Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Actually no - that is not what the article is saying at all. The Marines do not engage the drug cartels on either side of the border. And if they were to go into Mexico as an active military unit that would be an issue - it is called invasion of a sovereign nation.

This stuff happens all the time and is routine. When I was in the Navy back 15-20 years ago in SoCal they periodically banned marines and navy back then from going into Mexico while off duty. It was because they tended to get drunk and stupid down there and often ended up getting in fights or in jail. One guy brought a gun down there and was in the Mexico clinker for months.

The drug violence is greater now, but marines and navy guys have not changed much.
And my experience in San Diego nearly 30 years ago. The OP either read way too much into this article, has no clue about some military postings or has some sort of perceived issue he wants to stir up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
This stuff happens all the time and is routine. When I was in the Navy back 15-20 years ago in SoCal they periodically banned marines and navy back then from going into Mexico while off duty. It was because they tended to get drunk and stupid down there and often ended up getting in fights or in jail. One guy brought a gun down there and was in the Mexico clinker for months.
You want to talk about stupid--my dad was in the Marines at Guantanamo in '69-'70 and he said they actually used to sneak off the base and into the Cuban border towns. And they wonder why the military doesn't have a reputation for being bright...

Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredemann View Post
I'm at a loss for words......
There is NO place on Earth too dangerous for a United States Marine. I repeat NO place!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Excuse me the article warns marines who are traveling across the border to Mexico for R&R and to those going for business trips (require pre-approval).
These are for unarmed visits.. during Vietnam weren't there warnings against going to Bangkok at some point?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There is NO place on Earth too dangerous for a United States Marine. I repeat NO place!
What utter nonsense. I have another word for it but CD seems to block out such phrases.

Kev, you think that Marines don't bleed like regular folks? I can assure you, with unsalable experience that they do, whether it is combat or bar fights. I think you have watched too many recruiting videos.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What utter nonsense. I have another word for it but CD seems to block out such phrases.

Kev, you think that Marines don't bleed like regular folks? I can assure you, with unsalable experience that they do, whether it is combat or bar fights. I think you have watched too many recruiting videos.
The United States Marines are the TOUGHEST people on Earth. Like all people, sure they bleed but when a Marine bleeds, he throws a band aid on the wound and gets up and kicks some ass. A Marine does not let the sight of blood- his own ro somebody elses deter him from his mission.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The United States Marines are the TOUGHEST people on Earth. Like all people, sure they bleed but when a Marine bleeds, he throws a band aid on the wound and gets up and kicks some ass. A Marine does not let the sight of blood- his own ro somebody elses deter him from his mission.
Oh, puleeze! Grow up! You must either be up past your bed time or you just graduated from MCRD.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
I CAN'T HEEEARRR YOUUU !!!!!

Ok, YOU MAGGOTS FALL OUT !!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM

Judging from Kev's other posts, on reexamination, I think he has been pulling our virtual legs.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
That's possible. He reminds me of my childhood friend Dave around the age of ten, when we'd play soldier. Most people grow out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies