Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
That's not true at all and you know it. If my employer tried to pay me or anyone in my profession minimum wage, they'd GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

Do some research and THINK Mr. Elkhunter Moderator. Geez. I can't believe... Never mind.
Try reading it again. I said, "Every employer out there would only pay minimum wage if they could get away with it."

Obviously cherry picking one sentence tells me you didn't get the jest of the post.

There are some positions that must be well paid, but most don't. Of those that don't, an employer would certainly pay as little as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I disagree.

I had people making up to 15.00 plus bonuses.

Then again I had many who were simply NOT worth minimum wage at all.
Then fire them. Why keep them around?

Quote:
You are totally incorrect in your assumption. I had many workers who had decent apps and filled me with a line of crap to get them hired and then find out they could not do anything of value and when they did they screwed it up or had to be babysat by the other employees.
Not an assumption. I was a business owner for several years. If they lied, fire them.

Quote:
If you are paying 10 bucks an hour for a min. wage worker then you are making crazy profits or not smart enough to understand that you cannot pay someone 10.00 per hour to sweep the floors.
Successful business owner. 4 companies in town selling the same thing. I was always the lowest bidder. I paid $10 an hour to start, in 1993.

Quote:
No reason any business should pay min wage? Are you kidding? You have been lucky to have not ran into a group of people who are not worth min wage to the company at all.
Then fire them. Why keep them around?

Quote:
Another thought is people like you are the ones who drive up pricing in a product and cost the end user more money.
Accusations. You are absolutely clueless as to what my business was, what the pricing was, or anything else about my business and yet you know exactly how my costs were? That's rich.

Quote:
Do you think McDonalds can sell a hamburger for 0.69 and pay someone to stand there at the grill and cook it? If that was the case the burger would have to be 2.00 or more to just pay an unskilled worker 10.00 per hour.
First, McDonalds doesn't sell .69 burgers. The McDonalds where I live starts out workers at $9.75 an hour, right now.

Quote:
In my case most typical ( I DID NOT SAY ALL ) workers just want to hang around, will not go the extra mile to help you or anyone else, come to work a 1 min till clock in time and are ready to leave 1/2 before time to go home.
Also, most of the typical min wage workers wont work extra, wont work nights and wont work weekends because they have to get home and get their butts on the couch to watch TV.
Then fire them. Don't keep them around

Quote:
If a college educated person is working for min wage then that education got them nothing.

If a teenage boy can make up to 500 per week profit making corn hole boards then why cant a college educated person find work or create something to make more then 200.00 per week.
So, not knowing anything about a persons work ethics, professional pride, or anything else other then the person has a college education, that person should get 200 a week more then the next guy?

I live in a "Right to work state." That means, if you don't perform, I'll fire you. I don't need a reason. I don't care if you've worked there for 19 years and the guy next to you has been there 3 months, you don't perform, your fired. As a result, the workforce has a little bit different attitude about working and keeping a job. Because they work, they want to stay employed and are loyal, you pay minimum wage (today's rate) and you won't keep anybody for long. If it's a job that requries training, how much do you really loose when a person walks away? How much did it cost to train them?

Hire somebody, pay a fair wage and you'll have a good employee that you don't have walk away so you can spend time training somebody next week.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Just because you don't know of any business that has closed, doesn't mean one hasn't. And besides, businesses don't CLOSE because of having to pay an increased minimum wage, they just hire LESS people.

What the heck? Let's just set the minimum wage at 80 dollars an hour and then everyone would be happy!
Do you not you think if there was such a bad outcome of raising min wage that we would hear about it though?The news would defiantly make note of it. History has shown that raising helps business by putting more money in consumers pockets.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 PM

The best thing to do instead of raising min wage would be to lower prices of food, housing, gas but since all those things are going up not down we need to keep the wages up to match them.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Raising minimum wage would also cause everything else to get more expensive.... the more money you have, the more the business will gouge you... you aren't solving anything... you want something better, mandate lower prices and your minimum wage will feel like a raise otherwise raising the minimum wage will only make you feel more poor... unfortunately when Bill Clinton (and I remember this cause I was really pissed) was president... the Russians were selling cheap oil and so a lot of gas stations were selling gasoline that was 10-20 cents cheaper... Bill Clinton signed legislation MANDATING minimum prices on gas... that's right, don't matter how much you buy your gas wholesale, there will be a minimum price to gouge the consumer... it was unfreakingbelievable...

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
The best thing to do instead of raising min wage would be to lower prices of food, housing, gas but since all those things are going up not down we need to keep the wages up to match them.
We need to actually be leading those increases with the minimum wage. In order for the eono0my to grow we need house pries above the peak of the last bubble but they need to be sustainable at those pries so we need the income to pay for them. Hence a higher minimum wage.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
We need to actually be leading those increases with the minimum wage. In order for the eono0my to grow we need house pries above the peak of the last bubble but they need to be sustainable at those pries so we need the income to pay for them. Hence a higher minimum wage.
Would not lower prices do that though since everything cost less it would put money in peoples pockets anyway?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
So can anyone tell me why the price of living went up for the past 40 years and the minimum wage didn't(from an inflation standpoint) and how that is a good thing?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Would not lower prices do that though since everything cost less it would put money in peoples pockets anyway?
lower pries = deflation.

"Economists generally believe that deflation is a problem in a modern economy because of the danger of a deflationary spiral (explained below).[3] Deflation is correlated with depressions – including the Great Depression, as banks defaulted on depositors. Additionally, deflation may cause the economy to enter a liquidity trap. However, historically not all episodes of deflation correspond with periods of poor economic growth." from here Deflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Deflation is very hard on an economy. We need M3 to be expanding in order to get economic growth. It is currently contracting. What is bringing M3 down is the collapsing housing bubble. If you want higher house prices then you need more income and more demand for houses. Upping the minimum wage is the only way I see to be able to get all of those things at the same time. Inflating away the debt is what I’m talking about, using the minimum wage law as the lever to move the world with.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Minimum wage right now is criminally low when you factor in the costs people are forced to spend in order to live a decent life. A gallon of gas in most cities is nearly 4$ and gas is essential to Americans. its easily possible to spend 25% of a weeks worth of MW pay on gas alone just to get to and from work. Add in food and other expenses and people who are forced to work MW are lowered to the level of a glorified slave.

Minimum wage itself is not a problem though, its a good concept. The real problem with it is scaling. Minimum wage has not scaled correctly at all, it might be intentional for all we know so that business owners can make more personal money at the workers expense.

Take a look at how MW has scaled from 1950-

In 1950 a gallon of gasoline cost 18 cents per gallon on average, and minimum wage paid .75 cents a hour. Using that as a baseline, 1 hours worth of work would buy 4 gallons of Gasoline for 72 cents.

Other comparion - A loaf of bread. Other common Food communities have scaled the same as bread, and food in general has scaled far worse than Gasoline has.
1950 - 12 cents per loaf.
2011 - $2.78

1 Hours worth of Mw in 1950 could buy 6 loafs of bread with some change left over. Today's MW can only buy 2 loafs of bread.

Today, 7.25 will buy you two gallons of gas at the most. All other commodities have scaled nearly the same.

So the bottomline is that $7.25 a hour is worth half of much today as .75 cents was worth in 1950. In other words Minimum wage is criminal in that it pretends to pay a fair wage but in reality it is getting away with paying workers half of what they really should receive. MW should scale with the economy, its not.

If the government wanted to be truely fair with Minimum wage, it would raise it to $14.50 a hour.

Last edited by jonaos; 04-09-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies