U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,350,034 times

Advertisements

It's a harsh winter all over the country. It's especially harsh for Alaskans living in the far reaches of Alaska. Read the whole article. It's heartbreaking. Click on the link at the end, scroll to the bottom and help if you can.
A Cry for Help from Rural Alaska ~ Where Is Sarah Palin? « Sarah Palin Truth Squad

Quote:
It is easy when we sit hundreds or thousands of miles away, to feel detached from the troubles of a small Alaskan village. If we were able to imagine ourselves living in such an isolated rural setting with these challenges, and were to imagine that we had five children whom we loved, and whose care rested upon us, what would we do? And if we were able to feel the desperation of these parents when the choice came to decide whether to keep their children warm or keep them fed, knowing that they couldn’t do both, and that there was no end in sight, what would we do?
[MOD CUT/copyright]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Please post just 2 lines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
It's a harsh winter all over the country. It's especially harsh for Alaskans living in the far reaches of Alaska. Read the whole article. It's heartbreaking. Click on the link at the end, scroll to the bottom and help if you can.
A Cry for Help from Rural Alaska ~ Where Is Sarah Palin? « Sarah Palin Truth Squad

[MOD CUT/copyright]
I feel for these people, however, didn't they receive the $1200 energy check plus the PFD last year? I realize prices in the bush areas are extemely out of hand. I also want to know why the Native Corporations haven't stepped forward.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 01-20-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,794,531 times
So, is this a sincere, ongoing concern for rural Alaska for you or is it just another way to slam Palin?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,595,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
So, is this a sincere, ongoing concern for rural Alaska for you or is it just another way to slam Palin?
Just another way to slam Palin

Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'm one of those bleeding heart Independents who is sending a check to the village to help those that need it. It's my understanding, the cost of living in those villages is considerably higher than other areas of Alaska. A loaf of bread is $8.00. This year the rivers froze early which has resulted in less fuel being availble unless it's flown in and the cost of doing that is passed on the the consumer. $1200.00? What's that, $100.00 a month? What are your monthly grocery bills, utility bills, etc. per month per person? Multiply that by the increased rates the villagers pay.

Yes, I believe that in a state which boasts a tax surplus year after year, this is disgraceful. Should Palin and her administration be doing somethind about it. Absolutely. Am I a fan of Palin's, a resounding NO!

I'm not familiar with the Native Corporations so don't know what they are doing to help. I doubt they can lower the cost of food or fuel. That's not something under their control.

I agree with the author and am going to help.

Quote:
So, if our governor can’t seem to get her eyes off the mirror, and her head out of 2012, and if the State of Alaska doesn’t consider this an “emergency”, then what is to be done?
The answer lies, where many answers lie, with us.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,977,934 times
Quote:
If people are suffering does it matter?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post

I'm not familiar with the Native Corporations so don't know what they are doing to help. I doubt they can lower the cost of food or fuel. That's not something under their control.
This is where I grew up and belong to one of those native corporations. I know all about it--and more. They get double in the villages what the average shareholder gets; when we get $50k, they get 100...

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 01-20-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
This is where I grew up and belong to one of those native corporations. I know all about it--and more. They get double in the villages what the average shareholder gets; when we get $50k, they get 100...
So why are the people in the villages the poorest in Alaska? Why are they cold and hungry? If it's anything like the reservations in the -48, it's because not all are equal. There is a reservation in California where each member gets $10,000/mo yet there are others who get nothing. I lived and worked on the Navajo Nation for almost a year and they get nothing. They don't even own the resources in the ground on their reservation.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM

The reservations (as opposed to the Alaska villages--there's only one reservation in Alaska) are horrendous. It's a disgrace to our country how the lower 48 NAs are treated. Now there's a cause.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,880,316 times
probably the latter. maybe the bi*ch stepped into an open manhole?
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies