U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 AM

24 posts, read 153,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
The guy is very different in background from African-Americans. His mother is white and I wonder how she feels his son is called black all the time as it served an interest.

Anyway, racism and ethnocentrism shouldn't have a place in the truly global society of the future.

No, he is no different from most blacks in this nation. At what point are you considered full "African American"? How many generations removed from your white or american-indian ancestors is enough? If you trace back the lineage of most blacks in this country who have been here for many generations, there will almost always be a "non-african" somewhere in the lineage. For most, you only have to go back 1 or 2 generations. Why do you think there are so many shades of african-americans here in the US? If you look at most African nations, those people generally look the same as others in their country as far as hue and features-northern Africans are generally lighter, southern Africans usually have very dark skin. Not as much "dilution" in the bloodline as here in the states.

He's bi-racial, wife is black, kids are???? Black or Biracial? Hard to classify, KWIM? So I'm sure he identifies racially as black because that is what the history of our society says (one drop of black blood makes you black).

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement regarding the place of race in the global society. Maybe one day we will just be Americans.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,720,360 times
Doesn't get much more African American than Obama. His Mom was American and his Father was African....

Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,531,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I wont try speak for FCG. I for one am fedup with hearing how all the wrong done 400 years ago I owe something for. or that the last 50yrs dont count for much. and not just from blacks. (Im part indian) Get off my butt, I accept everybody as equal. and that includes my right to dislike any person I so choose. I think this country is going to start hearing more of this from everybody. get over it all folks and move on with your life, I did.
Very good post. I told my son that virtually all of his ansestors on my side are southern, and at least part of the family on the plantation level and he was horrified. I ask him why- they were bad people. I ask how he knew that? Whatever was is past... and how are we to judge them? How do you think the future will judge us?

What matters is what is now. What we now think and say and believe and practice. My son did not get that someone who way back had ansestors who were slaves could feel justified in saying it was his fault.

My dad is from the south. He left at 16 and wouldn't return to see his family because he hated George Wallace for what he stood for. This matters a whole lot more than what his grandparents did. I am sick of any group claiming that the past is making them victums. Maybe their grandparents or further, but not them.

We do have racism. Some of it is open and some carefully hidden. But it has proven to not hold the talented back from success. Or those with ambition to succeed. The racism is on all sides, including the hispanic and black. If people would quit blaming "them" and use all that energy to make themselves better the social racism would be much less. It feeds upon itself. It will only go away when we stop feeing it.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,245,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
No, he is no different from most blacks in this nation.
I think we both know African-American is traditionally (from the civil rights movement of the 1960s) used for the descendants of slaves from the Atlantic trade. Obama is Kenyan-European-American. He doesn't share the experience of what gives most African-Americans a common identity.

I do understand perfectly well blacks have suffered a lot throughout American history. They needed to embrace someone like Obama. But let us be correct here.
The black columnist Stanley Crouch has said, "When black Americans refer to Obama as 'one of us', I do not know what they are talking about."

I wasn't thinking just of race. It's true African-Americans have signficant white admixture. Most African-Americans have ancestors born in Africa several generations ago. That's not the case with Obama. He's African-American if you take the words at face value, like SLCPUNK did. He's simply bi-racial. Media makes an issue out of it by calling him black. The media doesn't constantly talk about Tiger Woods being black.

Quote:
At what point are you considered full "African American"?
He's as much European-American. It's just that the U.S tend to focus on phenotype and is stuck in the one-drop rule mentality. It doesn't make it right. It's something left from the Jim Crow era.

Quote:
If you look at most African nations, those people generally look the same as others in their country as far as hue and features-northern Africans are generally lighter, southern Africans usually have very dark skin. Not as much "dilution" in the bloodline as here in the states.
There are few blacks north of the Sahara. North African countries are full of whites - especially some Atlas Berbers.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 AM

604 posts, read 982,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I know a guy that has had more jobs than most have in a lifetime and everytime he got fired he blamed it on other people saying that they were racists and treated him differently because of his color. Truth is he's just a lousy worker with a big mouth and a temper that couldn't work with others in a civil manner. OP's statement was not offensive at all. Twas the truth put simply.
You must know the same guy I know.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:54 AM

9,902 posts, read 8,063,496 times
>There is no "man" to hold us blacks down any longer<

LOL hes the POTUS. He IS "the man"

>Obama has become more and more Conservative since November 4th,<

Not sure how far that really went except that it really started happening a few weeks after the election. I have a feeling its because Bush started doing those uber secret talks one president has with the next.

The secrets must be scary stuff. Obama already looks older to me.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 AM

19,354 posts, read 17,468,922 times
I'm a libertarian and was searching for a reason to be happy. While I wish Obama well, and he'll need it with the people he's surrounded himself with, I just don't see him doing anything in the next 4 years that will make us better or stronger. If anything, we'll be worse off.
But maybe that's a good thing. Maybe people will finally accept that BOTH parties have failed us miserably and we'll finally turn away from both of them and seek TRUE change and new directions. But I think that's a long shot, we'll probably just go back to conservatives hoping that they'll be able to turn things around in the next 2 and 4 years.
And the cycle will continue, unchanged.
As far as the race issue, I think it will finally be accepted that you can't demand to be given what you already have. You can't even if you say you don't have it.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,234,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Finally, a Black man holds the position of most powerful and influential man in the world. I wish him the absolute best, and I give him my whole-hearted support (I even voted for him, even though I'm a registered Repuplican).

While I don't think he's going to be able to enact all the "change" he promised in his campaign, I do believe that he will have a major impact on this country, simply for doing nothing more than being voted President.

Why?

Because after Americans ended slavery, enacted Civil Rights, de-segregated our schools, and enacted affirmative action, MANY Blacks are STILL blaming slavery and discrimination for their failures. But now Americans have voted a Black man (well, half-Black, anyway) as our President. And it will be interesting if Black-Americans can FINALLY recognize and acknowledge that the American people of today are not the slave-owners, racists and xenophobes of yesterday.

So any blame for failure among Black-Americans to succeed, from now on has to be placed where it belongs...with Black Americans. No more excuses. No more scapegoats.
When inequality regarding salaries, housing, and credit are made equal then maybe blacks will stop complaining. Not meaning that they should blame slave-owners, but they should continue to speak out against the institutions and employers that continue to promote unfair practices. Institutionalized racism will always exist in one form or another. Obama will not be able to magically make these practices disappear.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,881,260 times
I guess some whites are tired of feeling guilty about slavery and the 450 years of segregation that only ended about 40 years ago so they see the election of Obama as an end all be all to racism and their feeling of guilt (It's not as if these same whites dont complain about affirmative action or anything else that actually helps in leveling an unbalanced playing field). Any person of any race that believes that racial equality has been reached in this country needs to come down from their ivory tower. Jesse and Al had their time but it's Obama's time and Obama has continually said he hopes that everybody will have full inclusion in America. We have not reached that yet and to take our foot of the pettle would be a huge mistake. There's no need today to feel guilty. It's a new day. Lets move forward from here realizing that we ALL can be better if we ALL help each other. Some blacks need to complain less and try harder and some whites need to stop pretending like everything is all peachy. We ALL know we need to work so lets do it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,075,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Finally, a Black man holds the position of most powerful and influential man in the world. I wish him the absolute best, and I give him my whole-hearted support (I even voted for him, even though I'm a registered Repuplican).

While I don't think he's going to be able to enact all the "change" he promised in his campaign, I do believe that he will have a major impact on this country, simply for doing nothing more than being voted President.

Why?

Because after Americans ended slavery, enacted Civil Rights, de-segregated our schools, and enacted affirmative action, MANY Blacks are STILL blaming slavery and discrimination for their failures. But now Americans have voted a Black man (well, half-Black, anyway) as our President. And it will be interesting if Black-Americans can FINALLY recognize and acknowledge that the American people of today are not the slave-owners, racists and xenophobes of yesterday.

So any blame for failure among Black-Americans to succeed, from now on has to be placed where it belongs...with Black Americans. No more excuses. No more scapegoats.

You know what? I agree with every thing you say. I also happen to be a moderately liberal Black man.

However, I also think that it's time for the Old Boy Network to officially dismantle the last vestiges of the glass ceiling and allow more opportunities for women and minorities. Mr. Obama's ascendancy as well as the strong showing of both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin show that the vast majority of the country is ready for women and people of color to assume responsibility in the higher echelons of power.

Of course, there is still a educational gap for many minorities - which subsequently results in a relatively low number of qualified candidates in many higher-level positions - that will take a long time to be addressed.

On the other hand, finding qualified women shouldn't be that much of a problem. Adjusting and accepting shifting gender roles may become more of an issue as more ladies become the primary breadwinner of their households. But that's another topic ....

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-21-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies