Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 06:17 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,620,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Housing supply controls should be abolished.

All government price controls should be abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,906,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good for him. We should honor those who have the energy and are willing to take a risk starting a company. It's very hard work and most small businesses fail. That's why most people choose to not even try.
We should honor those that make a killing every year while paying their employee minimum wage? Yes he took a risk starting a business but that doesn't mean he has to pay his workers peanuts (the ones usually doing the grunt work so they can make all that cash). Pay your workers a bit more and I would almost guarantee they will be better and happier workers. But then again that might mean only owning two hot cars instead of three or only one vacation house instead of two. I'm in the midst of starting up my own business and my employees will be compensated well. I'd rather have them happy as they are less likely to take liberties all around while working. I'm not a greedy bastard.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,888,646 times
R.J. "Pay your workers a bit more and I would almost guarantee they will be better "

Why would anyone pay one more who has been withholding their best effort? If they were giving their best, better would not be possible.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,620,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
We should honor those that make a killing every year while paying their employee minimum wage? Yes he took a risk starting a business but that doesn't mean he has to pay his workers peanuts (the ones usually doing the grunt work so they can make all that cash). Pay your workers a bit more and I would almost guarantee they will be better and happier workers. But then again that might mean only owning two hot cars instead of three or only one vacation house instead of two. I'm in the midst of starting up my own business and my employees will be compensated well. I'd rather have them happy as they are less likely to take liberties all around while working. I'm not a greedy bastard.

If those workers were worth more than minimum wage, they would get paid more than minimum wage.

Businessmen who underpay workers will be soon out of business. That's the beauty of a free market.

Whether or not you are a greedy bastard has nothing to do with the balance between employers and workers. Pay you employees what they are worth or you go out of business. It's really that simple.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:14 PM

2,996 posts, read 2,251,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If those workers were worth more than minimum wage, they would get paid more than minimum wage.

Businessmen who underpay workers will be soon out of business. That's the beauty of a free market.

Whether or not you are a greedy bastard has nothing to do with the balance between employers and workers. Pay you employees what they are worth or you go out of business. It's really that simple.

Where do you get the notion that they will go out of business? Plenty of business do not pay well but are doing well. Wall Mart is doing fine. Human worth is more important then businesses making extra money. If not then we get what happens in other countries people revolting and violence. Social Darwinism is just an excuse for the greedy to have more.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,888,646 times
Thank God Wal Mart is doing fine, as 1.2 million Americans depend on that fact for their livlihoods. 70,000 promoted annually, 75% w/o degrees. What other employer could ever do that?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,871,832 times
I've heard many old right-wing talking points and assertions, in this thread that been used for decades, against the minimum wage. They are:
the minimum wage hurts small businesses
the minimum wage reduces teen employment
the minimum wage increases unemployment
The minimum wage causes prices to rise

Lots of assertions. The minimum wage has been around for a long time. Where is the research backing up these assertions?

There are studies. This is one.
Quote:
Increasing the minimum wage does not lead to the short- or long-term loss of low-paying jobs, according to a new study co-authored by University of California, Berkeley, economics professor Michael Reich and published in the November issue of the journal The Review of Economics and Statistics. link

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,576,217 times
I think the minimum wage should be raised to $12 an hour. Businesses who can't afford to pay this should go bankrupt. If the only way you can afford to be in business is to pay your employees less than a living wage, then you should lose out to your competitors who can manage to make a profit without blighting the community by creating wage slaves who have to subsist on public assistance to secure necessities.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,906,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think the minimum wage should be raised to $12 an hour. Businesses who can't afford to pay this should go bankrupt. If the only way you can afford to be in business is to pay your employees less than a living wage, then you should lose out to your competitors who can manage to make a profit without blighting the community by creating wage slaves who have to subsist on public assistance to secure necessities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Where do you get the notion that they will go out of business? Plenty of business do not pay well but are doing well. Wall Mart is doing fine. Human worth is more important then businesses making extra money. If not then we get what happens in other countries people revolting and violence. Social Darwinism is just an excuse for the greedy to have more.
Amen to both of these responses. It's usually the businesses that make millions that pay minimum wage. Look at fast food and hotels as two examples. You wouldn't believe how much hotel owners pull in. I'm sorry but nobody's work is worth $7 a hour. If you have a worker who isn't worth paying a higher wage then fire them and bring in somebody who will deliver. These are the people working their butts off so these business owners can live a life of luxury while the workers are having struggles paying their bills. They also usually don't have health insurance for them or their kids. What a struggle just to get by. I don't know how those type of owners can sleep at night. Greed takes over and it's very selfish.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM

2,996 posts, read 2,251,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Thank God Wal Mart is doing fine, as 1.2 million Americans depend on that fact for their livlihoods. 70,000 promoted annually, 75% w/o degrees. What other employer could ever do that?
Sure if you consider that many of the people they pay are living in poverty and many have to rely on food stamps to survive. Just because they are gettng paid does not mean they are being heped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies