Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 AM

20,276 posts, read 37,049,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Look, man, it was a GALLUP POLL, one of the oldest and most experienced firms in the polling business. I linked to the page that identified that 350,000 persons were interviewed. By my arithmetic, that would be 7,000 persons interviewed PER STATE. How's that?

I think that Gallup has enough information about the relevant demographic parameters of their interviewees for the results to be a statistically representative sample for the purposes of the poll.
I have lived in Alaska for nearly 30 years, and can tell you that this poll is bunk. There are a lot of non-church goers in Anchorage, but the rural areas and small towns are much different. For example, right in the very small town of North Pole, I can tell you by memory that there are four churches across NAPA Auto Parts within one mile along the Richardson Highway. And I am telling you about four churches along one road. Two of these churches are on the same block. I remember manhattan long ago, where in some areas it seemed that there was a bar at each corner. The churches around here remind me of that situation in Manhattan. No kidding The Native populations in Alaska are very religious, too. In fact, there are several religious radio stations, and one of the most powerful TV stations (KUAC) is religious. Perhaps the largest church in Alaska is located near C Street in Anchorage, and their services are televised in two TV stations.

Even at the City Assembly meetings of most Alaska towns, they begin with a prayer.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-29-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,980,470 times
The top 10 list is like a red state and blue state divide (I know, I know... NC turned blue).
That cartoon on Jesusland sort of makes sense now..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,431,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Look, man, it was a GALLUP POLL, one of the oldest and most experienced firms in the polling business. I linked to the page that identified that 350,000 persons were interviewed. By my arithmetic, that would be 7,000 persons interviewed PER STATE. How's that?

I think that Gallup has enough information about the relevant demographic parameters of their interviewees for the results to be a statistically representative sample for the purposes of the poll.
Likely most of those interviewed were in the urban parts of Alaska (Anchorage, etc.) and not necessarily representative of the entire state.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Likely most of those interviewed were in the urban parts of Alaska (Anchorage, etc.) and not necessarily representative of the entire state.
MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE! But aren't the urban areas the population centers? I mean, I understand there are people scattered around in the wilderness there, but that doesn't add up to a lot of people.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,839,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And Massachussets has the lowest divorce rate.

Southern bible thumper States just can't win...LOL

How's that for family values?...... Massachussets by example, just told these holy rollers to go stuff a sock in it...LOL

STATE-BY-STATE DIVORCE RATES
There are a lot of Catholics in MA. We tend to get married later than most and do not get divorced as often... Of course our two senators, Kerry and Kennedy, are both Catholics that have gotten divorced and they get re-elected...

Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am honestly taken aback over and over again each time I see a Palin thread. :P For me it's like she never existed. It's weird...she was SUCH news for a while...then she just disappeared.

I don't really have a comment on her religious views now that she won't be pushing them down my throat. :P
Shows you don't pay attention to the news.

By-the-way, when did she ever push her religious views down your throat? Or when did she threaten to?

You know what I don't like? The non-religious pushing their godless views down my throat, and trying to sabotage my government and make it conform to their godless thinking.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,366,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am honestly taken aback over and over again each time I see a Palin thread. :P For me it's like she never existed. It's weird...she was SUCH news for a while...then she just disappeared.

I don't really have a comment on her religious views now that she won't be pushing them down my throat. :P

Yes, but don't underestimate her. She may not have a brain in her head, but she's a natural politician with a killer instinct and not a trace of ethics. She has a rare opportunity and can smell the blood. Polls this week show voter preference running 2:1 in favor of Democrats. The RNC has already said they plan to make no changes, but to stick with their current demographic. That means no move toward the centrist Republican values of the 1960's. Given that, (1) Sarah exemplifies the Demographic they've chosen better than any other. (2) With this Party Platform, no Republican has any chance of winning the Presidency any time soon. Thus she won't be expected to win, but to serve as a standard bearer and rallying point. (3) There is always the chance that Obama will screw up in some unimaginable way that would give her a chance, or that some external event would have that effect. In the meantime, the Neocons will continue to gnaw at Obama's base of support, alleging problems and failures that don't exist, or representing business as usual as such. Since that strategy backfired so badly for them during the election I don't mind a bit if they do, or if they have Sarah egging them on. Even though this may not help the Republicans, she's bound to make a lot of money. After all, the RNC owes her a trashbag full of designer clothes, and I expect she means to have it.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the contrary. There are a lot of religious people in Alaska, just like other States. All depends on where the poll was conducted. For example, if conducted in the tree and bunny hugger liberal neighborhoods of Anchorage and Juneau, that's the kind of result you get. But if you conduct the poll in the rural areas, the outcome is the opposite. Palin is religious like a lot of other people, but as far as I remember has never talked about religion in her daily political life, nor at her job as a governor.
This is so true. The liberals think that everyone thinks like they do; that they are in the majority of American thought. Actually, the opposite is true.

I live in rural Ohio. Almost everyone goes to church, and there are churches all over the place. Not only that, but their kids go with them, and are involved in the youth groups.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Palin is SO 2008.
Exactly what does that mean?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have lived in Alaska for nearly 30 years, and can tell you that this poll is bunk. There are a lot of non-church goers in Anchorage, but the rural areas and small towns are much different. For example, right in the very small town of North Pole, I can tell you by memory that there are four churches across NAPA Auto Parts within one mile along the Richardson Highway. And I am telling you about four churches along one road. Two of these churches are on the same block. I remember manhattan long ago, where in some areas it seemed that there was a bar at each corner. The churches around here remind me of that situation in Manhattan. No kidding The Native populations in Alaska are very religious, too. In fact, there are several religious radio stations, and one of the most powerful TV stations (KUAC) is religious. Perhaps the largest church in Alaska is located near C Street in Anchorage, and their services are televised in two TV stations.

Even at the City Assembly meetings of most Alaska towns, they begin with a prayer.
You vastly overestimate the impact of small towns on the overall population. Just because you happen to be surrounded by a higher percentage of people adherent to a religion doesn't mean it transcends to very much in the overall population count - especially in rural areas. And I have lived in rural and urban areas.

Anyway - is "church going" really the definiton of religious? I am deeply spiritual, but wouldn't step foot in a church to save my life (no pun intended!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies