U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe America's political system is underachieving?
Yeah... 13 81.25%
Naw.... 2 12.50%
Not sure.... 0 0%
Don't care either way... 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,789,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Our government was designed to act slowly. Something about the tyranny of the majority.
Yeah, i know what you mean, especially during the Katrina fiasco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,686,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Yeah, i know what you mean, especially during the Katrina fiasco.
Come on now, you know they were referring to the legislative process and not a response to a disaster or crisis.

However, as to the question of "our political system underachieving", I'm nearly finished with Andrew Bacevich's book The Limits of Power, and he went into great detail talking about how American culture and politics have have diminished our Democracy and asserts that we have a situation now where we are an imperial Presidency and due to this a diminished political system in general. His case is quite compelling and if you ever get the chance, I would recommend reading a bit on the guy as his insights are pretty critical, especially considering his background.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,789,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Come on now, you know they were referring to the legislative process and not a response to a disaster or crisis.

However, as to the question of "our political system underachieving", I'm nearly finished with Andrew Bacevich's book The Limits of Power, and he went into great detail talking about how American culture and politics have have diminished our Democracy and asserts that we have a situation now where we are an imperial Presidency and due to this a diminished political system in general. His case is quite compelling and if you ever get the chance, I would recommend reading a bit on the guy as his insights are pretty critical, especially considering his background.
To be fair, that "disaster" did involve a legislative process to some degree. The Feds, after the state and local were rendered useless by the storm, were waiting for "just waiting for the right requests, submitted in just the right way". Even after all that, the Feds were still skeptical to send in troops to help.

To stray off-topic a bit, this is where GWB could of sealed his legacy for the better; a golden oppurtunity missed. It only showed what type of leader for what he's worth; unfit to lead the U.S. After stating he read Abe Lincoln books, i'm sure he'd would of taken a different approach, but apparently not.

At last, thanks for the book tip. I'll be sure to check it out!

One for you that's worthy - The Next Government of the United States, Why Our Institutions Fail Us and How to Fix Them by Donald F. Kettl

Take care.......

Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM

40,160 posts, read 24,385,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
To be fair, that "disaster" did involve a legislative process to some degree. The Feds, after the state and local were rendered useless by the storm, were waiting for "just waiting for the right requests, submitted in just the right way". Even after all that, the Feds were still skeptical to send in troops to help.

To stray off-topic a bit, this is where GWB could of sealed his legacy for the better; a golden oppurtunity missed. It only showed what type of leader for what he's worth; unfit to lead the U.S. After stating he read Abe Lincoln books, i'm sure he'd would of taken a different approach, but apparently not.

At last, thanks for the book tip. I'll be sure to check it out!

One for you that's worthy - The Next Government of the United States, Why Our Institutions Fail Us and How to Fix Them by Donald F. Kettl

Take care.......
Splitting hairs, but it did NOT have to do with the legislative process. The requests were being submitted to the Executive branch of government which was charged with responding to the crisis. It was Executive branch rules and regulations that tied up the response, not Congressional rules and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies