Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
You’re right; it was an emotional response to the Dunblane Massacre and had no other basis. It’s worth noting, however, that Britain never had anywhere near the level of handgun violence of the U.S. despite the fact that handguns were legal there until 1997. Also, despite their bans, handgun crime has continued to rise in the U.K, just as it did in Washington when they banned handguns.

If they really wish to keep it that way, they'd do well to examine the underlying causes of violence, which as it happens are unrelated to the tools people use to commit the violence. The ban smacks of emotionalism and speaks poorly of their ability to see the bigger picture.

This is the last time i go over this, i feel i have to repeat myself constantly in this forum about Scotlands crime rate.
Sorry but our crime rate in Scotland has fallen by 7%, gun crime is a rarity here unlike the U.S where the majority of crimes are commited with handguns.

Please read carefully

30 December 2008 07:00 AM

Scotland had a reduction of 8.7% over the year with Tayside showing a decrease of 8.2%, with 608 violent crimes recorded by the police in the region, according to a report in the Dundee Evening Telegraph.

Tayside had a rise in the level of homicides from four last year to seven in 2007-2008.

The figures are from the HM Inspectorate of Constabulary for Scotland's recent Scottish Policing Performance Framework annual report.

Fife saw violent crime fall by 13.6%, the second biggest fall in violent offences in Scotland.

Fife Police said that high-visibility patrols and a crackdown on antisocial behaviour helped see the reduction in violent crime.

The Northern Division showed the largest reduction with a drop of 24.5%.

The force at the bottom of the table was the Lothian and Borders with a reduction on only 4.3%.

Strathclyde has the highest rate of violent crime at 3.5 per 1,000 while Dumfries and Galloway had the lowest level with just one per 1,000.

Violent crimes include murder, assault, robbery, cruelty to children, threats and extortion and made up just over one per cent of all offences recorded in Scotland.

Gun Crime Falling As MacAskill Urges New Air Weapon Controls (from The Herald )

We don't have the same crime as the U.S and our crime rate is falling, gun control has worked here but i fear it would not work for the U.S.

Scotland's crime rate drops 7% as Labour warn SNP not to go soft - The Daily Record

What Americans fail to understand is that we are NOT America, plain and simple our culture is different we dont not have the gang violence or the drive by shootings or the mass shootings, our crime is a different crime all together what works here would never work there because your streets/criminals are already armed to the teeth because guns are so widely available. I know why people use guns to protect themselves there but it is not neccessary here.

Gun control would not work in the U.S that is my opinion, too far gone for that.

With us, its a different story. So lets move on shall we.

I rest my case.

Last edited by Scotslass; 01-19-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
...unlike the U.S where the majority of crimes are commited with handguns...
Really? I had no idea it was so bad here.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Really? I had no idea it was so bad here.
Well gun crime is more prevalent there than here, gun crime is a rarity here like i mentioned previously.

If i was a criminal and over in the US i'd pick a gun. Common sense.

I think yall should come experience Scotland because yall obviously have no idea what our culture is like. My fiance is American and has been living here for 3 years. He has never felt safer. I dont know what this problem is that Americans have with our gun control, is it because it actually works here unlike there????

I have no problem with the 2nd ammendment but it just wouldn't work here, im happy with our laws. Our crime has fallen by 7% so we must be doing something right.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 PM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
This is the last time i go over this, i feel i have to repeat myself constantly in this forum about Scotlands crime rate.
Sorry but our crime rate in Scotland has fallen by 7%, gun crime is a rarity here unlike the U.S where the majority of crimes are commited with handguns.

Please read carefully

30 December 2008 07:00 AM

Scotland had a reduction of 8.7% over the year with Tayside showing a decrease of 8.2%, with 608 violent crimes recorded by the police in the region, according to a report in the Dundee Evening Telegraph.

Tayside had a rise in the level of homicides from four last year to seven in 2007-2008.

The figures are from the HM Inspectorate of Constabulary for Scotland's recent Scottish Policing Performance Framework annual report.

Fife saw violent crime fall by 13.6%, the second biggest fall in violent offences in Scotland.

Fife Police said that high-visibility patrols and a crackdown on antisocial behaviour helped see the reduction in violent crime.

The Northern Division showed the largest reduction with a drop of 24.5%.

The force at the bottom of the table was the Lothian and Borders with a reduction on only 4.3%.

Strathclyde has the highest rate of violent crime at 3.5 per 1,000 while Dumfries and Galloway had the lowest level with just one per 1,000.

Violent crimes include murder, assault, robbery, cruelty to children, threats and extortion and made up just over one per cent of all offences recorded in Scotland.

Gun Crime Falling As MacAskill Urges New Air Weapon Controls (from The Herald )

We don't have the same crime as the U.S and our crime rate is falling, gun control has worked here but i fear it would not work for the U.S.

Scotland's crime rate drops 7% as Labour warn SNP not to go soft - The Daily Record

What Americans fail to understand is that we are NOT America, plain and simple our culture is different we dont not have the gang violence or the drive by shootings or the mass shootings, our crime is a different crime all together what works here would never work there because your streets/criminals are already armed to the teeth because guns are so widely available. I know why people use guns to protect themselves there but it is not neccessary here.

Gun control would not work in the U.S that is my opinion, too far gone for that.

With us, its a different story. So lets move on shall we.

I rest my case.
What new gun laws did they pass this past year in Scotland that accounted for the sudden drop in crime? Or was is simply that, "Fife Police said that high-visibility patrols and a crackdown on antisocial behaviour helped see the reduction in violent crime?"

Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
You’re right; it was an emotional response to the Dunblane Massacre and had no other basis. It’s worth noting, however, that Britain never had anywhere near the level of handgun violence of the U.S. despite the fact that handguns were legal there until 1997. Also, despite their bans, handgun crime has continued to rise in the U.K, just as it did in Washington when they banned handguns.

If they really wish to keep it that way, they'd do well to examine the underlying causes of violence, which as it happens are unrelated to the tools people use to commit the violence. The ban smacks of emotionalism and speaks poorly of their ability to see the bigger picture.
this post is smack down flat out truth.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Well gun crime is more prevalent there than here, gun crime is a rarity here like i mentioned previously.

If i was a criminal and over in the US i'd pick a gun. Common sense.

I think yall should come experience Scotland because yall obviously have no idea what our culture is like. My fiance is American and has been living here for 3 years. He has never felt safer. I dont know what this problem is that Americans have with our gun control, is it because it actually works here unlike there????
It's beautiful, but there's a reason that Scotland has some of the best sweaters and whiskey. Awfully cold at times.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
What new gun laws did they pass this past year in Scotland that accounted for the sudden drop in crime? Or was is simply that, "Fife Police said that high-visibility patrols and a crackdown on antisocial behaviour helped see the reduction in violent crime?"
That part was for Fife another state within Scotland, the high visability patrols was for there. They must have had problems with antisocial behavior, lets remember that violent crime is not always murder.

Violent crime (murder) isn't a big problem in these parts. You'll find the majority of our crime comes from Glasgow's suburbs.

Shootings are indeed a rarity here and im glad. Actually most crime is a rarity where i am.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Also, despite their bans, handgun crime has continued to rise in the U.K, just as it did in Washington when they banned handguns.
You can't say that handgun crime went up in D.C. before the ban was overturned. Limiting easy access to handguns in D.C., however, was still going to be trumped with Virginia so near, where almost no restrictions exist. The ban helped but could be circumvented anyway if access was the only concern.

Either way, studies show that crime went down and that a majority of D.C. residents wanted to keep the ban in place.

Has DC's Handgun Ban Prevented Bloodshed?, The Supreme Court Will Examine Ban's Constitutionality, Others Question Its Effectiveness - CBS News

Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It's beautiful, but there's a reason that Scotland has some of the best sweaters and whiskey. Awfully cold at times.
Aye, and you know what they say, "If it's not Scottish...."

Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
That part was for Fife another state within Scotland, the high visability patrols was for there. They must have had problems with antisocial behavior, lets remember that violent crime is not always murder.

Violent crime (murder) isn't a big problem in these parts. You'll find the majority of our crime comes from Glasgow's suburbs.

Shootings are indeed a rarity here and im glad. Actually most crime is a rarity where i am.
I hope this isn't rude, but what part of Scotland are you from? My mother's family were from Perth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies