U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,885 posts, read 12,992,350 times
Reputation: 5211

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He did say hunting was enshrined in their culture, and most hunters dont use handguns. In other countries, they can be rational about the argument, in this country, any mention of sensible laws sends the frighteningly large segment of society that is addicted to the gun culture into a frothing frenzy.

We will continue to lead the world in shooting deaths, no need to worry.

if the entire US populace was disarmed, the USA would still lead the rest of the world in shooting deaths, as the federals have a good chance of gunning down innocent civilains everytime they bust down a door and go tactical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,980 posts, read 7,274,970 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He did say hunting was enshrined in their culture, and most hunters dont use handguns. In other countries, they can be rational about the argument, in this country, any mention of sensible laws sends the frighteningly large segment of society that is addicted to the gun culture into a frothing frenzy.

We will continue to lead the world in shooting deaths, no need to worry.
I am not male! Do you not know what lass means?

I'm a lady

Your right in what your saying about the laws we're a totally different animal here we're not America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 AM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,474,522 times
Reputation: 1292
There was an epic sized thread a few months back.

The British called - They want their guns back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,574,228 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Well if they are going to they're taking a hellova lot of time to do it
Like boiling a frog. By the time you realize what's happening it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
They've had pleanty of time to do it. Hunting is so deeply enshrined into my culture...
Hunting is deeply enshrined in our culture too. (And I thought Britain was a country that used to enjoy things like fox hunting. Not sure how that's working out...)

But look what happens when people vote, who aren't concerned because it doesn't affect "their guns":

We get Obama, and his infinite wisdom:

Press Release | Obama "Regulatory Czar" has Secret Animal-Rights Agenda, Says Consumer Group (http://www.consumerfreedom.org/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/249 - broken link)

"...tapped by President-elect Obama to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs..."

"...In a 2007 speech at Harvard University, Sunstein argued in favor of entirely "eliminating current practices such as … meat eating." He also proposed: "We ought to ban hunting, I suggest, if there isn't a purpose other than sport and fun. That should be against the law. It's time now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,574,228 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if the entire US populace was disarmed, the USA would still lead the rest of the world in shooting deaths...
Not to mention if the populace were disarmed, the criminals would have a field day with a bunch of helpless sheep.

Because as we all know, laws affect law-abiding people, not criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 AM
 
Location: England
3,249 posts, read 3,132,224 times
Reputation: 3208
I have never heard either in passing, or in conversation a person say that they would like to own a gun.
I just can't understand some americans obsession with firearms, they seem to think that people in the UK want our gunlaws changed, we don't.
Who knows the technology may exist in the future for an obsessed gun lover to pro-create with their Winchester pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,053 posts, read 10,077,749 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post



Hunting is deeply enshrined in our culture too. (And I thought Britain was a country that used to enjoy things like fox hunting. Not sure how that's working out...)
Fox hunting has nothing to do with guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,980 posts, read 7,274,970 times
Reputation: 1853
Fox hunting was banned because people thought it was cruel, it is. But thats besides the point this thread is about gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:12 AM
 
1,079 posts, read 1,558,462 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He did say hunting was enshrined in their culture, and most hunters dont use handguns. In other countries, they can be rational about the argument, in this country, any mention of sensible laws sends the frighteningly large segment of society that is addicted to the gun culture into a frothing frenzy.

We will continue to lead the world in shooting deaths, no need to worry.
I'm not sure I take your point. How is it unreasonable to want to use an effective self defense tool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 AM
 
1,079 posts, read 1,558,462 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
This is Scotland, not America
Ok.

Now answer the questions that I actually asked, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top