Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should 55+ Communities Be Allowed Or Banned?
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be BANNED 7 6.14%
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be ALLOWED 90 78.95%
Should Be Allowed Only In Certain Circumstances 17 14.91%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm in the 55+ category, and I just got a speeding ticket in Germany.
Be careful of your stereotypes.
I've seen plenty of young people talking on the phone and being as oblivious as AARP members are accused of being.
Most traffic accidents involve young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:39 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hey, I'm in the 55+ category, and I just got a speeding ticket in Germany.
Be careful of your stereotypes.
I've seen plenty of young people talking on the phone and being as oblivious as AARP members are accused of being.
Most traffic accidents involve young people.
I think elderly fast drivers are the exception, not the rule, but more power to you. I just wish people would figure out that the number one lane is the FAST LANE! That drives me up the wall. My grandma drove like a bat out of hell but my grandpa was so focused and slow that one time, when we pulled up next to him in our car at a red light, he glanced over at us for like half a second but wouldn't take his hands off the wheel to wave at us, lol.

I agree with the cell phone thing, it's just ridiculous that people actually believe they can drive well while focusing on their phone conversation. I'm so glad I ride the bus now, my stress level has dropped dramatically.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Geez. One would think that these seniors have never paid taxes themselves or contributed a damn thing to this country from the way you are making it sound. God forbid someone who has worked their ass off for a lifetime and in a lot of cases with the elderly, served their country have a freaking nice vehicle to drive. Those old bastards.

During one of the many SS reform efforts a few years back, I saw a story on ABC that many in the "Greatest Generation" had recieved so many payments & benefits from the Gov't in their retirement that they were getting back - with interest - more $ then they had paid in SS & income taxes during their entire lives. So please spare the "We've earned it and we won WW2!!" routine. I just don't have a lot of tolerance for people complaining about how poorly we treat seniors in this country when as a demographic, they are the both the wealthiest age group and the largest recipients of gov't spending.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And it may be a sign that we just don't want to be around spoiled, poorly behaved brats.

Bad behavior in children may be a sign of entitled parents who don't understand that their kids aren't cute to anyone else but them.
If this weren't true, why would Supernanny be on TV?
Ditto.
I am ready to move into one now, but sadly can't .

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Age qualified communities are very popular in Arizona, Nevada and Southern California.

Anyone, regardless of age, can purchase a property is these communities - although they may not be able to reside there.

I support totally the rights of our older generation to live as, and where, they wish too.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
OC, since I'm in that group now, and have been paying taxes since I was 16, please tell me how your scenario applies.

Most people who were adults during WWII are dead or dying. They're in their 80s or 90s.
I'd also ask that if you're going to present something as fact, you provide a credible link to the information.

BTW, SS would be extremely viable if it weren't robbed to pay other government bills.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-15-2009 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes yes yes. they are just plain rude.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a lot of seniors would love to stick around and share their wisdom, but we as a society tend to marginalize and disenfranchise them.

I see your point on how we do take care of these people, but they paid into the system for this very reason. A system, btw, that we wouldn't need if we didn't shamelessly pawn off our seniors to be taken care of by the state instead of their own families. As someone from an asian background, I still say we treat our seniors poorly, despite paying for medical care and reiumbursing the social security they paid into the system for.
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I love old people. But sometimes, yes, their driving skills or lack thereof irritate me. I always feel guilty whenever I see really old, sweet-looking people. Like on the bus one time, the bus driver pulled away just as an elderly man was walking to the stop with his grocery bags and I yelled really quick for the bus driver to wait (because sometimes the driver will) but she didn't and I just felt so bad. I don't really get it, but everytime I look at old people I just feel guilty for real and perceived injustices that other people visit on them. I definitely understand why they want to be somewhere peaceful and quiet for their retirement and so we should try to be understanding of them. Besides, it's not as if these communities comprise a huge percentage of available housing anyway and until they do, I don't think it presents an issue at all. So long as the only criteria is age, not race or sexual orientation or religion, then it's all good.
Yes.

I suppose the thing with older people is that we've been there and done that, and some of us never want to do it again, while others are more easygoing, and still see ourselves as part of a larger community.
I agree with the OP that the isolation is sad and it is depressing to think of how different groups of any sort must constantly segregate themselves.

I am 54 and do not live in a special 55+ community, but my neighborhood is kinda heavy on oldsters and so whenever I see kids, the few who live here or visiting grandkids, it's special and fun for me. I *like* hearing high-pitched laughter, the rumble of Big Wheels or even crying babies, but I can tune that out if I need to.

OTOH, my idea of a nightmare/worst case scenario would be to return to a college dorm situation; I don't especially want to hear guffawing frat-boys past 10 pm, let alone booming drum-and-bass at 1am.

The phrase "Can't we all get along" comes to mind--but I remember back in the 1970's, the last house my mom and dad owned, when we left the 'burbs and went back to the city. The house was across from an late-night laundromat, and we'd be in our bedrooms trying to get to sleep while someone, doing his laundry at midnight, blasted out Van Halen's "Dance the Night Away."
Sometimes that larger community can be a pain in the butt, and that's when the phrase "Get off my lawn!" comes to mind.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
Yeah, please let them live in a 55 and older community and let them be.

Better that than they be around us all depressed and controlling in a way that is not positive for children's normal activities and development. Let kids be kids. If you cannot tolerate noise and action it may be a sign of rapid ageing with depression and paranoia along with confusion and therefore possibly demensia(spelling?) so get into a supporting community and get medical help.
It's also a lot better to let them alone than it is to be ran over by a '70s Buick Electra with a 90 yo lady driving it that can't see over the steering wheel of that barge.Let them stay in their gated communities and run over each other.

If you see a car like this coming your way..PULL OVER INTO THE DITCH!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Let them stay in their gated communities and run over each other.
Del Webb Sun City, with bunches of locations all over the country, are NOT "gated" communities. NOR, are most of the other age qualified communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies