Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Have to love the class from everyone on here and those chanting hey hey goodbye at the inauguration. We supported Obama in my house but watching the people there and some people on here makes me sick.

I may not have agreed with President Bush on some issues but he did his best at this job. Is it his fault the American people elected him twice? I wish him well in his retirement, he always seemed like the kind of guy you could talk sports with or just shoot the bull.
Exactly--but it smacks of the sense of entitlement our country feels. It's really unbelievable and so disrespectful of the office of President. I'm embarassed to be an American today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,541,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As someone who was on a lower floor when Tower 1 was hit, thanks for ignoring the warnings and doing nothing. This caused me to flee for my life that day. I also lost my best friend who worked on an upper floor. Thanks again. I can understand why the cities most impacted, NYC and DC did not overwhelmingly vote for you. And to think I voted for you in 2000. Never again.
I'm sorry for your tragedy but your post and you opinion is wrong. Bush inherited the Clinton legacy and Clinton cut down on security...Have you ever heard how Al Quada explained how long it took for them to get to 9/11...Years!!!

The terrorist had to come over here (under Clinton), learned how to fly huge planes (under Clinton), etc....

Most of the planning was under Clinton as president!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

38,604 posts, read 26,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Conveniently forgetting of course, that most presidents don't epically fail and ALLOW an attack to happen. Bush and company dropped the ball on this one -- and they did nothing to prevent it. Bush etc are directly to blame for 9/11 and deserve no kudos after the fact for "no further terrorist attacks on US soil..."

Bye bye Bush...good riddance and don't let the door smack you in the butt on the way out.

I may be out of the loop on this one. Could you provide a link to the information you are using to back up your assertion, "they had all the information ahead of time pointing toward the fact that this was going to happen". I do have a question though. Since, as you assert, Clinton had all the information before GWB took office, Why didn't he act on that information to prevent the attacks from taking place? Why didn't he do something unpopular to save thousands of American lives on 9/11 like listen to phone calls or put them in prison. No, he wouldn't do that. That would require initiative and courage. GWB has both of those qualities and used them to safeguard our freedom and security. He didn't turn a blind eye like his predecessor did. Now our new president will either follow GWBs policies and pay the political price for doing the right thing, or he will do something politically correct and hope for the best.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM

312 posts, read 505,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Yep, the Bush haters have come out!! No surprise.

For the record, that there were several terrorist attacks during the Clinton years:

1993 - The first World Trade Center bombing
1995 - Attempted crashing of plane on White House
1995 - Oklahoma City bombing
1996 - Khobar Towers bombing - Saudi Arabia
1998 - U.S. Embassy bombings Kenya/Tanzania
2000 - USS Cole Bombing - Yemen

I hope we will have something to thank Obama for at the end of his Presidency.
You forgot some several terror attacks in new york city (I think it was the assasination of some jewish politician in nyc and a shooting of a rabbi or a group of rabbis on the Brooklyn Bridge) oh but that was terror against jews, so never mind who cares

Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM

956 posts, read 1,230,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Exactly--but it smacks of the sense of entitlement our country feels. It's really unbelievable and so disrespectful of the office of President. I'm embarassed to be an American today.
Regarding entitlement, the irony is that only today Mr. Obama asked Americans to step up to the plate and start putting their shoulders to the grindstone rather than sit back and do nothing.

But I'm still very proud to be an American today because we were able to see something extraordinary happen ... the smooth transition of power with dignity and grace.

Fortunately some of those on this forum are not representative of the vast majority of this country who want to look ahead, not back, and want to be respectful of both our former President as well as this President.

For some reason the scum can from time to time rise to the top, but it doesn't last because must of us just don't want to join in the misery. But those who are miserable and hateful will always attract their own. Unfortunately many of them gather here.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,363,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
thank you, mr. President | op-ed contributors | jerusalem post

[color="red"]here is a politically incorrect assessment: Today president george w. Bush will hand over to his successor a middle eastern foreign policy outlook far brighter than the one he inherited from bill clinton. The 44th us president will have in the gulf area and beyond what no. 43 so desperately missed: Freedom of action to react to upcoming crises.

i just took out a few pieces of a long article...click on the link to read the whole article.

in other words, permanent military bases in a restive region.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Thank you Mr. Bush!

Thank you for this recession.
Thank you for record high unemployment.
Thank you for no raise in the past two years, and 8 years of wage suppression.
Thank you for not paying attention to that memo, "terrorists going to attack"
Thank you for dividing our country further
Thank you for lying to us to start a personal war
Thank you for bankrupting the U.S.
Thank you for embarassing us around the world and ruining our reputation
Thank you for allowing torture

Good riddance to this bastard!
Thank you for the elimination of the middle class
Thank you for ensuring that our great great grandchildren will still be paying off your debt
Thank you for your utter incompetency, else we would have probably invaded 5 ME countries
Thank you for the tax cuts for the ultra rich, we're still waiting for the trickle down effect. Oh wait, it has, a depression.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM

88 posts, read 178,710 times
Quote by :Asheville Native
"Thank you for the elimination of the middle class
Thank you for ensuring that our great great grandchildren will still be paying off your debt
Thank you for your utter incompetency, else we would have probably invaded 5 ME countries
Thank you for the tax cuts for the ultra rich, we're still waiting for the trickle down effect. Oh wait, it has, a depression"

elimination of the middle class?? last time i checked i was still here... and doing fine.

great grandchildren paying off his debt? last time i checked there's always been a huge debt.... so can't blame all that on GW.

tax cuts for the ultra rich? have you added up your income for the past eight years? where do you exactly fall here? Most of us are making way more $$$$ than we did 8 years ago!

Gee our economy has nothing to do with irresponsible citizens spending way more $$$ than they make... buying huge homes they can't afford...buying the latest greatest car every year.... NOOOO that has nothing to do with it right? Just play the blame game and expect the government to pick up the tab. Reminds me of kindergarten....

one last thing.... why don't you liberals add a big thank you to all those military guys/gals that have been giving you your right to gripe & moan while you sit in ur comfy little glass houses.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,950,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And WHAT is pointing at hate that isn't there but delusion?
If you can't see and acknowledge the hate that's oozing from the pores of liberals, you're the delusional one. Either that, or integrity-impaired.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,494,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I thank President Bush for his service to our country. He is an honorable man, a classy guy, who always had the best interest of the country at heart and served us during an exceedingly dangerous and difficult time in our history.

That he made mistakes is known. That he was most assuredly elected twice is a fact despite those who will never be able to accept that.

History will tell a different story if the liberals haven't taken over the earth in 40 years and rewritten the truth. And we will also hear about a time in the early 21st century when the word spin began to mean something far beyond the happy whirl of a child.

Finally President Bush took his leave of his service with great dignity making every effort to create a smooth transition of power in a time when above all we should be working together rather than with divisive hatred and anger.
You're kidding, I hope.
Maybe the last paragraph is true, but why did he not act that way for even most of his presidency? He did not.
Case in point: He "beat" Kerry by less than 2.5 or 2% points and Kerry got the 2nd most votes of any candidate in history at that time, yet he said that he got political capital and he wants to spend it? WTF!
That's like winning a hockey game by 1 goal in a shootout and saying "We whupped the other teams ass!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies