Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Too true....I once knew a woman who was white with a college degree but lived on welfare (free housing, food stamps, medical) in a one bedroom apartment with her two children. She bitched mightily when her youngest went to kindergarten and the state was preparing to kick her off the dole. She thought it not right that she didn't get to be a 'stay at home mom' anymore
Btw, she did have her degree in education and once forced off welfare she did become a very good kindergarten teacher.
I don't know why you would want to live off the system when you can very well work and have your OWN money without restrictions on it. (I've heard with WIC you can only by certain foods)
I don't even see why the state allowed her to be on welfare. They could have just said, "We have lots of openings for teacher in x school district. If you can't find a job, THEN we'll put you on welfare" and I would make her be accountable for every interview and see if she was sabotaging the interviews. If so, no welfare at all.
If she wanted to be a stay at home mom so badly, she should have worked for a while, saved up her money while working and THEN became a stay at home mom on her own dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
So...just because she is white has a college degree, she can't be a welfare queen?
No, I think it was in reference to the OPs insistence that the mother was an illegal immigrant having sex with many many men just so she could could receive public assistance.

Quote:
O.K. I don't know about you but a young single mother, living at home with parents and 6 children from previous sexual encounters who then goes out and uses fertility drugs imported from Mexico; my speculation - in order to conceive a litter of 8 more babies (so she could take advantage of public assistance) does not deserve a dime of my tax money to take care for them.Young Latina with 6 other kids.I want to know if she's legally in the USA.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No, I think it was in reference to the OPs insistence that the mother was an illegal immigrant having sex with many many men just so she could could receive public assistance.
Yeah, I read the OP.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I don't know why you would want to live off the system when you can very well work and have your OWN money without restrictions on it. (I've heard with WIC you can only by certain foods)
I don't even see why the state allowed her to be on welfare. They could have just said, "We have lots of openings for teacher in x school district. If you can't find a job, THEN we'll put you on welfare" and I would make her be accountable for every interview and see if she was sabotaging the interviews. If so, no welfare at all.
If she wanted to be a stay at home mom so badly, she should have worked for a while, saved up her money while working and THEN became a stay at home mom on her own dime.

I don't understand it, either. But that is exactly what happened -- once her youngest was in school all day the state stepped in and said you will be cut off, get a job. So she did, but only because she was forced to. Sad though, as she did really make a great kindergarten teacher -- her students loved her. Maybe it was fear that prevented her? I don't know, but I am willing to bet everything that this octoplet mother has extensive mental illness.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know, but I am willing to bet everything that this octoplet mother has extensive mental illness.
I wonder why her mother didn't step in if she knew her daughter was obsessed with having kids as a teenager? You would think there would be somebody she could talk to and say "hey, my daughter has an obsession with babies andt hat overpowers her common sense that she has no means or place to care for these babies." I wonder how long it will be before the name of the doctor who did the implants work

Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I wonder why her mother didn't step in if she knew her daughter was obsessed with having kids as a teenager? You would think there would be somebody she could talk to and say "hey, my daughter has an obsession with babies andt hat overpowers her common sense that she has no means or place to care for these babies." I wonder how long it will be before the name of the doctor who did the implants work
Very good point.
If the mother knew her doctor had issues, she should have done more to try to prevent this from happening.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
What a crazy situation. To have 6 kids, and for some insane reason want more, only to give birth to 8 more! Hey - have all the kids you want, but only given:

1 - You do not need any public assistance AT ALL to do so

2 - You can then support all children through age 18 without the help of others.

If both of those don't apply, be responsible enough to keep the pants on.

I hope she pays all debt incurred for the delivery and all related medical care, and all costs related to raising them. If she even has to get one penny of public assistance then shame on her. IMO, it's akin to extortion! She is, in a way, extorting money from those in her community to pay for her irresponsibility!

This whole thing chaps my hide though - my wife and I are trying to save up enough money to get fertility treatment and will more than likely need IVF, and we are working our butts off to do so. It's a race against the clock due a condition my wife has and it's stressing us out. Then I read a story like this and just shake my head in disgust!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Maybe this woman is watching too many episodes of the Duggar family

(Note: In case you don't know, the Duggar family has a reality show on TV. They are fundamentalist nut-job Christians who just had their 18th child).

Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Oh, I am sure there are going to be nurses/ultrasound techs/lab techs etc.. from that clinic who will make quite a bit of $$$ to reveal who the dr is.
As to the grandmother...It sounds like the mother didn't start all of this till she was an adult. Unfortunately, once someone is an adult you cannot make them get a mental health eval or treatment. From the sound of it, aside from her preoccupation with babies she was not a risk for harming herself or others. The grandmother had her hands tied. Then too, many grandmothers in this position worry that by not surporting the daughter (in this case literally and figuratively) that something bad will happen to the children. It is a no win situation for the grandparents, and I have to say knowing some grandparents who are in similiar circumstances it makes me empathsize less with the mother of the 14.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I think the mother has to have some kind of mental illness. No one in their right mind would want that many kids without a partner to help care for them. I think her parents should have done something to keep it from going this far, and I think the doctor should have refused to do the procedure. When it comes out who the doc is, I think he or she is going to be in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies