Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Obama: $18B In Wall Street Bonuses "Outrageous"
President Barack Obama said Thursday it was "outrageous" that Wall Street employees got more than $18 billion in bonuses last year. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the president told his staff of his reaction to the report by the New York state comptroller about bonuses paid by the securities industry to its New York City employees last year.
"Whether it's government or the financial system, we're not going to be able to do what is needed to be done to stabilize our financial system if the American people read about this type of outrageous behavior," [Gibbs] told reporters. "I think it was the sixth-largest year of bonuses, and I don't think anybody that's opened their 401(k) statement has found out that this was the sixth best year for Wall Street."
Is it outrageous? Or is it their business what they do with their money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
How did Merrill Lynch's John Thain spend so much on the "redecoration" of his office just before ML was acquired by Bank of America?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28796511?slide=1

I like the $1,400 waste basket the best.

These CEOs on Wall Street think they are untouchable dukes.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Time to storm the "bastille!" methinks.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
How did Merrill Lynch's John Thain spend so much on the "redecoration" of his office just before ML was acquired by Bank of America?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28796511?slide=1

Im not defending it, just noting - in Merrill Lynch's big picture, that decorating bill wasnt really over the top. (I think a lot of the stuff were antiques, probably bought with an eye on how well they'd appreciate.)

They have, or had, something like 30 floors in the new financial bldg near where the WTC used to be. They were awash in money - and still are inside of Bank of America.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Should have been way more oversight and string's attached to the bill. I blame congress and anyone involved with the bill. The left conceded a bunch of crap to put the bill through and it was all total bs pork and didn't get what they wanted out of the bill.

I can't blame the businesses for doing what's in their best interest, but I can blame the government for not doing what was necessary to prevent that.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I can't blame the businesses for doing what's in their best interest,
And what is that?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

John Thain's Decorating Spree, For Less - Slideshows - CNBC.com

they are, when nothing happens to them they are indeed untouchable

Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
And what is that?
shoot, whatever their best interest is...

Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obama: $18B In Wall Street Bonuses "Outrageous"
President Barack Obama said Thursday it was "outrageous" that Wall Street employees got more than $18 billion in bonuses last year. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the president told his staff of his reaction to the report by the New York state comptroller about bonuses paid by the securities industry to its New York City employees last year.
"Whether it's government or the financial system, we're not going to be able to do what is needed to be done to stabilize our financial system if the American people read about this type of outrageous behavior," [Gibbs] told reporters. "I think it was the sixth-largest year of bonuses, and I don't think anybody that's opened their 401(k) statement has found out that this was the sixth best year for Wall Street."
Is it outrageous? Or is it their business what they do with their money?

Obama should be even more ashamed that he threw himself the most expensive inaugural in history, while the US economy is in the deepest recession in quite a while. 150 Million plus on an inauguration while citizens go hungry! That is the real shame!!!!!!!! His inaugural expenditures were the real outrage!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
And what is that?
Using money in whatever way they need to to make a profit. It's not my business and I'm not going to judge. Congress should have put strings on the money like "It's only to be used for these purposes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies