U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM

161 posts, read 365,263 times

Advertisements

Bad times for financial markets are widely predicted for next week.

One of the less cited causes for this problem is Russia cutting off the oil supply to Eastern Europe. They are turning their backs on millions that need that oil for heat and to stay alive in the winter, in the clear knowledge and effort to hurt (raise) global oil prices, and stem the supply and demand whip that is coming to lower (slam) oil prices. if the whip lashes, and prices go down, America's fortune 100 will realize a tremendous onshoring of profits, possibly the largest in USA history. Write your senators, Obama, whatever you can. I bet Dick Durbin would stop these guys. Whatever it takes, this is something we can't sit by idily on. We want Sanctions!

Last edited by IloveLoganSquare; 01-25-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM

179 posts, read 436,662 times
What?
I'm afraid you're missing like 99% of the story there.
I.e. the quarrel was about gas and not oil, it's just the usual B.S. between Russia and it's neighbors when they're re-negotiating the gas price between countries and this thing has been resolved weks ago anyway.
Besides that, the idea that the US could have an influence on Russia by imposing some "sanctions" like grounding a snotty teenager is silly anyway.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Q)"I'm afraid you're missing like 99% of the story there. "

A)

- this is the statement by which you say the problem is fixed?
"We will do our best to make it flow toward Europe as soon as possible," Ukrainian gov spokesman.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Russia opens gas taps to Europe

Not over, could re-ignite at a moments notice and not solved to anyone's satisfaction. They could not prove that Ukraine had stolen gas (which means that it didn'thappen)

- The problem of not being able to pressurize the pumps without that oil exacerbates the problem, effecting supply lines for over 50% of Eastern Europe's supply, punishing the world oil market, and in turn throwing a wrench in the process of oil devaluation on world markets, slowing the recovery of the US economy, and punishing virtually everyone they don't like to the tune of human lives for the defensive actions of the world against their nuclear power. Essentially proving the exact reasons the world should be vigilant towards the threat posed by renewed tunnel-vision nationalism in Russia.

AND I'll take being a snotty teenager any day to being someone that pushes buttons that put millions of lives at stake because a payment was delayed, without any evidence of any unapproved gas allotment.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 PM

179 posts, read 436,662 times
I personally see no reason not be satisfied with the outcome.
Like I said before, this was basically a quarrel between Russia and the Ukraine about the gas price. The same has happenend time and time again before and like this time. They agreed on a price now, case closed.
Yeah, Russia is full of B.S. there, but the consequences of this crisis and not even remotely to what you're picturing them to be.
I understand that you find it rather unpleasant that Russia has power over gas, oil, nucular weapons etc. but that's how it is and it's not going away. The idea that the US actually could force Russia to do anything by imposing sanction or something is delusional.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM

Default Not delusional

If you are a sit down kind of person keep sitting down, but don't say standup people are delusional.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 AM

258 posts, read 922,337 times
I want to move back to Chicago in the future but I'm staying put down here till the city is in better financial shape.

At least here I can make tourist dollars.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
I want to move back to Chicago in the future but I'm staying put down here till the city is in better financial shape.

At least here I can make tourist dollars.
Tourism is usually hit pretty hard during recessions. Vacations are the first things that families cut during hard times.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,208,808 times
How in the world does this directly have to do with Chicago?

This thread should be in the politics forum.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Russia and Ukraine got in a fight over their gas prices.....and you realize we're talking natural gas here...not oil.

The gas flows to and THROUGH Ukraine on its way to other eastern european countries.

Russia god angry and stopped gas shipments to Ukraine, but the gas for everyone else was still sent through the pipelines.

Ukraine started siphoning off gas because they desperately needed it, and in the end of course people downstream started seeing their supplies fall drastically.

Russia got more pissed at Ukraine doing this, so they completely stopped gas shipments.

All this has gone on before, and it's because of bickering between Russia and the Ukraine. They aren't exactly friends.

I don't see what this has to do with Chicago, and I guess I just don't really understand the rationalization of most of the OP.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Default OP is POed

OP is PO'ed that we just sat back on this, and wants Chicago politicians like Obama to take agressive action on this stuff in the future. In addition, YES it is oil. Not natural gas. In addition, there is no evidence at all that Ukraine stole anything. Russia has the meters, so the evidence should be there, but it's not.. Ukraine just can't "siphon" it off.

BBC NEWS | Business | Ukraine raps Russia oil 'bullies'

The effect on world energy prices is very real I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies