U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 4,309,318 times
Reputation: 1082

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Great concise statement, agree fully. Didn't take long to do so.

Just today, there is approval for an embryonic stem cell test, using human patients, aiming to help people with spinal cord injuries. Tests done in lab rats were promising, now we FINALLY get to move on. Too late for Christopher Reeves though....

washingtonpost.com
Interesting that you left out the part where human embryos are being used on these human patients.

I and the rest of those who are wary of this are fully aware of the benefits of hte technology. It would be a light year step ahead if we could find a programmable cell to do what we ask it to do. However I do not think that you are aware of the moral implications.
You gloss over the fact that these are fertilized cells. In other words, future people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,485 posts, read 74,374,114 times
Reputation: 47874
our high tech medical is extraodinary 21st century achievement it should not be discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,070,179 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And embryonic stem cell research kills no babies. They are done on embryos that would have been discarded anyways.

The embryos are alive until they kill them to take the cells. Now...whether or not they would ever be implanted is not the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,825,042 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The embryos are alive until they kill them to take the cells. Now...whether or not they would ever be implanted is not the issue.
LOL, oh boy....it never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous things I see posted on this forum every day. Thanks guys, thank you for keeping humor in my life, one stupid post at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Reputation: 19073
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
yes, it will be good to see biology given back to the scientists instead of the priesthood.
amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM
 
26,297 posts, read 17,198,522 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
You liberals actually don't mind science growing sheep with two heads, cloning animals, and messing around with God's creatures? You know it is only a matter of time till you have a two headed clone! Think about it.
The stem-cells will not be used for cloning...or as idiot Bush said..."human animal hybrids"

The reseaerch will be used for and give hope to people with Alzheimers, kids with diabetes and paraplegic soldiers disabled by Bush's bougus war!

These stem-cells were headed for the trash so why would anyone in their right mind be against this???

BTW...cloning has been successfully achieved already and so far I have not bumped into too many clones in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,800,577 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The embryos are alive until they kill them to take the cells. Now...whether or not they would ever be implanted is not the issue.
Again, whether or not stem cell research are done on the embryos, they were to be discarded.

As in, even if we never heard of stem cell research, the embryos that would have been used for the testing would be discarded. Therefore, if they're not used for stem cell research, they would be wasted. Would you want to waste life like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I and the rest of those who are wary of this are fully aware of the benefits of hte technology. It would be a light year step ahead if we could find a programmable cell to do what we ask it to do. However I do not think that you are aware of the moral implications.
.
That may come in the future, especially if research continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,800,577 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Interesting that you left out the part where human embryos are being used on these human patients.

I and the rest of those who are wary of this are fully aware of the benefits of hte technology. It would be a light year step ahead if we could find a programmable cell to do what we ask it to do. However I do not think that you are aware of the moral implications.
You gloss over the fact that these are fertilized cells. In other words, future people.
Embryos that would have been discarded otherwise and have no other real use.

It would be immoral not to use them for stem cell research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
 
1,047 posts, read 2,087,129 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, oh boy....it never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous things I see posted on this forum every day. Thanks guys, thank you for keeping humor in my life, one stupid post at a time.
You laugh, but I hear that the political posts are studied closely by the psychiatrists/psychologists who will be writing the DSM V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top