Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Um, many of our taxes are paid voluntarily.
Really? All I have to tell them is that I don't want to pay taxes and I don't have to?? I guess you better go back to school and think about the word "voluntary" for a minute... voluntary means without consequence, that is why it is voluntary....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nothing but a low-brow fallacy of equivocation based on two different meanings of the word "voluntary". The US does in fact have a voluntary system of income taxation, as it is the taxpayer who tells the IRS how much tax he or she owes, rather than the other way around. This is a perfectly ordinary use of the word "voluntary" in that context, but Jan Bozo or whatever wants it to mean "optional".
You have got to be kidding me. Curb the faux intellectualism for a little bit and use your brain once in awhile.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Curb the faux intellectualism for a little bit and use your brain once in awhile.
No, it seems that the more arrogant one is, the more self-deluded they are in their own semantic interpretation. Seems fitting.

Apologists tend to massage the truth a bit. You should see the reply concerning the tax cheat who's now Treasury Secretary. I suppose it's merely a coincidence that it was a Democratic pick to hear this apologist talk.

Pretty simple algorithm to follow actually.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
What is really idiotic is for the Regressive Republicans to think that no taxes is a realistic stance, given their propensity for warmongering and costly incompetence.

Perpetuating divisiveness is expensive, as the village idiot showed during his disastrous, shameful 8 years at the helm.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I, for one, am thinking that you're about as dumb as they come. For one thing Geithner is Secretary of the Treasury, not head of the IRS, and more to the point, at least half of the top 5% of income earners in this country are "tax cheats" if Geithner is. It is perfectly common in our voluntary system, for the taxpayer and the IRS to disagree over the actual amount of tax that is owed. Those disagreements are resolved sometimes in favor of the IRS and sometimes in favor of the taxpayer. That's how the system works. No one is a tax cheat for having had the IRS disagree with him or her. I guess you just don't make enough to be in an income bracket where this sort of thing would come into play very often, otherwise you'd have already realized all this from first-hand experience...
Except that "at least half of the top 5% of income earners in this country" did not run for office claiming to be the open, transparent, and ethical alternative to the "corrupt" Republicans. OTOH, The Great Charlatan Obama (and by association Gheitner) did.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the patriotic duty of every free citizen in this country to keep as much money out of the hands of the corrupt, coercive IRS as possible. In my opinion, it is impossible to "cheat" the IRS, just as it is impossible to cheat the mob or any other bunch of common thugs. They in fact are the cheats.

But, if you are going to put yourself out there as the new face of morality and ethics in American Politics, then hire a tax scofflaw as your Treasury Secretary and pretend all is well, that makes you a stinking hypocrite in my book. So what else is new, Obama is a Politician just like the rest. No change there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies