Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
What makes you think that if someone test positive for weed that they have been coming into work high?? Seriously, do you know anything about the body and the plant itself?? Weed stays in your system for about a month (three months in your hair). Doesn't it seem unfair - illogical even - that if I smoke three weeks ago and it's still in my system that I should get fired even though I wasn't high?? You've got to be kidding. If weed becomes legal, then drug test for weed should be abolished; if you conduct them and fire people based on whether they had it in their system, that's discrimination (if you didn't know that). For some it's easy to tell if they've smoked a doobie; you know the red eyes, the dopey smile, the eating, the sleeping. For some (like me) I can smoke and be perfectly fine and within my capabilities to do my job. I don't advise smoking before or at work, but to fire someone because they still have THC in their system is stupid IMHO.
this is the problem. you don't want someone to infringe on your right to smoke pot. you then want to infringe on your employers right to hire who they want and stamp out what they consider undesirable.

if your employer is stupid enough to discriminate on these grounds then sooner or later the market will punish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Err.. I am not entirely sure how you can 'disagree' with what I said, it was a general statement based on an observation. If the price goes down, and it becomes more available, surely people will be all over it as opposed to high dollar drugs such as Cocaine.

Price is relevant. It is the driving force behind illegal drug trafficking. If criminals couldn't get top dollar for the drugs they import, what would be the purpose of doing so? Money is everything, especially in the drug trade.

frankie you missed the point. if the price of mj drops to nothing, that doesn't mean that people will stop using coke or use less coke. that is like saying people will drink less if the price of cigarettes goes down. there is no correlation

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
this is the problem. you don't want someone to infringe on your right to smoke pot. you then want to infringe on your employers right to hire who they want and stamp out what they consider undesirable.

if your employer is stupid enough to discriminate on these grounds then sooner or later the market will punish them.
Mhhmm, made me think for a second; good point. True, tis the employer's right to hire who they please, but what I do in my spare time should have no bearing on my employment status unless what I do off duty is interfering with my work performance and jeopardizing the complacency and efficiency of the workplace. It's like getting drunk on the weekends. Should my job fire me because I get drunk on the weekends?? Yes, if I come into work every Monday morning with a hangover and the stench of alcohol. It is hampering the complacency of the work place and I would not be able to perform my job efficiently and correctly. But, if I get drunk on the weekends and come in on Monday morning with a bright clear face, smelling like flowers, and is able to perform my job duties with speed and efficiency, it'd be discriminating against my lifestyle if my employer decided to fire me because they didn't like that I drink. If someone is doing their job the way they are supposed to and they smoke OFF the worksite and don't come to work high, then what is the gripe, really?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
What makes you think that if someone test positive for weed that they have been coming into work high?? Seriously, do you know anything about the body and the plant itself?? Weed stays in your system for about a month (three months in your hair). Doesn't it seem unfair - illogical even - that if I smoke three weeks ago and it's still in my system that I should get fired even though I wasn't high?? You've got to be kidding. If weed becomes legal, then drug test for weed should be abolished; if you conduct them and fire people based on whether they had it in their system, that's discrimination (if you didn't know that). For some it's easy to tell if they've smoked a doobie; you know the red eyes, the dopey smile, the eating, the sleeping. For some (like me) I can smoke and be perfectly fine and within my capabilities to do my job. I don't advise smoking before or at work, but to fire someone because they still have THC in their system is stupid IMHO.

His eyes were bloodshot, he acted goofy, and uh, like I said, he kept running over sh*t.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:
Err.. I am not entirely sure how you can 'disagree' with what I said, it was a general statement based on an observation. If the price goes down, and it becomes more available, surely people will be all over it as opposed to high dollar drugs such as Cocaine.

Price is relevant. It is the driving force behind illegal drug trafficking. If criminals couldn't get top dollar for the drugs they import, what would be the purpose of doing so? Money is everything, especially in the drug trade.
I'm pretty sure that is it were made legal the price would go up, if not double.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
His eyes were bloodshot, he acted goofy, and uh, like I said, he kept running over sh*t.
Then he if he was fired, twas rightly so.

My gripe is firing people who have not come to work high who have smoked within the last month; hence the THC in their system. If I'm doing my job correctly and doing it well, I shouldn't be terminated from my job if I like to smoke on the weekends.

Of course, this is all hypothetical speaking in the case that weed is legalized.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I'm pretty sure that is it were made legal the price would go up, if not double.
Then I am pretty sure you are wrong (respectfully of course). It is expensive because it is grown and imported illegally. If it became legal, people would grow their own, or marijuana farms would emerge. An increase in supply causes a decrease in price. Simple economics.

Look how expensive beer was during prohibition. Everyone and their brother made home brew because they could make a hefty profit. After it became legal again, the industrial process dropped the price off so much, that there was no longer any purpose in making your own (except as a hobby).

Think about all the people involved in the process of getting Marijuana (or other drugs) into the country. You have the growers, the brokers, the smugglers, and finally the dealers on the street. That is a lot of people looking for their cut. With it grown in large quantities, you only need the farmer/manufacturer and the store you would go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Frankie you missed the point. if the price of mj drops to nothing, that doesn't mean that people will stop using coke or use less coke. that is like saying people will drink less if the price of cigarettes goes down. there is no correlation
Well, for the most part, Marijuana is usually for the poor, and Cocaine is for the rich. However, a lot of people do mix it up a bit. If they can get a fix from Marijuana, why go for something more expensive, more addictive, more difficult to get, and more mentally/physically destructive like Cocaine or Meth?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
Some Cities and a few states as a whole has decriminalized it

It will never ever be legal on a national level.

edit: I did not know about this
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6670

Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:
Then I am pretty sure you are wrong (respectfully of course). It is expensive because it is grown and imported illegally. If it became legal, people would grow their own, or marijuana farms would emerge. An increase in supply causes a decrease in price. Simple economics.

Look how expensive beer was during prohibition. Everyone and their brother made home brew because they could make a hefty profit. After it became legal again, the industrial process dropped the price off so much, that there was no longer any purpose in making your own (except as a hobby).

Think about all the people involved in the process of getting Marijuana (or other drugs) into the country. You have the growers, the brokers, the smugglers, and finally the dealers on the street. That is a lot of people looking for their cut. With it grown in large quantities, you only need the farmer/manufacturer and the store you would go through.
You have any idea how highly it would be taxed if it would be made legal? And it would be a controlled substance still. I seriously doubt that it would still be legal to grow it in your back yard. A more likely scenario would that it would be like cigs. You need proof of ID to purchase, it would be illegal to give to minors, and it would be taxed to hell and back, but like I said, unlike cigs, I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to grow your own. As for your thinking it is expensive... marijuana is the cheapest drug you can get, legal or not. It is a weed it is super easy to grow, if the government had control over it by regulating it, the only place the price could go is up. Also, I have no idea where you get this notion that marijuana is for the poor while coke is for the rich. I've never heard that anywhere else outside of your post. Coke is man made, is FAAAAAAAAR more destructive to the body, and it is a different kind of high, all more than reason enough not to touch the stuff.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
You have any idea how highly it would be taxed if it would be made legal? And it would be a controlled substance still. I seriously doubt that it would still be legal to grow it in your back yard. A more likely scenario would that it would be like cigs. You need proof of ID to purchase, it would be illegal to give to minors, and it would be taxed to hell and back, but like I said, unlike cigs, I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to grow your own. As for your thinking it is expensive... marijuana is the cheapest drug you can get, legal or not. It is a weed it is super easy to grow, if the government had control over it by regulating it, the only place the price could go is up. Also, I have no idea where you get this notion that marijuana is for the poor while coke is for the rich. I've never heard that anywhere else outside of your post. Coke is man made, is FAAAAAAAAR more destructive to the body, and it is a different kind of high, all more than reason enough not to touch the stuff.
Illegal drugs are already taxed in 23 states! Check out the link I posted in my last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies