Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I think people are confusing in-vitro fertilization (IVF) with fertility drugs. With IVF, the clinic implants a few fertilized embryos into the womb. They do not implant six embryos, plus it's an expensive procedure. It's really only apropos in cases where conventional sex isn't producing babies. This mom clearly didn't need or have IVF.

The other much simpler option is fertility drugs. In this case, drugs are taken to stimulate the release of multiple eggs from the ovaries. There could be many eggs released, anything from a few to a dozen. The mom then has conventional sex, and eggs are fertilized. You could have a dozen babies this way. All you need to do is get your hands on some clomid pills, which is probably what happened in this case.

BTW, clomid is also used at the beginning of an IVF cycle to cause the mom to release the eggs which are harvested for the procedure.
I'm not confused. Why do people think I"m confused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM

All of what is in the OP COULD be true. But, at this point, it is all just assumptions. Just wait and see what happens. IF it is all true, then we'll have a real discussion.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 66,454 times
If that is true what the news is saying, then this is wrong on all levels.

Here is my 2 cents. I believe that this woman has a fascination with multiples and probably loves that stupid show Jon & Kate Plus 8. She probably got fertility drugs from outsourcing (Mexico or Canada) or she went to a doctor and lied about her previous children. What happened here is more than a single woman who now has 14 children. What is wrong is the fact that our country puts people who give birth to HOM (higher order multiples) on a pedestal. They get free products, fame and free education for their kids. Hello the Gosselins!! Two WHITE TRASH scammers that use their children for a profit.

She is not the only woman out there that is trying to have a multiple birth. Go on any parent website and you will see tons of posts about mom's who are secretly using fertility drugs for the simple reason to have multiples. Post after post is women who want HOM to become special. Eating Clomid like chocolate. It is a travesty that this is happening.

These children will have lifelong disabilities. There needs to be more guidelines when it comes to handing fertility drugs out like candy. What a disgrace. More children on public assistance. It's very sad.

Last edited by mousehair; 01-29-2009 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I know that. What's your point?

My point is that it is 100% unlikely that she had the immaculate conception here. It was not by natural means that she just happened to have multiples. It was fertility drugs.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My point is that it is 100% unlikely that she had the immaculate conception here. It was not by natural means that she just happened to have multiples. It was fertility drugs.
I never said it was natural. I know that is impossible.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
One word for all of this.....creepy.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,750 times
Tonight's local news claimed to have interviewed her off camera but she still doesn't want her name revealed. She said she did take fertility drugs to conceive, under her doctor's care, but this wasn't expected. Once it was known she was carrying multiples, she was offered the advice/option to reduce the number, but decided against it. The last line of the report was...
"Now that the family is fine, her husband will be returning to Iraq to complete his tour of duty."

Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Tonight's local news claimed to have interviewed her off camera but she still doesn't want her name revealed. She said she did take fertility drugs to conceive, under her doctor's care, but this wasn't expected. Once it was known she was carrying multiples, she was offered the advice/option to reduce the number, but decided against it. The last line of the report was...
"Now that the family is fine, her husband will be returning to Iraq to complete his tour of duty."

whose husband is this, b/c, from what I've heard, the mother's martial status is not confirmed. and from another article:

""It's going to be difficult," Suleman (the lady's mother) added, noting that her daughter's father is going back to Iraq, where neighbors said he worked as a contractor, to help support the expanded family."

from this quote, it sounds like it's the GRANDFATHER going off to Iraq, not the octuplets' mystery father

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Maybe she can set up a baby sitting coop with an equally crazy family, the Duggars www.duggarfamily.com. She can aspire to be like them....18.
You comparing 14 out of wedlock children to the Duggars is crazy.

Why are the Duggars considered crazy? Because they're different? They do look strange but so do most kids hanging out at a mall IMO.

I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of kids (one's enough for us) but the Duggars all seem like a pretty loving and cohesive family to me.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a responsible father in the picture. I guess that's what "The Village" is for these days. Wonderful.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousehair View Post
If that is true what the news is saying, then this is wrong on all levels.

Here is my 2 cents. I believe that this woman has a fascination with multiples and probably loves that stupid show Jon & Kate Plus 8. She probably got fertility drugs from outsourcing (Mexico or Canada) or she went to a doctor and lied about her previous children. What happened here is more than a single woman who now has 14 children. What is wrong is the fact that our country puts people who give birth to HOM (higher order multiples) on a pedestal. They get free products, fame and free education for their kids. Hello the Gosselins!! Two WHITE TRASH scammers that use their children for a profit.

She is not the only woman out there that is trying to have a multiple birth. Go on any parent website and you will see tons of posts about mom's who are secretly using fertility drugs for the simple reason to have multiples. Post after post is women who want HOM to become special. Eating Clomid like chocolate. It is a travesty that this is happening.

These children will have lifelong disabilities. There needs to be more guidelines when it comes to handing fertility drugs out like candy. What a disgrace. More children on public assistance. It's very sad.
I so agree! I don't know how struggling parents of singletons deal w/ all the freebies being lavished on women who give birth to litters!

at some point, it became very chic to have twins and litters. look at how many celebrities that had twins: Angelina Jolie, Marcia Cross, Rebecca Romijn, Jennifer Lopez, I'm sure the list goes on. now granted, I'm not implying all of these women had help, and many of them were older, but they added a lot of hype to the twin thing. there's something about twins that people think is so cute (hell, when i was younger, I wanted identical twin girls. I know better now! )

now we have the issues of litters (or HOMs, to put it more nicely, but I'm calling them litters from here on out). glorification of these litters began long before most of the Gosselin children were born. I remember back in the 90's when those quints were born, how they got all that stuff donated (a house, cars, and diapers for life), were featured on multiple magazines and news programs. there was even a "10 Years Later" update a while back (sadly, not all of these kids are 100% healthy, as is to be expected w/ these births). and now of course, you've got shows like "Jon and Kate+8" and to a lesser degree "17 and Counting", and you see these massive families going on fun trips and getting interviewed and basically becoming famous for turning her vagina into a clown car and pushing out a small litter! I hope w/ this litter, people open up their eyes and stop the madness. according to one article I read, this woman is already receiving gifts. sure, send her flowers if you want, but if I see another major company handing out free cribs/cars/houses, I'm going to blow a fuse! no more lifetime supply of Pampers and Gerbers, no more Dateline specials, no more TV shows. stop glorifying these people!

oh, and even if the mother isn't on welfare, don't think you aren't somehow paying for this. I can;t find the article now, but premature babies, especially premature multiples, are costing hospitals and states a lot of money. these babies end up spending weeks-months in ICU, most will have debilitating health issues that will require future operations and medications, most will have some learning difficulties, resulting in special education. the people of CA are paying for these kids one way or another, even if the mother never ends up on welfare.

you can bet there will be a serious investigation into this and maybe some rule changes regarding fertility treatments. the lady hasn't even been identified yet; given the comments I've seen, she shouldn't be expecting any national congrats and free cars anytime soon. as it should be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies