U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,558,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Well if they are going to they're taking a hellova lot of time to do it
I don't believe the argument was about the time frame, but rather, whether they are going to eventually do it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 04:38 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,274,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I don't believe the argument was about the time frame, but rather, whether they are going to eventually do it or not.
Too much at stake if they did, many would be in an uproar more so than with the pistols. Alot of peoples livelihood on the line, farmers, gamekeepers, sportsmen (guides) theres alot of weathly folk that participate in shoots. Along with the fact that hunting is enshrined in our culture, it would never pass. Not by a long shot.

Too many gun owners.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM

16,885 posts, read 12,992,350 times
Quote:
As a hunter and gun owner it doesn't bother me. Never been into handguns so its not effected me in the slightest.

too bad you dont have a 2nd Amendment that is supposed to protect your right to use and own firearms.

oh thats right.....subjects, not citizens.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Too much at stake if they did, many would be in an uproar more so than with the pistols. Alot of peoples livelihood on the line, farmers, gamekeepers, sportsmen (guides) theres alot of weathly folk that participate in shoots. Along with the fact that hunting is enshrined in our culture, it would never pass. Not by a long shot.

Too many gun owners.
lol, do you really think your rulers would give a rats ass about any "uproar" that might occur?

Is the right to self defense not also enshrined in your culture?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,198,202 times
Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say your ignorant but there is no way in hell they will ban shotguns and rifles. They need them for wildlife management and i think with the amount of money our hunting rakes in i doubt it very much.

I've owned guns for 6 years, no one has ever bothered me. I do however respect the laws and regulations in my country.
THey could make it like some countries, the police keep your guns and it's a pile of red tape to check them out. How'd you like that?

And so what about people's livelihood? What can you do if they did do it? Shoot them? Not a chance, you lost any ability to overthrow a runaway government...

Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
lol, do you really think your rulers would give a rats ass about any "uproar" that might occur?

Is the right to self defense not also enshrined in your culture?
Like i said they'd lose alot of revenue, every government likes the green stuff so i cant see it happening. Here we've had these debates before and there is no way they'll ban hunting/sporting guns they couldn't afford to.

Yes there is self defense laws here but you cant just willy nilly shoot someone. Has to be reasonable force.

I'm not going to keep going over this but im just trying to get it accross about our ways of thinking/regulations.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Like i said they'd lose alot of revenue, every government likes the green stuff so i cant see it happening. Here we've had these debates before and there is no way they'll ban hunting/sporting guns they couldn't afford to.

Yes there is self defense laws here but you cant just willy nilly shoot someone. Has to be reasonable force.

I'm not going to keep going over this but im just trying to get it accross about our ways of thinking/regulations.
What's "reasonable" when someone is attacking you with a gun? A handgun is probably the best self defense tool out there...take that away, and what real right to self defense do you have? Not to mention that other tools that might possibly be used for self defense have also been restricted over there.

What % of your government's revenue comes from hunting, in whatever form...taxes, fees, whatever?

Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
What's "reasonable" when someone is attacking you with a gun? A handgun is probably the best self defense tool out there...take that away, and what real right to self defense do you have? Not to mention that other tools that might possibly be used for self defense have also been restricted over there.

What % of your government's revenue comes from hunting, in whatever form...taxes, fees, whatever?
This is Scotland, not America

Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM

16,885 posts, read 12,992,350 times
Quote:

here in the USA the 2nd Amendment has very little or nothing at all to do with hunting. when people understand that maybe they will start to leave the 2nd Amendment alone, but somehow i doubt it.

the 2nd has always been in place to basically keep the goverment honest and from becoming tyrranical against its own citizens.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM

21,364 posts, read 14,264,551 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you're delusional.

If you really don't think the government will eventually come after your shotguns, you're out of your mind. I'm sure the handgun owners thought the same thing. I'm sure your Olympic shooters thought the same thing...yet now they're having to practice overseas.

As for the wildlife management, there's nothing that private hunters are doing that a government agent can't do.
He did say hunting was enshrined in their culture, and most hunters dont use handguns. In other countries, they can be rational about the argument, in this country, any mention of sensible laws sends the frighteningly large segment of society that is addicted to the gun culture into a frothing frenzy.

We will continue to lead the world in shooting deaths, no need to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or