U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,737,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
I would have expected nothing less from you. This says as much about you as it does about him.
Well, thanks, since the guy is operating completely within the law. These businesses were breaking the law. If they want to take the challenge and go to court evidently he is willing to do that, or they wouldnt offer to pay out of court. Extortion - settling out of court is not handing over a suitcase at midnight down by the docks; it's still a drawn-out legal process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

2,839 posts, read 3,765,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, thanks, since the guy is operating completely within the law. These businesses were breaking the law. If they want to take the challenge and go to court evidently he is willing to do that, or they wouldnt offer to pay out of court. Extortion - settling out of court is not handing over a suitcase at midnight down by the docks; it's still a drawn-out legal process.
As someone with a disability, in theory I agree with a stance towards activism and buisnesses who break the law should have the boom come down on them.

But....

This guy is trash. Just because someone is doing a "Good Thing" doesn't mean he's truly doing it for that reason. Not only that, but it makes me and everyone else who's "different" come off as jackasses and people to be avoided. I get enough social hate/stigma without d-bags like this guy proving the haters right. It's akin to the Jesse Jackson "Civil Rights" set.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,744,494 times
The guy is being a true capitalist, he saw an untapped market and went after it. The people he's suing chose to disregard the law and he's holding them "personally responsible". Conservatives are big on personal responsibilty, right?

I'd think the conservatives here would applaud the guy, those that aren't hypocrites anyway.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,737,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As someone with a disability, in theory I agree with a stance towards activism and buisnesses who break the law should have the boom come down on them.

But....

This guy is trash. Just because someone is doing a "Good Thing" doesn't mean he's truly doing it for that reason. Not only that, but it makes me and everyone else who's "different" come off as jackasses and people to be avoided. I get enough social hate/stigma without d-bags like this guy proving the haters right. It's akin to the Jesse Jackson "Civil Rights" set.
I think what most people are objecting to about this is that he's a slimy guy. If he were a good looking, friendly, pleasant young lady who gave "a percentage" of the take to an appropriate charity, there wouldnt be an outcry, in fact she'd be cheered on I think.

But as uncomfortable as his main purpose is, he's within the law to do this and he is making things better for handicapped people, even if only tangentially.

I see what you mean about such people making everyone look bad. There's a guy in a town in PA who did this same thing with demanding wheelchair-accessible ramps at every streetcorner. He infuriated everyone and cost the taxpayers probably millions (knowing that crooked town). I dont know if he personally benefited monetarily from it, but I do know he incurred a lot of wrath (and had to pay his own share of the higher taxes). There was another guy who sued the county, I believe, for wheelchair access inside the stairs-only county courthouse.

But shouldnt the towns and businesses have complied with the law before they were legally forced to do so? It's attacking the messenger - and this guy is easy to attack.

If these cases werent negatively publicized by the whining business owners - if that slimy guy werent such an excellent target - the benefits for wheelchair-bound folks would be the only part we see.

Im sorry some stupid people will paint everyone with the same brush, but there are such people everywhere - just as a woman I run into people's weird presumptions all the time. And Im sorry these benefits are currently coming via a person who incites resentment instead of one who inspires and encourages healthy activism. *refrains from singing "One Bad Apple Dont Spoil The Whole Bunch Girl"*

Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The guy is being a true capitalist, he saw an untapped market and went after it. The people he's suing chose to disregard the law and he's holding them "personally responsible". Conservatives are big on personal responsibilty, right?

I'd think the conservatives here would applaud the guy, those that aren't hypocrites anyway.
Stick-ups are also a way of gaining "Untapped Markets". After all, it's your fault your caring a couple twenties in your pocket.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,744,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Stick-ups are also a way of gaining "Untapped Markets". After all, it's your fault your caring a couple twenties in your pocket.

That's a weak argument. Stickups are against the law, and carrying money is not against the law. Ya gotta do better than that.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
have run into several. our system is not about justice any longer its about lawyering up.the fact that the innocent are and the guilty did is no longer the issued decided in a court of law. unfortunate. what is worse much worse and the man on the street as mirrored this new concept of justice in his thinking. if they dont put him in jail he did not commit that rape.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think what most people are objecting to about this is that he's a slimy guy. If he were a good looking, friendly, pleasant young lady who gave "a percentage" of the take to an appropriate charity, there wouldnt be an outcry, in fact she'd be cheered on I think.

But as uncomfortable as his main purpose is, he's within the law to do this and he is making things better for handicapped people, even if only tangentially.

I see what you mean about such people making everyone look bad. There's a guy in a town in PA who did this same thing with demanding wheelchair-accessible ramps at every streetcorner. He infuriated everyone and cost the taxpayers probably millions (knowing that crooked town). I dont know if he personally benefited monetarily from it, but I do know he incurred a lot of wrath (and had to pay his own share of the higher taxes). There was another guy who sued the county, I believe, for wheelchair access inside the stairs-only county courthouse.

But shouldnt the towns and businesses have complied with the law before they were legally forced to do so? It's attacking the messenger - and this guy is easy to attack.

If these cases werent negatively publicized by the whining business owners - if that slimy guy werent such an excellent target - the benefits for wheelchair-bound folks would be the only part we see.

Im sorry some stupid people will paint everyone with the same brush, but there are such people everywhere - just as a woman I run into people's weird presumptions all the time. And Im sorry these benefits are currently coming via a person who incites resentment instead of one who inspires and encourages healthy activism. *refrains from singing "One Bad Apple Dont Spoil The Whole Bunch Girl"*

I get what you're saying, but unfortunetly, what he's doing only fans the flames. It's human nature to side with richer/prettier/"normal"/stronger individuals. I should know, I can't walk two blocks w/o someone giving me the evil eye becuase I happen to be a little bit more "eccentirc"/uglier/darker than the rest of my community (I have Autism, in case you were wondering). Human beings are scumbags with regards to those with disabilites.

Is he in the right to do what he is doing? Absolutley. But he could go about it a different way. Having lived with a disability all my life, I know American society sees me as a pox to human existance, so why give them more ammo.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM

638 posts, read 1,722,190 times
If it's the same guy this is in the Sacramento area. If this is the same guy he's been doing this for quite a few years as I moved out of the Sac area and Calif 4 1/2 yrs ago and they had an article in the Sac Bee and on TV (local station/news) about it a couple of years prior to that.

This guy is a POS. He goes after small businesses.. you know the ones that are trying to keep their business afloat even w/all the economic crap.

Someone needs to amputate his legs and arms so he can't get out of bed and cause strife to people trying to do what they can to survive.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM

175 posts, read 638,736 times
How many of you spent any time in a wheelchair? There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to go somewhere because there is no ramp, or not being able to use the restroom because there is no stall large enough to fit a wheelchair. I'm lucky that I only need to use the chair temporarily while I recover from a broken leg. I can also sit in a regular chair in a restaurant, so I don't have to deal with the table problem. I HAVE become a firm supporter of the ADA, though.

Because this is only for a few months, I grin and bear it. I can't imagine how those who are permanently disabled feel. If these businesses were complying with the law, then they wouldn't be getting sued.

I think that measuring handicapped spaces to see if they're an inch off is over the top, but ensuring access ramps, handicapped bathrooms, and seating in a restaurant is not. Kudos to this guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies