Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
The phrase "terrorists use civilians as human shields" is such a load of crud. Where do you expect people (terrorists) to live? Gaza ain't that big so, duh, they live in the same concentration camp hell hole that the rest of the Gazans live in. You can say that dumb phrase all you want, but it isn't the truth and when more than a thousand people get slaughtered, and their humanitarian relief food gets burned to the ground by using illegal weapons then something doesn't sit right in my gut and like I've said before, The Israelis are repeating their own sorry history, only this time being the aggressor, while the whole world watches and waits for the US to do something about it.

Gain a new perspective people. The rest of the world understands how criminal Isreal is behaving, but their hands are tied. Has it ever crossed your minds that maybe WE are wrong, and the rest of the world is right? Or do you prefer to live up to the "arrogant, idiot American" stereotype?
So what do you suggest? America takes a hand off approach to Israel. Walk away wiping the dust from our hands........That would be OK except for the radioactive cloud in the rear view mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is still an over reaction. How many people have been killed by rockets fired into Israel over 8 years. To the best of my knowledge it is about 24 now how many US civilians and Border partrol have been killed by illegal Mexican gansters and thugs over the past 8 years? (Hint it is a whole lot more)...does the Mexican government try to stop these people on their end of the boarder no. Are we bombing Mexico back into the stone age...no because that would be an overreaction just like what Israel is doing now. There are ways of dealing with these things without killing a lot of civilians yes, Hamas like the illegal Mexican gansters are in the wrong, but it is also wrong to kill wholesale 1000 people 300+ of who are children.
Israel is better at killing Palestinians than vice versa.

So if I knew that someone might whack my family if I threw rocks at their house, I might just think twice before throwing those rocks, wouldn't I?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Well, if you support Hamas, you are to blame. No matter how you look at it, Israel is only fighting back after years of terrorism and violence. I saw the violence first hand in 1997 when I was only 50 yards away from a Palestinian terrorist who blew himself and 16 others (all innocent) to death in the Mahane Yehuda Market attack. To claim that Palestinians live in a concentration camp and are the victims of Israeli aggression is outlandish. Palestinians would be accepted into Israel if they didn't support Hamas and other terrorist groups. But every time Israel wants to talk peace, the Palestinians commit another atrocity or fire some rockets into Israel. If Israel really wanted to exterminate Palestine, it would have happened years ago, as the Israelis are far more capable militarily than any of the Islamic nations that support Palestine.

I'm not even an ardent supporter of Israel, but Palestine playing the victim card is like the Taliban playing the victim card. You can't call yourself the victim when you're the terrorists.
Lefty, the truth is that palestinians support for hamas and other Islamic radical organizations in large numbers is relatively new. It coincides with the collapse of the soviet union and communism. I am old enough to remember the palestinian enthusiasm for communism in the 60s. If you read history you will see that in the 40s they supported Nazi Germany (there is a famous 1941 photo of Haj Amin al Husseini, (the Mufti of Jerusalem) with Hitler, though that was focused more against the british. The extermination of jews was only the "frosting on the cake".
That being said, the palestinians are victims. They are victims of their leaders and policies and their suffering is real. People live in inhumane conditions in Gaza and in many other places. Therefore, even palestinians support hamas, Israel can and probably should act differently. I am looking forward to the end of the current military actions. Lets be practical:
hamas needs to stop rocket fire (entirely) and stop spending eevry penny they have on tunneling projects and rockets.
Israel should open the passages to humanitarian aid, and pull its army from gaza asap. there should be a period of total calm before serious negotiations begin.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM

540 posts, read 629,877 times
Quote:
Do I get tired? Yes, I get tired of endless occupation of my people, slaughtering of civilians, having my tax dollars go to a government that commits war crimes and doesn't even think twice about it. Y'know, everyone has to have an issue, some people are obsessed with movie stars or acquiring wealth, I guess mine is speaking up for fairness and what's right. Sorry if the truth makes you uncomfortable.
Right right, it has to be the truth though and I have to be oppposed to the truth. I will tell you what you wish though, "Israel is not the bad guy". People that recruit young relious drug induced hapless morons to blow people up are the bad guys.

Seriously how silly is that? What kind of crazed, brain washed moron would do such a thing?

Sadly, these people do have the power to rise up of their own accord and liberate and deliver themselves. They just need a serious change of attitude and a willingness to work togeather toward peace. If the Chinese can rise out of communism and do what they are doing, the Palestinians can do the same.

If they stopped raiding Israel with bombs, started getting aid from the west and from the middle east do you think they would be better off?

You don't reward bad children and you don't reward the deeds of bad actors. I don't think they are intrinsically bad people. I think they are all messsed up on their lord. If their lord makes them do that they might want to rethink their lord.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Israel is better at killing Palestinians than vice versa.

So if I knew that someone might whack my family if I threw rocks at their house, I might just think twice before throwing those rocks, wouldn't I?
Yeah, but most Palestinians arn't shooting missles. Put yourself in their shoes a moment say you live in a place like Gaza and a militant group has a tunnel under your house. You may even hate the militant group, but it is not like you can do anything because they have lots of guns. At best your house is bombed making you and your family homeless at worst you and your family are in that house. Maybe you didn't even know there was a tunnel there. The fact of the matter is a lot of people are dying now and all that is going to result from this is a whole lot of dead children and a lot of people who now hate and or have become racist against Jews and Arabs because wars bread that kind of irrational haterd.

Essentially rather then going into Gaza Israel was a lot better off both politically and economically with the rest of the world when it had international sympathy for Sderot. Now Israel has lost that sympathy and Gaza has gained it, maybe not in the United States (though the US is not nearly as pro-Israel as it was 20 years ago), but certainly in Europe and Asia and as such is going to emerge from this conflict in a much weaker possition in everything from international trade to foreign policy clout. I guerentee it.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
The phrase "terrorists use civilians as human shields" is such a load of crud. Where do you expect people (terrorists) to live? Gaza ain't that big so, duh, they live in the same concentration camp hell hole that the rest of the Gazans live in. You can say that dumb phrase all you want, but it isn't the truth and when more than a thousand people get slaughtered, and their humanitarian relief food gets burned to the ground by using illegal weapons then something doesn't sit right in my gut and like I've said before, The Israelis are repeating their own sorry history, only this time being the aggressor, while the whole world watches and waits for the US to do something about it.

Gain a new perspective people. The rest of the world understands how criminal Isreal is behaving, but their hands are tied. Has it ever crossed your minds that maybe WE are wrong, and the rest of the world is right? Or do you prefer to live up to the "arrogant, idiot American" stereotype?
Quote:
Yes it's unfortunate that UN buildings and hospitals and schools are not safe havens for civilians while being bombed with F14s and the like.

Well..., you have shown just how much you actually know about that which you speak. You really need to read some new propaganda.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,297 times
Quote:
Essentially rather then going into Gaza Israel was a lot better off both politically and economically with the rest of the world when it had international sympathy for Sderot. Now Israel has lost that sympathy and Gaza has gained it, maybe not in the United States (though the US is not nearly as pro-Israel as it was 20 years ago), but certainly in Europe and Asia and as such is going to emerge from this conflict in a much weaker possition in everything from international trade to foreign policy clout. I guerentee it.
If im not wrong, current statistics shows as there being around 7mil of jewish origins and around 6mil muslims in the US. 1 mil short...but not for long.. the tide will eventually turn

Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
If im not wrong, current statistics shows as there being around 7mil of jewish origins and around 6mil muslims in the US. 1 mil short...but not for long.. the tide will eventually turn
The war isn't between muslims and jews. It's between Hamas and Israel.

Keep laughing, braderjoe.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Not that simple. In the US there are a lot more people than Jews who support Israel in fact I believe Christian Zionists (some of whom are anti-semetic strangely enough) out number both Jews and Arabs by a lot. Additionally in terms of money power and political representation Jews are a lot more established than Muslims in the US. There are a great deal of Jewish Congressmen and Senators, but only 2 muslims and 1 Arab Congresspersons. So US support for Israel will likely continue for a long time.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,297 times
Quote:
Not that simple. In the US there are a lot more people than Jews who support Israel in fact I believe Christian Zionists (some of whom are anti-semetic strangely enough) out number both Jews and Arabs by a lot. Additionally in terms of money power and political representation Jews are a lot more established than Muslims in the US. There are a great deal of Jewish Congressmen and Senators, but only 2 muslims and 1 Arab Congresspersons. So US support for Israel will likely continue for a long time.
Sigh...You're right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies