Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times

Advertisements

Hopefully it won't happen, but do you guys think communism will put an end to all the crime in this country?

Communism in other countries have done so (exp: Cuba).

Your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
No.

Too big. Too diverse. Cuba has crime. The "press" does not report it unless it is "against the people"

Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Hopefully it won't happen, but do you guys think communism will put an end to all the crime in this country?

Your opinion?

Reality check, Communism has not stop crime. Cuba has as much crime as any other nation in the Western Hemisphere. The only difference is that it is never reported on the news or you don't hear about it outside the island. I know, I was born in Cuba.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM

Well yes, Cuba has crimes no doubt, but not big big crimes like here in the US.

My ex who was cuban told me about it.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,304 times
Quote:
Well yes, Cuba has crimes no doubt, but not big big crimes like here in the US.

My ex who was cuban told me about it.
It happens all the time, but it is not reported. It is all part of the communist cover up. Kids get raped, every body is a thief, murders happen as often as in the USA.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:

Your opinion?

My opinion is Communism couldn't do that until we elect a Communist government. I think we're a long way from being that open a society, so its a moot point.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
It happens all the time, but it is not reported. It is all part of the communist cover up. Kids get raped, every body is a thief, murders happen as often as in the USA.
That's true.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Ummh. What about crimes against humanity that the Cuba government has committed over the years (political prisoners and the like.) Same goes for china and in the past with the old Soviet Union. Look these governments are basically Oppressive totalitarian states rather than pure communism states where the worker would get a fair shake.
Well to be fair I think street crime would go down a bit if communism came back/to certain countries. But really are would these people be safer under a government that could throw you in jail/execute you because of certain beliefs (usually political) you have. In fact if you look at the history of USSR they sent people to the gulags just on accusations (no proof) of believing something that the government was against.
While I know America is not perfect and we may have high crime and jail the most people in the world. I think a Communist (like the kind under China, USSR, and Cuba) reign would bring a stop to a lot of petty crime and some major crime. But in the end would commit more (and more devastating) crimes in the name of keeping order.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
"I think a Communist (like the kind under China, USSR, and Cuba) reign would bring a stop to a lot of petty crime and some major crime."

What maroons!

"Considering the size of the Chinese population the relative number of executions in China is still large. Even by the confirmed numbers, the rate of executions in China (0.07 per 100,000 people) is higher than the United States (0.02 per 100,000) and Pakistan (0.05 per 100,000), though Iran (0.25 per 100,000) executes more prisoners per capita. Amnesty International declares that the true figures were higher; they estimate that China executed between 7,500 and 8,000 people in 2006, estimating to reach the 10,000 landmark by 2008.[3]"

Capital punishment in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If they don't have crime, then who are all those people being executed?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If they don't have crime, then who are all those people being executed?

Please reread what I stated. I said some major crimes would be stop. I didn't say it would end them. I also didn't say there wouldn't be criminals either there would be.
Of course one could argue what make a criminal in china as oppose to the U.S. Also we could look at what the differences in what warrants an execution/imprisonment between the two countries. My guess in china is that a lot of those executions and imprisonments were politically motivated. Also I would say that lot of the "crimes" committed would not be crimes here in the U.S. (Going to the wrong banned website, etc.) and/or those things considered crimes in both countries would not be punished in the same level of severity.

So. I continue will still stand behind that if a communist reign came to power a lot of the petty crime (shoplifting for ex.) could probably be cut down a bit. And some major crimes (car theft, Murder) would also be stopped out of fear of being caught and being punished severely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies