Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America evil?
Yes 47 29.56%
No 112 70.44%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
It was when you posted this thread topic. It's not now
You mean because Obama is President now? Personally, I hope with all my heart he really will change something, but he hasn't earned our faith yet. It's foolish to assume he'll be everything he said (or that we assume he said) before he starts making good on it. Even then, if he does good in the public eye and keeps up the old trend in the legal underwriting, away from the media, I'd be just as disapointed... maybe even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
America is an "experiment".....nobody ever tried such a country before we did. It had many noble results, and the capacity to experience 'guilt' as a society, and to admit and correct past wrongs.

America has been HUGELY 'blessed'. It's ALSO turned hard work and 'self-discipline' and individual freedom into the world's leading economy.

It's now sick. Its people have lost their values, much of their common sense, and have gravitated toward a litigious, squabbling, balkanized, selfish society of mutually-hostile 'groups'.

It's a GREAT country..maybe the greatest the world has ever known...that is presently mired in a swamp of despair and self-doubt and has lost its sense of direction.

Hopefully it will recover soon. That depends on what WE do.
Well stated. Things will get better soon, I know it. We're in the beginning stages of the "Information Age" and rapid change world-wide is happening at a scale never before seen. This is an adjustment period we're going through. It's been a wild ride thus far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. I'm looking forward to what our children accomplish while I'm alive, and what new technologies will be developed.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I am NOT responsible for anyone that takes more then they give back.
Wow, most rich people are probably included in this category...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
No, it is! It IS your responsibility. You are responsible. According to Obama and the author of "It Takes a Village". You are absolutley responsible for anyone who had crack addicts for parents. You are responsible for some crazy-rear-end extremist view that led to 9/11. You are. You are responsible for slavery (even if your ancestors didn't set foot in America until AFTER the fact). You are responsible for Joe Commune who prefers to dance in the rain and eat "high meat" while un-schooling his kids.
According to G.W. Bush and his supporters, I am responsible and have to pay for the war in Iraq. Gee, I hate to pay my hard earned bucks to finance the war effort. I hate to know my kids will still have to pay when this will be just another bad memory in history books. I don't feel responsible for that and for keeping US troops in the last 60 years in the far east for example. What can I do about that?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Good one; however, there are plenty of liberals that are devoted to Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
Corporations who messed up get trillions in hand outs, Iraq war started on lies and tons of people got rich off of it

There is no level of deceny left in America, the wealthy corrupt Republicans want you to put your head in the Bible because they know it is garbage and they want you to remain stupid

has America always been evil or has it just been the last 8 years?

I used to be proud to be an American, I used to think America was the greatest place on earth, now I only wish I got out of this diseased land when W was announced president again back in 04

Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Wow, most rich people are probably included in this category...

According to G.W. Bush and his supporters, I am responsible and have to pay for the war in Iraq. Gee, I hate to pay my hard earned bucks to finance the war effort. I hate to know my kids will still have to pay when this will be just another bad memory in history books. I don't feel responsible for that and for keeping US troops in the last 60 years in the far east for example. What can I do about that?
Most rich people are deemed "rich" by liberals if you make $250K a year. You ain't rich if you live where I do. You're doing what you should be. Paying your bills and saving money for your kids college funds and your retirement (not everyone works for a union where you get a pension after 20+ years).

And you live where?

Gee, I hate to pay my hard earned bucks [according to Obama and his supporters]to finance morons who get pregnant at 12. Or morons who can't make ends meet b/c fun time is more important than working. Or morons who who decide to un-school and live off the land and can't provide for their kids (b/c work isn't at the top of their priorities in life either) or people who over-edumacate themselves and owe $400K in student loans and then go work for non-profit agencies and can't get by no matter how "intellectual" they THINK they are (but THEY ALL KNOW how smart they are when they blame people who actually "work for a living" and make a good buck, don't they)?

Perhaps you should open your eyes and learn yourself a few things...like WHY we went to war (the real reason, not the liberal horse-crap liberal media-fed reason). 60 years. For naught? What would you prefer to be speaking right now? Your best attempt at English or some ME language while your wife walks behind you in a burka or your husband walks 10 feet ahead of you while you can't see crap for the burka?

Apples and oranges dude. Wake up and get over it.

Last edited by JerseyG; 02-09-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
No.
the bastards (congress, house members) are the evil ones.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Not since Obama came to town.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Perhaps you should open your eyes and learn yourself a few things...like WHY we went to war (the real reason, not the liberal horse-crap liberal media-fed reason). 60 years. For naught? What would you prefer to be speaking right now? Your best attempt at English or some ME language while your wife walks behind you in a burka or your husband walks 10 feet ahead of you while you can't see crap for the burka?
Apples and oranges dude. Wake up and get over it.
My point is that when living in a society you have to make concessions. Sometimes you pay for things you disagree with. It is because the majority in that society decided to follow a different path. Many in this country object the war in Iraq. Others (not necessary liberals, but even Ron Paul supporters) claim that our military spending in keeping foreign bases is unsustainable (Japan, Korea, Philippines, etc. ). They further say that if the choice is between defending Taiwan from China or providing better education or healthcare to their community, they prefer the later. However, all these years they payed taxes in spite of their belief. Now, with the new congress and administration, you have to pay for things you might disagree with, since you are a member of this democratic society.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't generally think or speak in terms of good and evil. But I voted yes, we are an evil country on the basis that if you created a country with all the bad attributes of America, but gave it a different name, flag and language, Americans would have no problem jumping up and down screaming to the heavens that it was evil, and probably demanding that it be invaded. Especially if you told Americans that imaginary country X hates us for our freedom, or some similar nugget of horse dung.

It's just Oceania/Eastasia/Eurasia for most people. That's the level they exist on: root for the home team, and denounce the other team for doing the same things your own guys are doing.
Well said.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Hold up! I am NOT responsible for the lazy, person that does not want to work and better themselves. I am NOT responsible for the kid that joins a gang and quits school, I am NOT responsible for the thief that feels it is easier to steal then work. What I AM responsible for is myself and my children. It is MY responsibility to do what I can to help this country, it is MY responsibility to raise my children so that they will add good to the country and hopefully raise their children the same way but I am NOT responsible for anyone that takes more then they give back.
Agreed!

Recently in the town where I live, a teenage girl was murdered by her boyfriend (he took a hammer and smashed her skull in and left her in the snow to die). What's even more appalling are all of the people who were crying out that he should be given some sort of special treatment because apparently he was raised an orphan. Many people actually said "We as a society were obligated to raise him and we failed. It is our fault he did what he did." (Yes, there were people who actually said this). WTF? First off, how was it my MY obigation to raise him? Besides, HE choose to pick up the hammer and murder her-no one made him do that!

People need to start taking responsibility for themselves and thier actions. Until then, our society will only continue to regress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies