U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,306,539 times

Advertisements

The old diversion tactic...

There is a new handbook,the dull and used up old tactics no longer work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,539,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Like a true modern-day leftist, you pretend that your interpretations and political preferences are fact and everyone else's are not and therefore the ends justify the means. You assume that only you want the Constitution upheld and that there are no disagreements about the interpretation of and what it means to uphold the Constitution. You assume that a political counter-attack to a political attack is unjustified as a matter of fact. You assume that torture of non-uniformed enemy combatants is always unjustified as a matter of fact, or that there's even an objective standard of what constitutes torture. You assume that none of these things are policy disagreements when in fact that's exactly what they are. You are an excellent case study in the righteous certitude of the left that makes so many of your ideological compatriots believe their ends justify their means. "Ends justify means" does not work in a democracy. That's something your ideological counterparts have lost track of.
Total BS. I purposely chose my examples because there are no underlying questions of interpretation. The Bush administration did release classified material without passing it through any declassification process. Cheney admitted it. That's not just a political counterattack against a whistleblower. It's a crime.

Torture is illegal. We prohibit it by treaty and law. We prosecuted people in WWII for doing exactly what Bush admitted doing.

Bush violated FISA by spying on Americans. He's admitted that. He claims that the AUMF gave him that power, when there's nothing in there that does.

Bush held an American arrested on American soil in solitary for over 3 years without charges. That's a violation of a principle that is a foundation of our Constitution.

You might feel bad for having supported the biggest buffoon to ever hold the office, and that shows in your defensiveness - getting "Fauntleroy pissy" about people being polite to Bush - but I couldn't care less.

If Bush had an ounce of respect for the American people, he would have recognize that he wasn't equipped for the office. He ran a scummy campaign against McCain and Gore in 2000, he took the office through legal maneuvering, and he deserves to go to jail for his actions in office. I don't see why I should show him any respect at all - just because he managed to sneak into office.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,543,771 times
Actually an example of "black America" only it is too bad, Obama would smack these clowns upside the head if given the chance. Obama is much like Bill Cosby, in that he can't stand it when black people act like idiots. I'll never forget that clip when he addressed that rap artists about pulling up his pants...I think you will see him address some of this during his term. He wants to clean up black America, by starting with black people themselves. Write it down, I'll all but gaurantee it! Sorry ifI don't sound politically correct, but it's true. Obama is not the least bit interested in geting down with ghetto America. Yet all these clowns booing bush think he is. they are in for a rude awakening.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,196,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Total BS. I purposely chose my examples because there are no underlying questions of interpretation. The Bush administration did release classified material without passing it through any declassification process. Cheney admitted it. That's not just a political counterattack against a whistleblower. It's a crime.

Torture is illegal. We prohibit it by treaty and law. We prosecuted people in WWII for doing exactly what Bush admitted doing.

Bush violated FISA by spying on Americans. He's admitted that. He claims that the AUMF gave him that power, when there's nothing in there that does.

Bush held an American arrested on American soil in solitary for over 3 years without charges. That's a violation of a principle that is a foundation of our Constitution.

You might feel bad for having supported the biggest buffoon to ever hold the office, and that shows in your defensiveness - getting "Fauntleroy pissy" about people being polite to Bush - but I couldn't care less.

If Bush had an ounce of respect for the American people, he would have recognize that he wasn't equipped for the office. He ran a scummy campaign against McCain and Gore in 2000, he took the office through legal maneuvering, and he deserves to go to jail for his actions in office. I don't see why I should show him any respect at all - just because he managed to sneak into office.
Blah blah blah.

There's an old saying that goes something like this: a lie will make it halfway around the world before the truth finishes tying its laces. It is in the same vein that it would take far more time for me to unpack all of this crap in your post than you took to pack it, what with all of your assumed premises and assumed interpretations.

So I'll simply let your twaddle stand as yet another piece of testimony to what I have already said: you and your ideological contemporaries are so certain of your righteousness that you believe that the ends justify the means. Righteous certitude is an inevitable part of political debate no matter the ideology, and I accept that fact. However, it is not a legitimate basis for extrapolitical action in a democracy. Your ideological brethren would do well to learn that they will be much more effective working to affect change within the democratic system than to chafe against it whenever it doesn't go their way.

Effective communication is the key to availing oneself of the democratic system. Mocking an incoming or outgoing president at a state function is anathema to effective communication of one's aims, though it is highly effective at communicating that your movement is juvenile and unserious.

Last edited by Drover; 01-21-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,789,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
What are your thoughts on Prez Bush being mocked at the Inauguration? I thought it was classless and immature. The simple notion that their lack of civility reflects badly on the man they support is obvioulsy lost on these people.

YouTube - Bush Booed and Jeered during Inaugural pre-Introduction
You can't really blame them. They're uncultured and haven't been taught 'class' and more importantly, dignity.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,309,443 times
Angry Bush/Cheney=war criminals

Its perfectly natural for Americans to express outrage toward Bush & I believe he was lucky that people didn't throw objects [ie. rocks\ rotten tomatoes\ eggs\ shoes] at him. The disgust of Bush & Republicans is getting worse even though the fool has finally left the White House. Clearly though, Bush will be back in DC sooner than he would like [also the Dick Cheney] to answer to the American people for all the crimes\ lies\ deaths he has committed against America. A traitor needs to be brought to judgment & Nancy Pelosi told the press today that investigations of the Bush White House will begin this month

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,810,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Sure it's not classy, but I guess he didn't show much class either when he bombed Iraq and Afghanistan.
Do a bit of research.

Get a dictionary.

Read a bit about Obama going after Afffffgahhhhhhhhhhhhhnistahannnnnnnnnnnnnn. As a good thing.

You libs are in for the ride of your lifes.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,789,628 times
Trailer trash mentality. That's all that is.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,558,885 times
OH my goodness! Such fighting and nastiness!!! And, and, gee whiz golly all those PRAYERS, all that god stuff at the inauguration..and after THAT this is how all you good "christians" act...tsk , tsk, tsk....

Guess those prayers didn't take hold

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,810,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Trailer trash mentality. That's all that is.
****** trash mentality. That's all that is.

See this get pulled.

Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies