Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,248,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
How many of you think you can raise a family on 7.25 an hour. What is the point of this conversation!!?? We are talking about high school kids with part time jobs!! If you are using a minimum wage job to raise a family you have made some wrong turns in your life for sure!!
Exactly. And most teenagers in the work force will not accept minimum wage jobs either. Or if they start at minimum wage they get a raise within a month or two. But, those teens paychecks are strictly for extras, to buy their movie tickets, or pay for gas in the car their parents bought them. It is not to support a family. I forget what the statistic it, like 3% of Americans actually are making minimum wage at any given point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,248,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, there are a whole lot of 'em here in my neck of the woods, millie.
I happen to be married to a guy who makes a zillion more dollars per year than I do. But there are women working at that preschool making $7.50 an hour, and yes, they have kids. Their husbands make maybe 9 or 10 dollars an hour working at the chemical plant just down the road from the preschool.
The high school kids here make $6.67 an hour cashiering at the local Piggly Wiggly.
If they are working at the local Piggly Wiggly they are doing so to pay for extras. It is almost an American passage to start at minimum wage at McDonald's to learn the ropes. To learn how to be accountable, to learn to be on time, to learn people skills and responsibility etc etc. The liberals for some reason get hung up on this issue, could it be to get the votes of the working poor? The poor are tricked into thinking that the democrats are working for them. . .

Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 AM

986 posts, read 2,803,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, there are a whole lot of 'em here in my neck of the woods, millie.
I happen to be married to a guy who makes a zillion more dollars per year than I do. But there are women working at that preschool making $7.50 an hour, and yes, they have kids. Their husbands make maybe 9 or 10 dollars an hour working at the chemical plant just down the road from the preschool.
The high school kids here make $6.67 an hour cashiering at the local Piggly Wiggly.
But Cil where should it stop how high should min. wage be 15 20 dollors an hour??

Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
If they are working at the local Piggly Wiggly they are doing so to pay for extras. It is almost an American passage to start at minimum wage at McDonald's to learn the ropes. To learn how to be accountable, to learn to be on time, to learn people skills and responsibility etc etc. The liberals for some reason get hung up on this issue, could it be to get the votes of the working poor? The poor are tricked into thinking that the democrats are working for them. . .
Did you read my post?
My point is that these kids' parents are working for just a couple dollars more an hour than their teenagers.
Somebody is getting rich, but it sure is not these people.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
But Cil where should it stop how high should min. wage be 15 20 dollors an hour??
I dunno. I don't have the answers, I'm just complaining!
Myself, I'm used to never making that much money, although when men started entering early childhood education (back in Colorado), it was funny to see our salaries go up.
I think what I am getting at is the unfortunate truth that "the poor are always with us." Some climb out, but not all.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
Default Does anyone here know

what the average wage of the working poor is, or poor single mothers? If it's anywhere close to the minimum wage then most will be helped out by a higher minimum. It's not just people making the minimum we're talking about, it's everyone whose wages would be raised by an increase.

Also, I don't agree with the claim that "people making low wages are just doing so because of their poor choices." That's easy to say when you grow up with a lot of opportunities for advancement, when you have a good education and the skills you need for a higher-paying job. It's easier when your parents have the money to help you get into college. But in the unskilled labor market, supply is generally greater than demand, so most unskilled jobs don't pay **** and are often part-time. Not everyone can just "terminate their contract" and get a better job if there's no other better-paying jobs available for them to take with the skills they have.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 AM

986 posts, read 2,803,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
what the average wage of the working poor is, or poor single mothers? If it's anywhere close to the minimum wage then most will be helped out by a higher minimum. It's not just people making the minimum we're talking about, it's everyone whose wages would be raised by an increase.

Also, I don't agree with the claim that "people making low wages are just doing so because of their poor choices." That's easy to say when you grow up with a lot of opportunities for advancement, when you have a good education and the skills you need for a higher-paying job. It's easier when your parents have the money to help you get into college. But in the unskilled labor market, supply is generally greater than demand, so most unskilled jobs don't pay **** and are often part-time. Not everyone can just "terminate their contract" and get a better job if there's no other better-paying jobs available for them to take with the skills they have.
My son went to trade school and is now a mechanic in Tucson and he makes way above minimun wage. There is alot of opportunities out there that do not include college. But you have to make the right choices!! Stay in school!!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
Quote:
But in the unskilled labor market, supply is generally greater than demand, so most unskilled jobs don't pay **** and are often part-time. Not everyone can just "terminate their contract" and get a better job if there's no other better-paying jobs available for them to take with the skills they have.

This brings up another question in my mind. Why should unskilled workers who have not attained any new skills or abilities bring on greater expense for a private employer? If they are the same person walking in the door today as they were yesterday, how would an employer be able to justify the raise that was forced by the government? They wouldn't. Therefore, it would only make business sense to them to either cut the person's hours, or demand that they accomplish a lot more volume of work per day, and cut someone else from their payroll.

Once again, I don't think the FEDERAL govt. should be involved. But then again, the US govt thinks their nose belongs everywhere in the private market.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,852 times
Here's what I don't understand.

Since when are American businesses supposed to be legally/ethically responsible for supporting America's unskilled workers? All the explanations I see have this flawed assumption behind them, that someone's employer is somehow responsible for maintaining a certain standard of living for the employee. I guess this comes from the crude understanding that most Americans have about the economy and business.

Raising the minimum wage will simply result in fewer minimum wage jobs.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,673,465 times
Quote:

The opportunities for advancement INCLUDE getting a good education, which is available to everyone, including college. All it takes is some initiative and self-respect, enough to prevent one from being satisfied with using the government to extort money from others to pay for one's own responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies