that democrats in the south have not followed that philosophy in a long time.

The south tends to be more traditional, and there are traditional people all over the country. What constitutes progress is up for debate. God is against improvements.....I hadn't heard that, when did you talk to God?

How open-minded of you... Is it only southerners that do this or does the rest of the 80% of the country that identifies themselves as Christian do that as well?
Dixiecrats like George Wallace of Alabama and Orval Faubus of Arkansas. Although they both come from the South, Clinton and Carter don't seem southern (in mentality) to me.

The South upholds "traditions", whatever they are. Also, the "family values", etc. Probably god, guns, and guts. I don't talk to god, I'm an atheist.

I don't think Christians have much to do with Christ, other than using the name, but that is another subject. It seems that the Southern Jesus is also promoting, god, guns and how to make the church the government. The South has given us Falwell, Robertson, and various other Southern Baptist Fundamentalists. Kansas doesn't belong to the South, but it just may as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
The south, and even states in the Midwest outside of the large cities have remained staunchly conservative. The traditions of law and order, faith, right to own guns, patriotism, and honor are ingrained in the culture of these places.

Progressive ideas, such as intellectualism, science, and alternative living is thought of as 'foreign' and 'un-American'.

The south is perhaps the most conservative region of the nation- with the inland west just behind- but much more libertarian.
The chasm between the northeast and California with the more conservative south and heartland has increased dramatically in the last 20 years. Also larger cities have remained more liberal then smaller towns and rural areas.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-14-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Although they both come from the South, Clinton and Carter don't seem southern (in mentality) to me.
They don't fit your idea of what "southern (in mentality)" means. They all had successful political careers which means that a lot of southern people voted for them.

Quote:
The South upholds "traditions", whatever they are. Also, the "family values", etc. Probably god, guns, and guts. I don't talk to god, I'm an atheist
I thought that, I was just responding to you statement that God is against improvements.

Quote:
I don't think Christians have much to do with Christ, other than using the name, but that is another subject. It seems that the Southern Jesus is also promoting, god, guns and how to make the church the government. The South has given us Falwell, Robertson, and various other Southern Baptist Fundamentalists. Kansas doesn't belong to the South, but it just may as well.
I would imagine that there is a lot of variety in how Christians act. I think it's flawed to lump about 80% of the population into one group like that. As for the Southern Jesus, again there is a lot of variety in what people believe and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies