U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,453,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hey. The bluer this country gets, the more likely that becomes.
That's a really dangerous assertion, specifically, that Democrats and those on the left are less Christian or less than Christian. Is this what you're implying? Do we really need a religious war on top of all our other national problems? Do you want a country where people have to PROVE their worthiness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,536,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
In professing to know what the flaming atheist left-wring extremists are thinking you're no worse than the people who professed to know what Bush was thinking in regards to his faith.
Um, my analogy was based on their years of statements and actions, not on what I "think or feel." this has to be one of the most ill-informed comebacks I've ever seen on all of city-data. You basically made my arguement for me. lmao!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Quote:
So you were troubled.
So you are functionally illiterate. A 7th-grader should be flunked for misconstruing "what becomes troublesome" into "I was troubled".

Quote:
Well, millions were inspired -- and I have a feeling Obama was among them.
What skill or training allows you to perceive the thoughts of a person you've never met from 3,000 miles away by watching brief cuts of him on TV? You're in an even lower league than Bill Frist claiming to diagnose Terri Schiavo by studying a videotape. Ludicrous.

Quote:
And no judge is going to cozy up to Newdow and his fish-eyed nihilism.
Learn more about either nihilism or Michael Newdow. Maybe study a little law before presuming to pronounce over it also...at least enough to learn the difference between Dred Scott and Plessy v Ferguson...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Everybody sees things from a different perspective depending on their experiences in life and upbringing and shouldn't have to be someone they aren't just to placate someone else.
There are many religion-claiming folks who are in need of just such a lesson in humility. Religion is an individual matter in this country. Free exercise rights end at the tips of your fingers. Everyone else you see every day has just as much right to his or her beliefs as you have to yours. Keep off the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Basically a prayer (whether the person praying knows it or not) is just sending positive energy to someone. Quantum physics has proven (although they can't explain how it works really) that this is the case....
Lost me, there. Unless this is some reference to ridiculous "remote prayer" studies that some fundies have touted. Those are bunk...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,996,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Um, my analogy was based on their years of statements and actions, not on what I "think or feel." this has to be one of the most ill-informed comebacks I've ever seen on all of city-data. You basically made my arguement for me. lmao!

For someone that is so religous, you sure make alot of disparaging remarks.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I don't care that the 10 commandments are listed in my courthouse or that my money says, in god we trust.
There are reasons that you should, whatever your personal religous stance might be. Religious freedom depends entirely, and religious tolerance depends significantly, upon government staying out of the religious picture, save for protecting individual rights. As soon as the state may warrant that THIS is the GOOD religion...THIS is the one that WE think is best, the religious rights of those believing otherwise are compromised. Nothing worthwhile is gained from having the Ten Commandments in any courthouse nor by having In God We Trust on the currency. The only result is that those of the favored faith are told that they are better. All others are told that they don't measure up. Under our laws, none of that is the business of government. They should get out of it.

Last edited by saganista; 01-21-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
It's called Freedom of Religeon. I love to pray in public places.... it pleases God....and pisses off people like yourself!
I see you are an ally of the Flying Imams. Otherwise, you are perfectly welcome to pray in public places. If someone tries to restrain you, call the ACLU. They are very good at dealing with those sorts of people.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Also, 92% of all American's believe in GOD, with over 82% practicing or believing some form of Judeo Christianity. So yea, it makes sense.
You don't undertstand how your government works, do you. There is no such thing as "majority rules" when it comes to establishment or free exercise issues...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM

74 posts, read 127,584 times
It's ok with everyone and the media as long as Obama did it - fess up lemmings!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Doesn't bother me a bit. It's all just pro-forma, standard boiler-plate words to meet people's desire to think the speaker is a respectable guy. The words mean nothing, all politicians do it, like they shake hands and kiss babies.
Individual politicians have an individual right of free exercise that they may use as they see fit. The government has no rights at all. It has only powers. Its powers do not extend into the matter of favoring any particular religion over others or religion over non-religion. Neither do they extend into limiting an individual's free exercise of his or her religion so long as that exercise remains individual. The line between individual politician and government is in this case quite a significant one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies