U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM

8,408 posts, read 9,195,709 times
Now if he will just fire a bunch of the dead beat federal employees. I suggest the firing all IRS employees.

I forgot he wants to add another 600,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 AM

24,642 posts, read 13,502,241 times
How dare you call all federal employees deadbeats.

You obviously know nothing about federal employees; most are educated, intelligent, dedicated and provide a service to you the taxpayer.
Most employees that I've worked with put in long hours without compensation and work with changing priorities as a regular occurrence.

If you're not knowledgeable about something, it's better to keep your mouth shut until you have some facts, not opinion only.

Here's a small fact: a contractor to the government costs you, the taxpayer, a minimum of $180,000/year. It's significantly less to hire a federal employee. In most cases, you can hire 2 federal employees for the cost of 1 contractor; by that I mean fully burdened federal employees.

Federal employees work for a "not for profit" entity; contractors work in a "for profit" world.

Each of those Blackwater security people costs 2-3 times what it would cost to have a soldier in their place.

Try facts first, it might be a refreshing change.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM

8,193 posts, read 7,398,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

You obviously know nothing about federal employees; most are educated, intelligent, dedicated and provide a service to you the taxpayer.
Most employees that I've worked with put in long hours without compensation and work with changing priorities as a regular occurrence.

If you're not knowledgeable about something, it's better to keep your mouth shut until you have some facts, not opinion only.

Here's a small fact: a contractor to the government costs you, the taxpayer, a minimum of $180,000/year. It's significantly less to hire a federal employee. In most cases, you can hire 2 federal employees for the cost of 1 contractor; by that I mean fully burdened federal employees.

Federal employees work for a "not for profit" entity; contractors work in a "for profit" world.

Each of those Blackwater security people costs 2-3 times what it would cost to have a soldier in their place.

I could be wrong, but when most people say 'federal employee' they really mean beurocrat.....you know, the people that make convulated requirements and paperwork that is a ***** to wade through.
Here is a great example......the BCIS. They have so many different requirements and so many different departments all requiring the same thing in triplicate and depending on who you speak to you are sure to get a different answer. I don't blame the people I am talking to, but I do blame the beurocrats who set up the system to be as convulated as possible.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 AM

9,720 posts, read 7,315,685 times
WOW!!!!! Great posts...it's all been said

Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,236,923 times
Not paying your taxes, pardoning terrorists, that's all good. But hey, nobody said there'd be big changes.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,310,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
President Obama has already got more accomplished in his first day in office what Bush couldn't in 8.

Obama freezes top-pay, adds ethic rules: The Swamp

photo ops are wonderful things, aren't they?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM

16,895 posts, read 22,566,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Yep, lots of idiots out there who love to take pot shots at Feds. I was one for 30 years, with the Army mostly, 4 years with Navy. Hard working and dedicated Feds out-number the so-so types by at least ten to one. I worked in industry too for 5 years, no difference there, mostly good folks and a few tirds. I used to work from home on my time and my own PC, with security software the Army gave me.

At one Army agency I worked for, we paid at least $200k for each manyear of effort, replacing $75k Fed employees as they retired - and took 30+ years of knowledge out the door. At another Army agency I worked for, we paid $360k per year for senior contractor types to run some major Army websites. Feds would've been a third of that.

Taxpayers have NO idea how the National Chamber of Commerce has pushed to contract out as many Fed jobs as possible, to the benefit of NCC member corporations. The NCC are the same people who want to shut all the military PX's (and shove you into Wal-Mart, etc) and close military commissaries (and shove you into commercial supermarkets). These contract firms donate LARGE sums to people running for re-election, FEDs don't, so Feds get turned out. So far, the military has been able to keep their PX and Commissary systems running, but it's an annual battle.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM

16,895 posts, read 22,566,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Now if he will just fire a bunch of the dead beat federal employees. I suggest the firing all IRS employees.

I forgot he wants to add another 600,000.
We need to hire more IRS types, and pay them a bounty or percentage on all the tax deadbeats they catch out there. It would damned nearly balance the budget to catch them, and make paying taxes a lot fairer for all of us.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM

9,720 posts, read 7,315,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
photo ops are wonderful things, aren't they?
Yes they are...here's my last one.Don't I look great!!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM

51 posts, read 119,603 times
Quote:
President Obama has already got more accomplished in his first day in office what Bush couldn't in 8.

Obama freezes top-pay, adds ethic rules: The Swamp

Really? According to the article no salaries are being reduced just frozen. It's a PR move and nothing else. With Obama fever at an all time high the incoming administration knows they can direct quick fixes (through Presidential directives) that look good on paper and play well with the press but really don't affect the big picture. When I hear Obama ask for his salary to be reduced then I will take notice.

In a year or so when the economy is no longer the big story, quietly his staffers will have thier salaries unfrozen and it won't be publicized (no PR value).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies