Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,925,338 times

Advertisements

It's called Freedom of Religeon.
I love to pray in public places.... it pleases God....
and pisses off people like yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,913,997 times
1. Now that Obama is President, all these flaming atheist, left wing extremists are ok with Obama's faith. lmao, can you say the definition of hypocrite. I recall these same people criticizing Bush for a prayer. The same Bush who said he never took the Bible in a literal sense. Bush actually thinks along the lines of Native Americans, that there is an ultimate creator, and the bible might be one of many paths. He never took Christianity literally. Obama is much closer to a literal interpretation of that religion.

Also, 92% of all American's believe in GOD, with over 82% practicing or believing some form of Judeo Christianity. So yea, it makes sense.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,976,957 times
I'm a Christian but I said in another post where some were gloating b'c they claimed the bible or God wouldn't be incorporated in the ceremony that it really doesn't matter to me, that, I'd rather someone admit they don't want it and stand firm on their convictions than to do it and be a fake. Either way, whatever people want to believe is between them and God.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I wouldn't care if the President prayed to a magic frog that lived in a hollow log in the secret forest as long as the guy does his job honorably and in a principled way to the best of his ability, then whatever floats their boat.

Although if he whipped out an obsidian blade and sacrificed a goat in front of the Lincoln Memorial, then I would be quite concerned.
Hey. The bluer this country gets, the more likely that becomes.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,191,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
1. Now that Obama is President, all these flaming atheist, left wing extremists are ok with Obama's faith. lmao, can you say the definition of hypocrite. I recall these same people criticizing Bush for a prayer. The same Bush who said he never took the Bible in a literal sense. Bush actually thinks along the lines of Native Americans, that there is an ultimate creator, and the bible might be one of many paths. He never took Christianity literally. Obama is much closer to a literal interpretation of that religion.

Also, 92% of all American's believe in GOD, with over 82% practicing or believing some form of Judeo Christianity. So yea, it makes sense.
In professing to know what the flaming atheist left-wring extremists are thinking you're no worse than the people who professed to know what Bush was thinking in regards to his faith.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Doesn't bother me a bit. It's all just pro-forma, standard boiler-plate words to meet people's desire to think the speaker is a respectable guy. The words mean nothing, all politicians do it, like they shake hands and kiss babies.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Doesn't bother me a bit. It's all just pro-forma, standard boiler-plate words to meet people's desire to think the speaker is a respectable guy. The words mean nothing, all politicians do it, like they shake hands and kiss babies.
And refrain from throttling each other in public.

Yes, it's just that damn fake old cultural heritage, inhibiting us and keeping us from baring our fangs and swinging off into the trees to gnaw on bones.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,588,731 times
I am a Christian [Catholic specifically] & feel uncomfortable where there is prayer in public because it is imposing my faith on others. Just think how many people at the inaugural were non-Christian or atheists. They may have been surrounded by Christians who were bowing their heads and praying the Lord's Prayer with the Rick Warren. Also I'm sure there are many Jews [ie Senator Feinstein the Master of Ceremonies is Jewish] in Obama's administration who had to go into the National Cathedral this morning to pray & sing Christian hymns.

I just don't think it is fair & muddies the waters between church & state.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,129,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
So you are a sadist then? You like to bother people? You enjoy making others uncomfortable? Do these actions please your God?

Despite historical occurrences, the inclusion of religion at any political event is unnecessary and can be divisive. It made me very uncomfortable to sit with my coworkers watching these things yesterday. The office of the President of the USA is NOT sacred and nothing, no historical document or US law, has been approved by any God I'm aware of. Religion and politics need a Berlin Wall between them.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:5-6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies