Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So can anyone tell me why the price of living went up for the past 40 years and the minimum wage didn't(from an inflation standpoint) and how that is a good thing?
The short answer is this to prevent teenage pregnancy and to get a lower population growth rate. The powers that be don't want the bottom 80% or 90% breading so that their kids will inherit the world. This may be a bit too tin hat(ty) for your taste but it the truth as far as I can tell, it is what is behind what is being publicly discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
If the government wanted to be truely fair with Minimum wage, it would raise it to $14.50 a hour.
I'm calling for a minimum wage of $30/hr. Not for the reasons that you are talking about but for the purpose of fixing the macroeconomic picture. We need inflation and we need it now. Houses are bringing M3 down. We need them to bring M3 up and the only way to get that sustainably is with higher wages. And with all the outsourcing the only way to get that is with the minimum wage law.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I'm calling for a minimum wage of $30/hr. Not for the reasons that you are talking about but for the purpose of fixing the macroeconomic picture. We need inflation and we need it now. Houses are bringing M3 down. We need them to bring M3 up and the only way to get that sustainably is with higher wages. And with all the outsourcing the only way to get that is with the minimum wage law.

Slapping heavier Tariff's on goods imported into this country would do more to stem outsourcing than anything else would do. Infact most of our recent President's have gone out of their way to lower Tariffs or try to remove them altogether [guess big business is in the Presidents pocket book].

Also, minimum wage not scaling is just helping to create a Poor-Rich divide, with a shrinking middle class in this country. Not fixing that is what is going to lead this country into becoming third world, which minimum wage was intended to prevent [but isnt since its not scaling, thus MW = dirt poor poverty].

Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Slapping heavier Tariff's on goods imported into this country would do more to stem outsourcing than anything else would do. Infact most of our recent President's have gone out of their way to lower Tariffs or try to remove them altogether [guess big business is in the Presidents pocket book].
I like the more passive and less obviously protectionistic mandatory savings plan. Keep upping the savings rate until trade balances. With rates low like they are it won’t be popular but it is very effective. Countries with high savings rates buy debt in countries with low savings rates. This tends to drive exports. Then we print enough money and give it to everyone to keep the economy growing.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is the big deal? The average hourly wage in B.C. in February 2011 was $23.16/hr and B.C.’s average hourly youth wage is $13.86 per hour. Only about 2% of employers paid minimum ($8.00) at the moment, but it will increase to $8.75 may 1st, then to $9.50 November 1st and on May 1st 2012 it will be $10.25... Since most employers already pay above minimum it hasn't hurt business and has the added benefit of increasing tax income for the government.
Thank you for showing just another example how min wage increase does not not harm small business. I am sure someone will come up with another lame excuse with no facts to try and prove otherwise.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 AM

442 posts, read 552,799 times
Yes, it should be increased.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 AM

442 posts, read 552,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Thank you for showing just another example how min wage increase does not not harm small business. I am sure someone will come up with another lame excuse with no facts to try and prove otherwise.

Agreed!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Minimum wage increase hurts the business owner. People who work for minimun wage are students, people who are retired. You should not be depending on a minimum wage job to support a family. So what difference does it make for the student if he is making 5 or 7 dollors an hour???

So what difference does it make for the student if he is making 5 or 7 dollors an hour???[/quote]

It makes about $2.00 per hour difference and changes the way they spell dollars.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Minimum wage jobs should be just a stepping stone to better paying jobs.

In the early 90's I worked three minimum jobs to make ends meet.

It taught me many things.

I knew I would never have much working for others.

So, I changed my direction.

I am very thankful to my small jobs.

I knew I did not want to be there.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Minimum wage jobs should be just a stepping stone to better paying jobs.
Upping the minimum wage would in the short term change this a bit but in the long term it shouldn’t
Quote:

In the early 90's I worked three minimum jobs to make ends meet.
Been there
Quote:

It taught me many things.

I knew I would never have much working for others.
This is true but the macro picture has some problems with it. Front Page This article has some good stuff on the macro picture. We need higher wages to pay for the houses we bought on foreign credit. With macro deflation (the dropping prices of houses) we are going to be looking at dropping wages not increasing wages. This needs to be turned around before we can have strong economic growth.
Quote:

So, I changed my direction.

I am very thankful to my small jobs.

I knew I did not want to be there.
If we up the minimum wage as far as I want to it will be some time before what you just said is true again bit it will be true again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies