Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

Congress Approves Release Of Bailout Funds, Senate Turns Away Effort To Block Release Of Remaining $350 Billion Earmarked To Stabilize Financial System - CBS News
Two days after Obama personally lobbied for release of $350 billion in bailout funds, the Senate narrowly turned aside a bid to block the money.

"I'm gratified that a majority of the U.S. Senate, both Democrats and Republicans, voted today to give me the authority to implement the rest of the financial rescue plan in a new and responsible way," Mr. Obama said in a statement. "I know this wasn't an easy vote because of the frustration so many of us share about how the first half of this plan was implemented.

Congratulations to Presidents Bush and Obama for working together to make this happen. Kudos for both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
This news must of just broke because I haven't seen or heard anything about on the Tube...

Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
This news must of just broke because I haven't seen or heard anything about on the Tube...
Was on the evening news. Not a lot of play. The plane crash took up a lot of energy.
Senate OKs use of second half of bailout funds - CNN.com
(CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama won a significant political victory Thursday, just days before his inauguration,The Senate voted 52-42 against a resolution that would have barred Obama from using the roughly $350 billion remaining in the program.

A number of senators crossed party lines on the vote. Six Republican senators voted for the release of the bailout funds, and nine Democratic senators voted to bar the use of the remaining billions.
as the Senate voted to release the second half of the $700 billion bailout package.

The networks are often slow on news and not a very timely source for a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies