U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,587,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Myth? (About Bush not being elected fairly, twice)

These ultimately resulted in a December 12 7-2 United States Supreme Court decision stating that the Florida Supreme Court's plan for recounting ballots was unconstitutional, as well as a 5-4 decision that ended the Florida recounts and allowed Florida to certify its vote. The vote was certified according to Florida state election law by Katherine Harris, the Republican Secretary of State who had been the Florida co-chair of Bush's campaign.[36] Because Bush's younger brother, Jeb Bush, was the governor of Florida, there were allegations that Harris and Jeb Bush had manipulated the election to favor the governor's brother.

According to the claims of the 2002 book Into the Buzzsaw: Leading Journalists Expose The Myth of a Free Press (Kristina Borjesson) which tells the stories of 15 investigative journalists, 58,000 names had been taken off the voters list by governor Jeb Bush and Secretary Harris. They explained this by saying that these were people with criminal records and they were not entitled to their right to vote. According to the journalist Greg Palast this only applied to a small minority of these people. Of these people who were taken away their right to vote in November 2000, always according to the claim of Palast, 54% of them were Black and many were White or Hispanic Democrat supporters.[37][38]
From 2000 election wiki

From 2004 election wiki
I don't need "wiki" to know what happened. Regarding the 2000 election, Bush won the original vote and every recount (including hand recounts).
The Gore camp tried to change the rules after an election by having the certification deadline extended and by the endless hand recounts.

As for 2004, again, Bush won the original count in Ohio. And the recounts. Kerry would have had to win over 60% of the recounts to win that state and that was very unlikely.

If there was any legitimate and credible "stealing of votes" that certainly would have been brought up by lawsuits and other means.
That also applies to those who "had their votes taken away." How many citizens filed lawsuits about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM

537 posts, read 564,968 times
Na na na na...na na na na...hey..hey..hey...trailer trash.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 PM

537 posts, read 564,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been in and around the military for over 30 years.

Bush is not wildly popular among the military.

He's popular among a vocal group of military members and people have been afraid, yes afraid, to speak out against him (judicial punishment, you know). Neocons and social conservatives love him and there are a lot of them in the military; but certainly not enough to make Bush VERY popular.

You should have seen them at the DFAC tonight watching the inaguration.
That was not a group of people who love(d) Bush. There was a lot of cheering for President Obama, though.

Speak for yourself, fine. But please don't speak for all the military.

Really, I'd be curious to know your affiliation with a sample of so many in the military. Sounds like a poll taker here.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM

26,780 posts, read 19,074,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Regarding the 2000 election, Bush won the original vote and every recount (including hand recounts).
yep, every single one.

but when has cold, hard reality been enough to pry this treasured delusion from the BDS-afflicted?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM

15,032 posts, read 31,409,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Na na na na...na na na na...hey..hey..hey...trailer trash.
Bush's ranch is a trailer? Damn, maybe I need to move up to one of those.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been in and around the military for over 30 years.

Bush is not wildly popular among the military.

He's popular among a vocal group of military members and people have been afraid, yes afraid, to speak out against him (judicial punishment, you know). Neocons and social conservatives love him and there are a lot of them in the military; but certainly not enough to make Bush VERY popular.

You should have seen them at the DFAC tonight watching the inaguration.
That was not a group of people who love(d) Bush. There was a lot of cheering for President Obama, though.

Speak for yourself, fine. But please don't speak for all the military.

At least he has been in the military. He was just answering another poster who thought they had a right to speak for the entire military. That is the loss of freedom I am talking about. I have never seen so many people who think a person should NOT have a right to their own opinion. I am afraid you will all soon see what I have already seen. Freedom is a thing of the past for a conservative person.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,468,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
At least he has been in the military. He was just answering another poster who thought they had a right to speak for the entire military. That is the loss of freedom I am talking about. I have never seen so many people who think a person should have a right to their own opinion. I am afraid you will all soon see what I have already seen. Freedom is a thing of the past for a conservative person.
When was the last conservative president? bush wasn't conservative.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
When was the last conservative president? bush wasn't conservative.
Whether a president is conservative or not has nothing to do with losing ones right to express oneself. Communism is what I am talking about. Bush was not communist. I am not so sure about the one we have now. That remains to be seen. I am only looking at his background and the way he was brought up. I fear for America.

Now for all those who think he is a help for the stock market. LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,663,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Maybe in your sick sorry world but in reality President Bush is VERY popular among the military. Myself who just got out less than a year ago supports him as do a number of my friends and family.

Your comments are sad and very childish. One would hope you would have some class but as your posts indicate little or no chance of that happening.
He is not popular with anyone including his wife. How can you say that. Military familes want to put a weapon in his hand and send him over to that hell hole God forsaken place and fight some one elses fight. You are a discrace to the miliitary if you feel that way. How dare you. You insulted me as well as anyone who has served.

You are only one of 9 people left on the face of the earth who like that usleless waste of human flesh. Dont brag about it.

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-20-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

1,435 posts, read 4,357,287 times
I can't stand Bush, but I think it was rude and classless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or