Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I don't see what's so racist about the lyrics especially Nas's lyrics. Please explain to me sounds like there are just some bitter jealous people on this forum upset about Obama and trying to claim anything a black person says is racism. Also there seems to be a biterness that non white culture is becoming more accepted and some people just cannot handle that. You want to see real racism watch a special about the 50's and 60's on the history channel. Saying that every president up until now has been white hardly counts as racism. LOL Nas hardly counts as a "gangster rapper" and you call them uneducated racist street thugs who should be in jail, whats that all about this is probably how you view most black youth. Why are you focusing on black entertainers go critique some white ones too.

See trying to shift the focus off the subject at hand doesn't work.
And you're making assumptions that just aren't true.

I have no problem with Obama....I have problem with the image that these two in particular projected on this particular night. Why are you trying to take us back to the 50's and 60's? Why are you trying to take the focus of what's being said?

It sounds to me that you really don't have an argument so you're trying to steer the conversation away from the subject at hand.

I think if everything is ever going to be EQUAL in this country or world mind you, if it's ok for a black person to say something it should be ok for a white person to say the same thing without being crucified and called a racist.

Turn that around and the same applies.

Now imagine a white person doing these lyrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM

121 posts, read 225,731 times
This is exactly what I expected from an Obama inaugural ball. Way to go NAS!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
actually I said that.....

Im not a rap fan...at all, but their lyrics are no more hateful then a myriad of the anti Obama or anti McCain posts on this forum....by supposedly intelligent not from the ghetto brainiacs....so I think some perspective is the best way to go, that how I will look at it....and that includes your statements which I fully disagree with, but can respect. The rap "artists" (yes a loose term) have statement in their lyrics, so perhaps we can afford them the same.

I'm not trying to say they are more hateful. There are more than enough ignorant posts from the anti-obama and anti-mccain/palin crowd. Not all ghetto either ( I hope it didnt come out that way). Some ignorant old white ladies, young rednecks, gays, rich people, poor people, etc.
But this thread was on those rappers...I've commented on other threads when I saw something that, IMO, was ignorant. (hell...ive even amde ignorant comments myself, either trying to be funny or just got heated)

I just think that it was a very inappropriate time and there were much better choices out there (unfortunately those choices dont get the support because their messages are positive)

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Look on the bright side at least it was not Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne on the stage

Haha..true.

I guess it was kind of a middle ground as far as hip-hop/rap artists go.

I would have prefered the Commons, Mos Def, Roots route whereas they went with Jay-Z/Nas.

Lil Wayne or Trick Daddy (although I do like some Trick Daddy songs) would have been real bad.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
They were talking about it on tv....what a dis respectful bunch of people and the speech of Obama not to credit Bush more...well Karma will be waiting for him!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
I see no references to Bush in either rap. Ive seen worse from both sides on these very forums.

The na na na na goodbye people were much worse than those two.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I don't see what's so racist about the lyrics especially Nas's lyrics. Please explain to me sounds like there are just some bitter jealous people on this forum upset about Obama and trying to claim anything a black person says is racism. Also there seems to be a biterness that non white culture is becoming more accepted and some people just cannot handle that. You want to see real racism watch a special about the 50's and 60's on the history channel. Saying that every president up until now has been white hardly counts as racism. LOL Nas hardly counts as a "gangster rapper" and you call them uneducated racist street thugs who should be in jail, whats that all about this is probably how you view most black youth. Why are you focusing on black entertainers go critique some white ones too. Neither of these rappers performed at an official ball far as I know so I don't know what all the complaining is about.

I dont believe anyone said the lyrics were racist. Get your facts straight and dont put words in people's mouth.

And as far as seeing all black youth that way...not even a little bit. That's not why I said it. Read their lyrics...they say everything themselves. They are the ones talking about selling coke, carrying guns, locked up, etc. (its what JayZ and Nas did in the past)
So once again..please stop telling people what they said unless you can get it straight.

I would be more than happy to critique white entertainers. Make a thread on here and I will give you my opinion. This thread was about those two songs and how they were inappropriate for that particular day/event.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I dont believe anyone said the lyrics were racist. Get your facts straight and dont put words in people's mouth.

And as far as seeing all black youth that way...not even a little bit. That's not why I said it. Read their lyrics...they say everything themselves. They are the ones talking about selling coke, carrying guns, locked up, etc. (its what JayZ and Nas did in the past)
So once again..please stop telling people what they said unless you can get it straight.

I would be more than happy to critique white entertainers. Make a thread on here and I will give you my opinion. This thread was about those two songs and how they were inappropriate for that particular day/event.
You said

"It is also my first amendment right to call them uneducated racist street thugs that just happen to have a talent for finding words that rhyme (which made them rich). And if it wasnt for that talent...would be either in jail, dead or still slinging drugs on the street because they are worthless."

Ok you called them racist, based on the above statement that is what I was referring to. I did not see anything in the lyrics that was racist or did not particularly think anything in the lyrics was about gang banging. You bring up their past music I thought this thread is about rap lyrics at the ball? If you want to debate whether rap music is degenerate or negative for the youth (I personally think most of it is) you can but all I was saying is their rap ball lyrics were not racist. I only used the past to give an example of what true racism is, everybody likes to scream out racism about everything these days white and black both. Listen to conservative talk radio a lot of the things they say would be considered racism by some. Real racism consists of being beaten, hung, taken away rights, being called names etc. If you are saying they shouldn't have been picked to perform at the ball because of their past then I can see where you are coming and even agree with you on that. I agree that they could have picked more appropriate rappers but at least they didn't pick the down south thug rappers they are a lot more negative than Nas or Jay-z, but I don't really consider Nas to be much of a negative rapper.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 01-22-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
If you think Nas projected a poor image of African Americans you are insane.

Either that or you didn't listen to the actual lyrics and just figured out how many times they swore. Oh sorry they're black and rapped about how they've felt disenfranchised since forever and are hoping this guy doesn't screw them over.

We need more country singers that have lame and empty "I Love the USA" songs so we can all feel comfortable.

Some of you people need to learn something about other cultures, jesus christ.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You said

"It is also my first amendment right to call them uneducated racist street thugs that just happen to have a talent for finding words that rhyme (which made them rich). And if it wasnt for that talent...would be either in jail, dead or still slinging drugs on the street because they are worthless."

Ok you called them racist, based on the above statement that is what I was referring to. I did not see anything in the lyrics that was racist or did not particularly think anything in the lyrics was about gang banging. You bring up their past music I thought this thread is about rap lyrics at the ball? If you want to debate whether rap music is degenerate or negative for the youth (I personally think most of it is) you can but all I was saying is their rap ball lyrics were not racist. I only used the past to give an example of what true racism is, everybody likes to scream out racism about everything these days white and black both. Listen to conservative talk radio a lot of the things they say would be considered racism by some. Real racism consists of being beaten, hung, taken away rights, being called names etc. If you are saying they shouldn't have been picked to perform at the ball because of their past then I can see where you are coming and even agree with you on that. I agree that they could have picked more appropriate rappers but at least they didn't pick the down south thug rappers they are a lot more negative than Nas or Jay-z, and Nas is not as negative as Jay-Z Nas's music is at least half positive.
I brought up their past/current lyrics because you said I view all black youths as drug-dealing thugs...when all I said was those two claimed thats what they did in the past. And they make their money now by rapping about it. That they would still probably be doing that if they couldnt rhyme.

Everything else I can agree on. I probably just got out of line a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies