Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
Somehow i don't believe there has ever been such law.
There was a law that blacks out past curfew could be legally killed. Why not flip it around in retribution? Perhaps you should read some history, the Jim Crow era was not a pretty one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
there is nothing to understand. your wrong.

i am from a broken home. my father worked 2 jobs to put food on the table. i've lived in the same detroit any other detroiter black, white or other has lived.
Good for you..You're the one crying about "reverse-racism" and now "reverse-silver spoonism"..I just believe that both terms are a crock of crap.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
I didn't feel like reading tons and tons of posts. But I will say the term reverse racism is dumb. Racism is racism. Whites should not have to pay restitution. Our generation did not do anything. More money should, however, be allocated to inner city schools. More roles should be for minorities on TV (Including BET, Blacks portray a smaller percent of roles than they make up in population. Asian, have it the worst.) I'm all for abolishing racial affirmative action (I would like to see more roles on TV, but it would be un-American for me to want to mandate it). I think if we still have affirmative action, it should be based on income.

Realize that most people got to where they were since they were at a certain status already. So I know it's all over the place, but these are my two cents.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
There was a law that blacks out past curfew could be legally killed. Why not flip it around in retribution? Perhaps you should read some history, the Jim Crow era was not a pretty one.
"why not flip it around in retrobution?" i still don't believe that was a law. im fairly familiar with jim crowe and believe you when you say there was a law about blacks. after that i just don't believe it.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
man, that last part was a lil f'd up.
LOL!!! You even know it's true.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I'm finally going to open up about a topic that is sure to get me pilloried by who knows how many people around here. Luckily, it's a "controversy" and not likely to be moved or locked down.

I have been noticing, for about the past 12 years or so, a phenomenon I can best describe as "reverse racism". I understand how black people were oppressed back in the day as slaves, and repressed more recently until the civil rights movement of the 1960s. I am not saying that that stuff was "right" in any way. Let it be known, for the record, that I am an advocate of full equality.

However... it seems as though the once-repressed black people are now going supremacist on people of other races... mostly white people. Maybe they don't believe that they have achieved equality, but I really believe that the system allows this form of supremacy. Allow me to give some examples.

1) Black people have "BET" (Black Entertainment Television), a cable channel dedicated to programs which I imagine feature black people prominently. Okay, I have no problem with that. However, if white people decided to establish "WET" (ha ha), a channel which featured white people most prominently, the people who established the channel would be vilified by the media as KKK-sympathizing racist monsters.

2) Black people have "JET" magazine and "ESSENCE" magazine... magazines which appear to be focused on black people and black culture. Again... that doesn't bother me. We all have our culture and our history and I think we should be proud of those, no matter what. What bothers me is that it can't be "no matter what". If white people decided to establish "SNOW" magazine and "IVORY" magazine, with the exact same purposes and peaceful nature as the magazines that focus on black people... except that these magazines would focus on white people... again they would be universally lambasted as racist, KKK-influenced, Nazi-sympathizing periodicals.

3) I heard of an Election Day threat made by some kids (presumably black kids) at a high school not far from where I live... that they would kill all of the white kids in the school if Obama wasn't elected President. Okay... let's think about this. First of all, Obama is as much white as he is black... but if they want to call him black, let them call him black. You never heard of any white kids saying that they'd kill all of the black kids if McCain wasn't elected... and we all know that if such a threat were made, most likely ANYWHERE in AMERICA, it'd have been public knowledge (and probably national news) WAY sooner than the threat I heard. Who is the racist here?

4) I teach at a high school which is about 1/3 black, 1/3 white, and 1/3 other "minorities"... predominantly Hispanic and Latino. In the normal course of events as I go about my day, I hear more racist comments coming from the black kids than from any other ethnic group. I have to ask... what is up with that?

The list goes on and on, but I think I can stop for now. Back when black people were repressed, they were pressing for equality... Martin Luther King Jr. was a fighter for equality to the best of my knowledge... I recently read that he rarely brought up race in his speeches, choosing instead words like "everyone". These days, it seems as though a lot of black people want to turn the tables and become the American majority through laws and oppression rather than sheer numbers. In a company where most employees are black, nobody would say a word about racism. However, if most employees were white, that raises the risk of someone talking about racism.

I really want to know... why is this "reverse racism" becoming such a popular trend? Why was it never true equality? I mean, if America were truly a country that valued equality, then there would be no such thing as allowable reverse racism... and I think we all know that it is allowed. (By the way, some black people recognize this too and they don't like it any more than white people do. I can still hear a black friend of mine, during senior year in high school, complaining to me about how colleges were just blindly accepting her due to the fact that she was a smart, high-achieving black female. She wanted her achievements to be weighed against those of everyone else and THEN have the college admissions officers check her out to see how she compared.)

In my classes, I have a lot of smart and high-achieving kids from every race and I think that it's pretty obvious that racism has no place in my classroom. My highest-scoring kid from last marking period is black, my smartest kid is black, the kid who participates the most out of any of my classes is black... etc. Everyone gets what he/she earns, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone has a chance to succeed, and no matter who a person is or where he/she comes from, it's the same chance that everyone else has. I believe that's what American life should be about... but apparently, my thought process is not representative of everyone else's. Let's get talking.
1) Yes, Black Entertainment Television is the only ONE cable network devoted predominantly to Black culture. However, why don't Whites who scream "reverse racism" ever mention the several Latino networks (Telemundo, Univision, AztecaAmerica) or the stations which cater to Filipino, Korean, Chinese or Japanese interests (of which we have several in LA) White culture is predominate so there really is no need for an all White network.

2) Jet, Essence, Ebony, Sister-to-Sister etc. are magazines which focus on the Black community. I read them. My friends read them. They talk abouty MY kind of hair, skin, makeup, personal finances, literature, etc. These specifics are not addressed in mainstream magazines which cater to the general population. But yet again, the OP also fails to acknowledge Latina magazine, People in Espanol and other magazine publications that focus on the issues of importance to other communities.

I love fashion magazines. I love fashion, but I have not seen people that look like me represented consistently in magazines such as Vogue, Cosmo, Elle, Harper's Bazar, InStyle, etc. Ethnicity goes "in" and "out" of fashion, but I am still relevant so I purchase magazines that speak to ME.

3) Your comments here are basically attempts to enrage and elicit hatred and fear....so I will ignore and move on.

4) I am sorry that you hear racist comments coming from the students at your school. As an educator, it is your job to foster an environment of understanding and respect among the students of varying cultures and backgrounds at your school. Why aren't you being proactive? The fact that you happen to be an educator and are expressing your resentments about other cultures having media and publications which speak to their specific issues is a bit troubling. Why don't YOU start a dialog at your school? Isn't that your job?

My final point is that "reverse racism" is NOT what you have described. Reverse racism is not about having a Miss Black America pageant or publishing Essence magazine; reverse racism is about denying someone (a White person) their rights. That is not what you have expressed. What you have described is a level of discomfort that other ethnic communities have outlets to which you can not relate. It's a little troubling that you (an educator) does not know the difference.

So, are women (or men) supposed to not have magazines and television programs that cater to their interests because YOU do not understand them? Should we do away with Cosmo, O magazine and Good Houskeeping? Or should we eliminate Men's Health, Maxim magazine and Playboy?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Good for you..You're the one crying about "reverse-racism" and now "reverse-silver spoonism"..I just believe that both terms are a crock of crap.

what are you even talking about? ok, the term sucks. but whites are also victims of racism, so please argue for us as well when you fight for your equality issues.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I didn't feel like reading tons and tons of posts. But I will say the term reverse racism is dumb. Racism is racism. Whites should not have to pay restitution. Our generation did not do anything. More money should, however, be allocated to inner city schools. More roles should be for minorities on TV (Including BET, Blacks portray a smaller percent of roles than they make up in population. Asian, have it the worst.) I'm all for abolishing racial affirmative action (I would like to see more roles on TV, but it would be un-American for me to want to mandate it). I think if we still have affirmative action, it should be based on income.

Realize that most people got to where they were since they were at a certain status already. So I know it's all over the place, but these are my two cents.

more money should NOT be allocated to inner city schools. the money currently allocated is being wasted.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
1) Yes, Black Entertainment Television is the only ONE cable network devoted predominantly to Black culture. However, why don't Whites who scream "reverse racism" ever mention the several Latino networks (Telemundo, Univision, AztecaAmerica) or the stations which cater to Filipino, Korean, Chinese or Japanese interests (of which we have several in LA) White culture is predominate so there really is no need for an all White network.

2) Jet, Essence, Ebony, Sister-to-Sister etc. are magazines which focus on the Black community. I read them. My friends read them. They talk abouty MY kind of hair, skin, makeup, personal finances, literature, etc. These specifics are not addressed in mainstream magazines which cater to the general population. But yet again, the OP also fails to acknowledge Latina magazine, People in Espanol and other magazine publications that focus on the issues of importance to other communities.

I love fashion magazines. I love fashion, but I have not seen people that look like me represented consistently in magazines such as Vogue, Cosmo, Elle, Harper's Bazar, InStyle, etc. Ethnicity goes "in" and "out" of fashion, but I am still relevant so I purchase magazines that speak to ME.

3) Your comments here are basically attempts to enrage and elicit hatred and fear....so I will ignore and move on.

4) I am sorry that you hear racist comments coming from the students at your school. As an educator, it is your job to foster an environment of understanding and respect among the students of varying cultures and backgrounds at your school. Why aren't you being proactive? The fact that you happen to be an educator and are expressing your resentments about other cultures having media and publications which speak to their specific issues is a bit troubling. Why don't YOU start a dialog at your school? Isn't that your job?

My final point is that "reverse racism" is NOT what you have described. Reverse racism is not about having a Miss Black America pageant or publishing Essence magazine; reverse racism is about denying someone (a White person) their rights. That is not what you have expressed. What you have described is a level of discomfort that other ethnic communities have outlets to which you can not relate. It's a little troubling that you (an educator) does not know the difference.

So, are women (or men) supposed to not have magazines and television programs that cater to their interests because YOU do not understand them? Should we do away with Cosmo, O magazine and Good Houskeeping? Or should we eliminate Men's Health, Maxim magazine and Playboy?

ya, his examples sucked a$$.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Everyone listen up:

Tank is not a racist. I repeat, Tank is not a racist:

He just plays one on citystatistics.

Honestly, I dont understand your definition of soft Tanky, but I'd like you to show me. Cause I'll tell you stank Im the type of soft you wouldn't want to try. But you can talk all the crap you want on here, because you are safe. I wont even go any further, cause nothing will be solved from our computers and I wouldn't waist a chance at getting banned from someone as ignorant as you.
I don't know what "citystatisitcs" is..You have fun there but I'm a realist on City-Data.

Tell that to the kids that ran you out of a job and the people that scare you in your neighborhood..Too late to be tough after crying all over the thread.

You're a new school telephone tough-guy...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies