U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe America's political system is underachieving?
Yeah... 13 81.25%
Naw.... 2 12.50%
Not sure.... 0 0%
Don't care either way... 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,921,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Actually our government can if it so chooses, can act quite quickly. Remember CFC's? By the time evidence was presented showing the destruction of the Ozone layer around earth, it was almost overnight that every fridge, auto and home AC, and freezer were phased out.
And now we're on the verge of being forced to use only fluorescent light bulbs filled with mercury gas, which pose health risks if broken.

To save the environment, we're told....

Quick action does not necessarily equal right action. Governmental policies, particularly those which are undertaken for purportedly noble motives, should always be viewed with skepticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,687,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are you arguing with me or are you trying to make my point for me???

Well they just popped into my head when I pondered the quickly passed legislation, so I guess I was helping establish your point but we can argue about it if you like. (chuckling)

I was recently reminded by a Canadian friend who mentioned the impact of NAFTA on their timber industry and how it is a huge point of contention in Canada.

... and I'm still amazed that they left former FL Gov. Graham to co-draft the Patriot Act, I didn't think they guy could sit still long enough to watch a bag of popcorn finish popping.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,790,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And now we're on the verge of being forced to use only fluorescent light bulbs filled with mercury gas, which pose health risks if broken.

To save the environment, we're told....

Quick action does not necessarily equal right action. Governmental policies, particularly those which are undertaken for purportedly noble motives, should always be viewed with skepticism.
Even this point raises an argument.

Federal Gov. isn't heping its cause nor our own cause by merely funding the untapped wealth of innovation among U.S. constituents in these fields with a sense of urgency to at least give ourselves a cleaner lightbulb, perhaps, in the near-future.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
This issue is complicated. To expect swift and simple answers ignores the complexities involved.

I'm sure the Gov. could borrow a page out of the Highway Act of 1956.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM

311 posts, read 454,253 times
the united states government was built this way purpousely to avoid dictatorship. the bigger the government, the closer we get to dictatorship.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
the united states government was built this way purpousely to avoid dictatorship. the bigger the government, the closer we get to dictatorship.
I'm sure i get the gist to what you're saying, but saying "the bigger the government, the closer we get to dictatorship" is a bit of a misnomer.

Just for clarity's sake.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,456,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Try looking at that this way:
There are 300 millions America, in 50 states. People with different backgrounds, religions, different opinions, conflicting interests. Extremely rich vs extremely poor, rural settlements and huge metropolitan centers.
How do you expect such a diverse society to be able to run, without dictatorship?
Many don't realize that democracy in ancient Greece was applied to small city /states. Applying democracy to hundreds of millions is absolutely a new social experiment.
don't know if you know this or not. the US is NOT a democracy, we are a Republic. Nowhere in our constitution does democracy appear.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 AM

40,170 posts, read 24,392,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I'm sure the Gov. could borrow a page out of the Highway Act of 1956.
The Highway Act of 1956 addressed a national highway system. You are looking for the federal government to address urban transportation issues, and thus spread out a tax burden nationally that primarily benefits urban dwellers. People in suburban or rural settings get a little testy when they are asked to foot the bill for improvements that won't benefit them. Especially when those urban dwellers frequently tout their superiority because they have mass transit systems and are so much more "green". Easy to be "green" when someone else is sharing the costs.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The Highway Act of 1956 addressed a national highway system. You are looking for the federal government to address urban transportation issues, and thus spread out a tax burden nationally that primarily benefits urban dwellers. People in suburban or rural settings get a little testy when they are asked to foot the bill for improvements that won't benefit them. Especially when those urban dwellers frequently tout their superiority because they have mass transit systems and are so much more "green". Easy to be "green" when someone else is sharing the costs.

Yes, i am aware of the "Not in my Backyard!" attitude when it comes to situations such as this, but being near-sighted in policy will ultimately back-fire in the long-term; think of urban sprawl for suburban/rural settlers, eventually affecting their way-of-life.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 AM

40,170 posts, read 24,392,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Yes, i am aware of the "Not in my Backyard!" attitude when it comes to situations such as this, but being near-sighted in policy will ultimately back-fire in the long-term; think of urban sprawl for suburban/rural settlers, eventually affecting their way-of-life.
It's not a "not in my backyard" attitude. It's a question of why someone in Doeville, ND should be expected to contribute to the high-speed transportation between Boston and NYC. See, the people in Doeville have their own set of financial challenges. They want to see money spent differently. When, exactly, do you think urban sprawl is going to have an impact on the people of Doeville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies