Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Did I mention the word "bible" anywhere in my post? You are obviously looking for way to be insulted, even if you have to manufacture them yourself.

It was your response to another persons post that I was reffering too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
I am a Firearm owner and
I hate what bammy stands for.
Why do I have them ? When the bad guys come for your family [wife, son daughter] just tell them the new god bammy said it is not the right thing to do. While they ra pe and kill your family God Forbid.
Touch my family and you learn the meaning of FEAR

Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
I am a Firearm owner and
I hate what bammy stands for.
Why do I have them ? When the bad guys come for your family [wife, son daughter] just tell them the new god bammy said it is not the right thing to do. While they ra pe and kill your family God Forbid.
Touch my family and you learn the meaning of FEAR
Fortunately East Islip is not a bad area so hopefully your gun collects a lot of dust :-)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Fortunately East Islip is not a bad area so hopefully your gun collects a lot of dust :-)
Form your mouth to what ever god you pray to ears

Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
Quote:
Is America the only country with such an obsession about guns or owning them? Over in the "Great Debates" section every other thread is about guns and gun control.

My other question would be to gun owners, why do you own them and why do you like them so much? Just so you know I am not anti or pro gun ownership, just curious.
I will try to stay on topic here and answer your question from my perspective.

I don't think it is so much an obsession with guns. I think it is more about an obsession of freedoms. I know a number of law abiding gun owners who tell me they have them for three reasons. They hunt with them, they target shoot with them and they have them for personal protection because they know law enforcement is not very good at preventing things such as home invasions. To phrase it differently, a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Is America the only country with such an obsession about guns or owning them? Over in the "Great Debates" section every other thread is about guns and gun control.

My other question would be to gun owners, why do you own them and why do you like them so much? Just so you know I am not anti or pro gun ownership, just curious.
I own several guns but I'm far from a gun nut. I own one for hunting, one for varmits and ferrell animals since we don't have a humane society, and one for nothing other than killing other human beings. I hope I never have to fire it as in its intended use but better a gun in hand than a cop on the phone. Being I live in a very rural area, by the time the cops showed up my body would be cold and stiff.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I own several service style rifles, An M1A, LR, Ak and RPK, yet my first choice in my safe for a "tactical" rifle is my 1894 Marlin "Cowboy" in .45 Colt. Sure the AR's and AK's are just dandy but my Marlin has served with distinction in several encounters with vicious feral dogs. Thus I find it confusing that so many non-firearms owners tend to attribute almost magical powers of destruction and mayhem to military style rifles as opposed to other designs. Is it the way they look? Their mode of operation? I also find it curious how firearms owners are labeled. Regardless for the reason one has for owning a gun ther seems to be a stigma attached as being "obsessed" "paranoid" "nutty" and a plethora of other derogatory terms usually utilized to paint a picture of fire arms owners as mentally unbalanced in some way. All I can say is that guns are a way of life for a LOT of folks. Some of us like to make a science out of shooting as well. hand loading ammunition and shooting requires a working knowledge of chemistry, physics, mathematics and even meteorology. It IS a science. And it's fun. My son has improved in his school work in the areas mentioed above due to our interest in shooting. It's not ALL about pulling the trigger.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM

46 posts, read 99,131 times
Quote:

when i am out on the trail or on an extended pack trip, i keep my old winchester handy. you never know what harm may be around the corner from people or critters like rattlers. many times have shot the head
off a pissed off rattler that was about to get me first.
sometimes these things can be avoided but for times when its impossible...a shot from my rifle or 6gun does the trick.

its about protection.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,995 times
Quote:
I can understand the target practice. I am sure its fun. So far I think certain restrictions on guns are OK. I don't think ppl who have a history of mental illness or who served time prison should ever own a gun.
ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Run a search on "Prohibited Persons". I got over 6,000 hits.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Nope, its not an obsession but I'll leave that alone.
Europe had a great firearms tradition, they let it slip away but I can put you in touch with dozens of folks from Europe, Australia & other places that arent fond of having lost their rights or had them severly restricted.

When something you considered a right & have been doing for generations is torn away by people who dont grasp the situation it tends to cause people to speak out.

Quote:
Mostly I collect & restore older Marlin lever action rifles, but I also hunt & shoot recreationally. I reload & my sons & I shoot at the range each Sunday during the warmer months.
In addition I recognize their immeasurable value as a defensive tool & have no qualms about saying thats the most important reason not to let this right be diminished.

Nobody else is going to put their life on the line for me & my family.
So I take steps to ensure we dont need help if it comes to that.

Some might call it obsession, I call it responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies