Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

I have only been old enough to vote for two presidential elections, and so far I have not voted for a republican or democratic candidate. I am registered as 'no party affiliation', and reading over threads on this board I can't help but get frustrated. It seems democrats and republicans on this message board do nothing but attack each other with absolutely no regard for respect or prudent thought. I was told at a very young age the only way to approach a disagreement is to assume the other person is right and try to prove them wrong. Doing this I have realized the validity of many points of view I initially disagreed with.

My question is for conservatives and liberals alike: why is there such anamosity for the opposing group? Is it at all possible the solution to political problem lies somewhere in between your respective viewpoints? I am just curious, as I have never really understood the hatred over political ideas. Aren't all Americans on the same side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Good question.

Much of it stems from the debates about issues near to the heart. Issues such as taxation, social responsibilities, abortion, gay rights and intervention have significant sentiments on both sides. When the other side demonizes your position, after awhile...

Nothing wrong with the battle, IMHO.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
The problem is two fold.

The first and easiest explanation is that those who defend their 'party' by demonizing those 'other guys' really aren't...well, they are not the best and the brightest if you know what I mean Because it takes a certain amount of critical thought to be able to debate a position. It takes the ability to concede the other sides rationales on occasion. And for some people (both red and blue) that will never do. It is much, much easier to blame everything and anything on those 'repugs' and 'democraps'.

The second and more complex reason is both major parties, themselves. They have no interest in actual debate. If they really talked in depth about the issues, they just may have to admit that their side was wrong, or that the other side just might have a good idea from time to time. They will never risk exposing their rabid (and vacous) voters to that. They understand that modern day politics has become a numbers game, and everything is about power...who controls the senate and who controls the congress. Long gone are the days when either party had the good of the nation as a whole as their paramount objective. Now, it is the good of the party first and the good of their parties major donors second.

Which bring us back to point number one.....it is in the best interest of both parties to stir the pot, and hope that their supporters are so busy pointing fingers and calling names that they don't look at the little man behind the curtain. And it is working. So, everytime you come to these boards and you read an otherwise well written post that does nothing but slam 'those guys' for what 'they did/want to do" just know that those posters are being played like the fools that they are. And they don't even know it. Almost makes me feel sorry for them.......if they weren't destroying our country and political system, that is.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The problem is two fold.

The first and easiest explanation is that those who defend their 'party' by demonizing those 'other guys' really aren't...well, they are not the best and the brightest if you know what I mean Because it takes a certain amount of critical thought to be able to debate a position. It takes the ability to concede the other sides rationales on occasion. And for some people (both red and blue) that will never do. It is much, much easier to blame everything and anything on those 'repugs' and 'democraps'.

The second and more complex reason is both major parties, themselves. They have no interest in actual debate. If they really talked in depth about the issues, they just may have to admit that their side was wrong, or that the other side just might have a good idea from time to time. They will never risk exposing their rabid (and vacous) voters to that. They understand that modern day politics has become a numbers game, and everything is about power...who controls the senate and who controls the congress. Long gone are the days when either party had the good of the nation as a whole as their paramount objective. Now, it is the good of the party first and the good of their parties major donors second.

Which bring us back to point number one.....it is in the best interest of both parties to stir the pot, and hope that their supporters are so busy pointing fingers and calling names that they don't look at the little man behind the curtain. And it is working. So, everytime you come to these boards and you read an otherwise well written post that does nothing but slam 'those guys' for what 'they did/want to do" just know that those posters are being played like the fools that they are. And they don't even know it. Almost makes me feel sorry for them.......if they weren't destroying our country and political system, that is.
I hope everyone on this forum reads this gem, and allows themselves to be humbled, and made to think...just a little.

Thank you.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The problem is two fold.

Nuff' Said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies