Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,272,731 times

Advertisements

Look at all the rich black people there are in the world, and the prestigious positions many of them hold. If some of them are still using slavery as some kind of excuse for things, then thats just lame and scraping the bottom of the jar for excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,952,411 times
Default Barack Obama is...

the Ronald Reagan for people of color.
And,
It's morning in the 'hood.
Time to wake up and go to work.
Clean up your street.
Chase off the the rock slingers.
Forget about the bling and the jump shots.
Get real. Be real. Love yourselves.
Leave childish things behind.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
So any blame for failure among Black-Americans to succeed, from now on has to be placed where it belongs...with Black Americans. No more excuses. No more scapegoats.

Nice try.

No need for excuses, racism is alive and well in too many sectors of American society.

Scapegoats will cease to exist when racist become extinct, and judging from the comments on these threads, they aren't even on the endangered species list.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nice try.

No need for excuses, racism is alive and well in too many sectors of American society.

Scapegoats will cease to exist when racist become extinct, and judging from the comments on these threads, they aren't even on the endangered species list.
Yes, and hence my statement.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,992,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nice try.

If racism were as alive and well as you claim, then Obama wouldn't be President...Oprah Winfrey wouldn't be the most influential, celebrated, and richest woman in the U.S...Will Smith wouldn't be the highest paid actor in the U.S....Clarence Thomas wouldn't hold one of the highest judicial positions in the U.S. (Supreme Court Justice)...and we wouldn't have thousands of regailed and celebrated Black athletes, singers, actors, etc.

These people would never have been elevated to the levels that they are without being respected and embraced by Whites. They may be a small sampling, but there are millions of Black scholars, scientists, engineers, businessmen/women, etc. These people would NOT be where they are if racism was holding them back.

And yes, there are plenty of Black people struggling to make it in the U.S....living on welfare, working in menial jobs, and lacking education. But that is NOT due to racism. And again, that is the point I'm trying to make here.

At this point in history racism only exists in most people's imagination. And there are plenty of Blacks who will attest to this. But I think the election of Obama as President can finally put an end to the fallacy of racism in the U.S.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 01-20-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,991,458 times
Quote:
If racism were as alive and well as you claim, then Obama wouldn't be President, the most influential, celebrated, and richest woman in the U.S. wouldn't be Oprah Winfrey, the highest paid actor wouldn't be Will Smith, and we wouldn't have thousands of regailed and celebrated black athletes, singers, actors, etc. And we would have no black scholars, scientists, physicians, engineers, businessmen/women, etc.

These people would never have been elevated to the levels that they are without being embraced by Whites.

At this point in history racism only exists in most people's imagination. And there are plenty of Blacks who will attest to this. But I think the election of Obama as President can finally put an end to the fallacy of racism in the U.S.
No wonder you left California. You obviously have a warped view of racism.

Just because the majority of Americans are not racist, doesn't mean it's over.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,481,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Bold words. Do you have any evidence to back that up? I'm sure most African Americans would disagree with that offensive way of thinking.
Oh I'm sure you are correct, they would disagree, but then turn around and blame their lot in life because they ancestors were slaves and that will always hold them down.

They are a minority of blacks, but no an insignificant minority. I had to fire an incompetent employee, that simply couldn't or wouldn't do the work, and was told that I couldn't fire them because of what my great granddaddy had done to their great granddaddy. She was wrong, I could and did fire her.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,992,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
No wonder you left California. You obviously have a warped view of racism.

Just because the majority of Americans are not racist, doesn't mean it's over.
Please explain to me what your idea of the correct view of racism is.

With the majority of Americans NOT being racist, that pretty much means it's over. Of course there will always be a small minority of biggots no matter where you go. But allowing the minority opinion of a few to justify your claim that racism still has a foothold in America, is illogical.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times
Quote:
If racism were as alive and well as you claim, then Obama wouldn't be President, the most influential, celebrated, and richest woman in the U.S. wouldn't be Oprah Winfrey, the highest paid actor wouldn't be Will Smith, and we wouldn't have thousands of regailed and celebrated black athletes, singers, actors, etc. Clarence Thomas wouldn't hold one of the highest judicial positions in the U.S. (Supreme Court Justice), etc. etc.
What a ludicrous argument.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,991,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh I'm sure you are correct, they would disagree, but then turn around and blame their lot in life because they ancestors were slaves and that will always hold them down.

They are a minority of blacks, but no an insignificant minority. I had to fire an incompetent employee, that simply couldn't or wouldn't do the work, and was told that I couldn't fire them because of what my great granddaddy had done to their great granddaddy. She was wrong, I could and did fire her.
Right, but there are also whites who also come up with excuses for why they can't get ahead. You know them, I know them.

The stereotype that blacks use slavery to get what they want is played out. It's another example of old school whites, latinos, and asians coming up with reasons to try and justify their hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies